Archive:The Descendants of John Whitney, page 352
The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635, by Frederick Clifton Pierce (Chicago: 1895)
Transcribed by the Whitney Research Group, 1999.
|Previous page||Next page|
5291. iii. HENRY, b. July 21, 1831; d. -----. 5292. iv. GEORGE I., b. Dec. 14, 1833; m. Emily E. SWEET. 5293. v. EDWARD R., b. Mar. 25, 1836; d. from wounds received in the second battle of Bull Run. 5294. vi. CHARLES H., b. Apr. 23, 1839; m. Mary Jane KELLEY. 2770. STEPHEN WHITNEY (Isaiah, Isaiah, Isaiah, Isaiah, Thomas, John), b. Dec. 19, 1800; m. Lovilla GOLDIN. He d. in 1868; res. Burlington, Vt. 5295. i. SARAH, b. Sept. 30, 1834; m. T. B. WILSON; res. Jersey City, N.Y. 5296. ii. EDWARD P., b. Oct. 30, 1837; d. Sept. 10, 1873. 5297. iii. HELEN, b. May 14, 1840; m. William LARRYSHORE, of B. 5298. iv. ISAIAH W., b. Oct. 7, 1842; d. -----. 5299. v. HARRISON, b. Oct. 7, 1844; d. Sep. 9, 1865. 2778. Hon. EDWIN WHITNEY (Cyrus, Isaiah, Isaiah, Isaiah, Thomas, John), b. Oct. 12, 1812; m. Oct. 25, 1841, Lucia Mead WHITNEY, (see) b. Oct. 5, 1810; res. 789 Cass Av., Detroit, Mich. Hon. Edwin WHITNEY was born at Harvard, Mass. He was the son of Cyrus and Mary (WHITNEY) WHITNEY, grandson of Isaiah and Persis (RANDALL) WHITNEY, great- grandson of Isaiah and Elizabeth (WHITNEY) WHITNEY, and descended from John and Elinor WHITNEY, who settled at Watertown, Mass. in 1635. He was born on the Old homestead occupied by his ancestors, one of the first settlers of what is now the town of Harvard, and which has remained in the possession of the family down to the present time. Having grown up on a farm, he was early inured to manual labor. While residing at the family estate, He attended the common school of his native town until he was prepared to enter those of higher grade, when he went to Brattleboro, Vt. and became a student of that academy of that place. Here he applied himself with great diligence, in preparation for the study of his chosen profession of law. About the year 1834 he commenced the reading of law in the Office of Judge Cheever, of Albany, N. Y., where he remained two or more years. From thence he went to New York City, and completed his course of professional studies with Judge MORRELL, of that city, Having been admitted to the bar he at once became associated with Judge MORRELL in professional business. For some years he was constantly employed as public administrator of the city, in which position he was quite successful. But at the solicitation, as we are informed, of Col., Elijah HALE, he left New York in 1844, and removed to Stow, where he continued to reside during the remainder of his life. He soon became one of the most prominent and respected citizens of the town, always desirous and ready to do what he considered for the best interest of the community -- thou a man of unassuming manners, he was nevertheless possessed of those sterling qualities of mind and heart that prepared him to take a leading position where he resided. He was gifted with a good degree of public spirit, so that for nearly forty years he was a constant and efficient promoter of those measures calculated to advance the prosperity and development of all those interests conducive to the general welfare of the town, and the intelligence of its inhabitants. For a series of years he was an active member of the school committee, and a portion of time was also the efficient superintendent of the schools, in which he was deeply interested; and in various other positions he proved himself a faithful servant of the people among whom he lived. Not only in secular matters, but also in religious, his interest was strong and unwearied. He was an active and most devoted member of the First Parish Religious Society, which for a long period he served as one of the standing committee and a prominent supporter. To whatever was conducive to the welfare of the church of which he was a communicant, or of the cause of temperance which found him an unfaltering friend; as well as in everything calculated to promote sound morals and good citizenship, he was ever ready to lend a helping hand, and bid it a hearty God-speed. Not only was he desirous of furthering every project designed to advance the progress of universal education, general morality, and practical religion, but he also could inspire others to aid in the promotion of those noble objects. He was largely instrumental not only in inducing his friend, Col. Elijah HALE, a man of wealth and yet childless, to present to the First Parish, the parsonage house, and grounds now owned by them, but also to give the generous fund of $5,000 to establish and help support the high school, which bears the honored name of the donor. All this most unmistakably shows how thoroughly he had the best interests of the town at heart. Few towns have found a truer or more loyal adopted son than he. For some years previous to May 16, 1883, when occurred the two hundredth anniversary of the incorporation of the town, he was active in collecting material
|Previous page||Next page|
Copyright © 1999, 2006 The Whitney Research Group