Archive:The Whitney Family of Connecticut, page 118

From WRG
Jump to: navigation, search

Archives > Archive:Extracts > Archive:The Whitney Family of Connecticut > The Whitney Family of Connecticut, page 118

The Whitney Family of Connecticut

by S. Whitney Phoenix
(New York: 1878)

Transcribed by Robert L. Ward.

Previous Page Next Page
118
Fifth Generation.
that place. He was commander of a vessel in the South American trade, and was cast away in 1794. He died in Demerara, in August of that year, in consequence of his suffering and exposure in the shipwreck. His widow joined the Congregational Church, Derby, 13 Nov. 1808. She married (2d) Philo Northrop, and lived in Woodbridge, Conn., where she died at an advanced age, date not reported. She had, by her second husband, two children, Deborah Ann Northrop, and George Northrop.
436 III. Isaac Whitney, b. at Derby, Conn., in March 1767; died in Derby, 19 Oct 1769, aged 2 years and 7 months, and was buried in the old Episcopal Cemetery. He was probably bap. in the Congregational Church at Derby, 6 Aug. 1769, with Sheldon; but his name is not given.
437 IV. Sheldon Whitney, b. at Derby, Conn., about 1769; bap. in the Congregational Church at Derby, 6 Aug. 1769; perhaps died young.
438 V. Henry Whitney, b. at Derby, Conn., 30 July 1772; bap. in the Congregational Church at Derby, 2 Aug. 1772; a merchant in New York City; was married on Saturday evening, 30 July 1808, by Rev. Dr. Abeel, Dutch Reformed, to Mary Suydam, dau. of Hendrick and Phoebe (Skidmore) Suydam, of Hallett's Cove, L. I., where she was born 15 Sept. 1780. They dwelt, in 1809 and 1810, at 3 Stone Street, New York, directly opposite the house of his brother, Stephen Whitney; in 1811, at 75 Broadway, where he died, at 6 o'clock, on Saturday morning, 12 March 1812, of a malignant croup, which attacked him on the previous Thursday. He is buried in the Whitney Mortuary Chapel, Greenwood Cemetery.

He was a member of the honorable and highly respected film of Lawrence and Whitney, shippers, of New York City. They were, as we learn from the City Directory, at 12 Burling Slip, in 1793; cor. of Front Street and Burling Slip, 1794; 176 Front Street 1795; 181 Front Street 1796; 180 Front Street, 1797; 178 Front Street, 1798-1800; 182 Front Street 1801-1803; 167 Front Street, 1804; 85 South Street, 1805-1806; 185 Front Street, 1808-1812; and at 91 South Street in 1813-1814.

The general estimate of his character may be inferred from the following obituary notice, which appeared in The Evening Post: "In the lamented death of this worthy and excellent man, society has sustained no common loss. He was endowed with a penetrating and judicious mind, and his heart was the abode of every amiable and social virtue. To an invincible integrity, and elevated sense of honor, that rendered him one of the brightest ornaments of the mercantile profession, he united a philanthropy or disposition, and suavity of manners, which justly acquired him the affectionate esteem of all who had the pleasure of his acquaintance. To his chosen friends, he was peculiarly dear; he gave them his whole heart, and received their unlimited affection in return. Perhaps a more pure and

Previous Page Next Page
Personal tools