Family:Whitney, Ada Prescott (1842-1906)
Ada Prescott7 Whitney (Joseph S.6, Jacob5, Benjamin4, John3, Benjamin2, John1), daughter of Joseph S.6 and Jane (Bolan/Goodwin) Whitney, was born 9 Jun 1842, Phillips, ME, and died 1 Nov 1906, Auburn, ME.
She married firstly, 2 Sep 1857, Avon, ME, William H. McKeen, son of Henry and Deborah (Heath) McKeen. He was born 12 May 1837, Strong, ME, and died 3 Sep 1903, Phillips, ME. They were divorced Oct 1862. He married secondly Nellie A. Golder.
Ada married secondly, 20 Apr 1866, Lisbon, ME, James S. Burke. He was born Dec 1839, Litchfield, ME, and died 30 Jun 1903, Soldiers' Home, Togus, ME.
Ada had no children by either marriage. Both of her husbands were civil war veterans. William H. McKeen served in Co. D of the 28th Maine Infantry, and received a pension for his service. James S. Burke was 1st Lieutenant in Co. D, 8th Maine Infantry. He and Ada received benefits from the pension he received.
- 1870: Webster, ME
- 1880: Lewiston ME; Ada resides alone and James resides in a boarding house; both work in a shoe factory.
- 1900: James resides in the National Soldier's Home at Chelsea, ME.
- From the Civil War Pension File of James S. Burke: Co. D, 8th Maine Infantry; Ada P. Burke, Widow; Invalid Application # 591382, Certificate #388723; Widow's Application #794872, Certificate #592151.
- U.S., National Homes for Disabled Soldiers; Ancestry.com
- Maine, Death Records, 1761-1922; Ancestry.com
2.^ "Ada P. [Whitney] [Whitny in Int.] and James S. Burke, both of Lisbon, [married] Apr. 20, 1866," according to Marlene Alma Hinkley Groves, ed., Vital Records of Lisbon, Maine Prior to 1892, Maine Genealogical Society Special Publication No. 19 (Camden, ME: Picton Press, 1995).