Archive:The Descendants of John Whitney, page 583

From WRG
Jump to: navigation, search

Archives > Extracts > Archive:The Descendants of John Whitney > The Descendants of John Whitney, page 583

The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635, by Frederick Clifton Pierce (Chicago: 1895)

Transcribed by the Whitney Research Group, 1999.

Previous page Next page

weeks of age, where his entire life since that time has been passed. His health had been poor the early part of winter, but he had improved somewhat, when he rode to Pittsford one intensely cold day. He took a severe cold, from the effects of which he never recovered, failing gradually, and passed quietly away Sunday morning, Mar. 12. He bore his sufferings, which at times were great, uncomplainingly and with wonderful forti- tude. He knew he was going to die, and was very composed and resigned. 6364. NATHAN WHITNEY (Luther, Nathan, Jonathan, Jonathan, Jonathan, Ben- jamin, John), b. Seneca, N. Y., Jan. 2, 1812; m. Oct. 14, 1839, Betsey E. SCOTFORD, b. Oct. 14, 1809; d. Jan. 16, 1880. He was a farmer. He d. Dec. 13, 1867; res. Wheat- land and DeWitt, Mich. 8920. i. MARY C., b. June 24, 1841; m. Dec. 26, 1858, Francis T. FLEWELLING, b. July 26, 1831. Ch.: Frank Luther, b. Apr. 14, 1860; m. Nov. 11, 1880; res. 439 W. Superior St., Cleveland, O.; Ralph Tyler, b. Nov. 23, 1871; m. Aug. 16, 1893; res. Alma, Mich. 8921. ii. EZRA PARKER, b. Apr. 22, 1843; d. Jan. 5, 1876. 8922. iii. ETTA, b. Apr. 23, 1848; m. ----- TUCKER, and d. s. p., Aug. 5, 1871. 6372. COLUMBUS C. WHITNEY (Otis, Nathan, Jonathan, Jonathan, Jonathan, Benjamin, John), b. Seneca, N. Y., Oct. 9, 1819; m. July 3, 1847, Evealine YEAKLEY, b. Aug. 20, 1822; d. Mar. 30, 1848; m. 2d, May 14, 1849, Jane YEAKLEY, b. Sept. 2, 1819; d. June 14, 1882; m. 3d, Apr. 24, 1884, Elizabeth E. BROWN, b. Dec. 8, 1831; res. Clifton Springs, N. Y. 8923. i. EVA Y., b. June 6, 1850; m. Feb. 12, 1871, Morris Van GELDER, b. Dec. 23, 1843. She d. Oct. 12, 1883, in Sacramento, Cal. Ch.; Homer, b. Aug. 20, 1873; d. July 15, 1876; Claude W., b. Nov. 14, 1877; res. Acampo, Cal. 8924. ii. HOBART J., b. Apr. 14, 1853; unm.; res. C. S. 8925. iii. JESSIE SOPHIA, b. Sept. 15, 1857; d. Oct. 8, 1865. 6375. CAPT. OTIS WHITNEY (Otis, Nathan, Jonathan, Jonathan, Jonathan, Ben- jamin, John), b. Seneca, N. Y., June 13, 1821; m. Oct. 4, 1854, in Monterey, N. Y., Harriett Newell BARNES, b. Sept. 14, 1829. Otis WHITNEY, Jr., was born June 13, 1821, in the town of Seneca, Ontario Co., state of New York, where he lived till nearly thirty years of age, working on the farm, attending school and studying law; was admitted to the practice in the supreme court of the state of New York at a general term of the court held in the city of Auburn, county of Cayuga, on the first day of November, 1847, but never engaged actively in practice, having no relish or respect for it. He traveled and taught school for three years, and then went into partnership with his brother-in-law, Tyler H. ABBEY, who was a successful merchant at Watkins, Schuyler Co., state of New York, and continued in business up to the fall of 1854, when he caught the western fever and decided to take the advice of Horace GREELEY to "go west and grow up with the country." Before leaving he was united in marriage with the daughter of Dr. Enos BARNES, in western New York, a well known and popular physician and surgeon, and one of the earliest settlers on the west side of Seneca Lake. The newly married couple started immediately on the journey west, and finally located in Quas- queton, Buchanan Co., state of Iowa, where he purchased two hundred acres of land, intending to make a farm of it, but finding more satisfactory employment in town never settled on the land. Most of the time up to 1862 was spent in clerking, overseeing flour and saw mills, and acting justice of the peace, for which office his previous study of law was especially helpful. In the fall of 1862 he went into the army as first lieutenant of Company H, Twenty-seventh Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry. In camp of instruction he was familiar with the drill, etc., as he had been studying the tactics from the commencement of the war and in command of and drilling a company of home guards for more than a year. In a few weeks the regi- ment was ordered to the field, or as the popular phrase is, to the front, and not more than half drilled or disciplined. On Apr. 10, 1863, he became captain of the company by reason of resignation of Capt. Jacob M. MILLER, the previous captain, who became disabled and unable to endure active field service. WHITNEY was captain of the company up to the close of the war, and was discharged with the company and regi-

Previous page Next page

Copyright © 1999, 2006 The Whitney Research Group

Personal tools