Archive:The Descendants of John Whitney, page 553

From WRG
Jump to: navigation, search

Archives > Extracts > Archive:The Descendants of John Whitney > The Descendants of John Whitney, page 553

The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635, by Frederick Clifton Pierce (Chicago: 1895)

Transcribed by the Whitney Research Group, 1999.

Previous page Next page

5462. JOHN S. WHITNEY (Ezra, John, James, James, John, Jonathan, John), b. Eastport, Me., Aug. 4, 1819; m. June 6, 1850, Mary E. GELLUSSEORA at Therville Par- ish, La., b. Feb. 23, 1827. He has been postmast for about 25 years; res. Orange Lake, Fla. 8444x. i. HENRY EZRA, b. Mar. 7, 1851; d. Dec. 12, 1852. 8445x. ii. CHAS. A., b. Oct. 15, 1853; m. Cora B. HARRINGTON. 8446x. iii. JOHN A., b. Sept. 15, 1855; m. Beula S. CLEMENT. 8447x. iv. WM. P., b. July 17, 1857; m. Martha C. YOUNG 8448x. v. WALKER S., b. Oct. 11, 1859; d. June 1, 1881 8449x. vi. AUGUSTUS G., b. June 15, 1865; m. Nora HICKSON 8450x. vii. WALTER S., b. Apr. 16, 1867; unm. 5466. OLIVER A. WHITNEY (Ezra, John, James, James, John, Jonathan, John), b. Perry, Me., Oct. 24, 1829; m. at Ottawa Centre, Mich., Julia A. CONDOR. He is a farmer; res. Gilroy, Cal. 8451x. i. EZRA, B. -----; unm.; res. G. 8452x. ii. ARTHUR, b.-----; unm.; res. G. 5474. WARREN WHITNEY (Isaac, James, Benjamin, James, John, Jonathan, John), b. Sherborn, June 15, 1819; m. Mar. 29, 1845, Ann E. WATSON, b. Feb. 2, 1823. He was selectman in 1850-51-52 and 1853. He d. May, 1888; res. Sherborn Mass. 8453x. i. JULIA, b. -----; m. ----- HOSMER; res. So. Framingham. 8454x. ii. JOEL T., b. -----; res. So. Framingham. 5475. JAMES R. WHITNEY (Isaac, James, Benjamin, James, John, Jonathan, John), b. Sherborn, Feb. 24, 1821; m. there May 15, 1845, Susan A. CLARK, b. Nov. 2, 1822; d. Feb., 1878; He was a farmer. He d. Oct. 1880; res. Sherborn, Mass. 8455x. i. FRANK, b. Feb. 12, 1846; m. Elizabeth COOLIDGE. 8456x. ii. ELLA, b. Dec. 15, 1848; res. S.; unm. 5478. HON. FELIX GRUNDY WHITNEY (Martin, James, Benjamin, James, John, Jonathan, John), b. N. Attleboro, Mass., Dec. 9, 1818; m. Oct., 1848, Catherine G. BRIGGS, b. June 26, 1827; d. June 23, 1886. Mr. WHITNEY spent his boyhood in his native village. He enjoyed the advan- tages of attendance on its public schools with a supplementary course in the then famous Day's academy at Wrentham. He early showed a spirit of enterprise that distinguished him through life. When about 15 he left the parental roof and entered a wholesale grocery store on Bromfield street, Boston. He succeeded well, but his career as a grocer closed suddenly, and in this wise. Young WHITNEY had a friend who was going away on a voyage and he improved one evening by going down to the wharf to see him off. He returned a little late to the house of his employer, where, after the manner of those days, he made his home. The old gentleman could not brook such a grave offense in the youth and recommended that he report at N. Attleboro. But instead the spirited apprentice loaded his trunk into a wheelbarrow, and started for the wharf. For ten years Mr. WHITNEY followed the sea. He went on several long voyages and experienced his share of the vicissitudes of a sailor's life. On one hapless Wednesday his ship was burned to the water's edge and he was picked up next day by a vessel which was itself wrecked the following Saturday. Mr. WHITNEY in his second shipwreck made safe landing on an island, and the first vessel that touched refused him passage, because his story of two shipwrecks in four days was too improbable even for ears accustomed to the varied fact and fiction of the sea. He succeeded better the next time, and after a rough passage, during which the ship came near going ashore on Cape Hatteras, he arrived safely in Boston. Several of his voyages were in company with the late Capt. Abraham HAYWARD. His career as a sailor ended as unexpectedly as it had begun. He had shipped as first mate under a Capt. CHACE, for a long voyage, and went to the old homestead in N. Attle- boro, to await the summons of his captain. Days passed and no news came. Finally it was discovered that the latter had been detained ten days at E. Attleboro, and the ship had sailed without first mate WHITNEY. This incident, enforced by the entrea- ties of his friends that he would leave the ocean, and possibly by considerations not unconnected with his speedy and happy marriage, wooed him from the sea. One of his first enterprises, and one that his landsman neighbors discouraged, was the open- ing of Orne street, the first street opened off the main thoroughfare of Washington street. It was named af Mr. WHITNEY's mother. He worked a while for his brother George, then for H.M. RICHARDS, the prosperous jeweler. In Sept., 1849, he started

Previous page Next page

Copyright © 1999, 2006 The Whitney Research Group

Personal tools