Family:Whitney, Alfred Brown (1847-a1930)
He married, 2 Nov 1882, Tiffin, OH, Theodosia Elizabeth Beilharz, daughter of Dr. Beilharz, of Tiffin, OH. She was born 19 Oct 1847.
Rev. Alfred Brown Whitney was born in Boston, the son of Samuel Brown and Sarah (Brown) Whitney. She was a native of Edgecomb, ME. He attended the public schools in Boston, graduated from the English High school, studied at the Boston Latin school for college, attended, also, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, to prepare for civil engineering, but afterward entered Brown university at Providence, RI, to fit for the ministry. He subsequently, in 1881, was graduated from the Newton, MA, Theological institution. 13 Dec 1863, he enlisted for the war, and went to the front in the 11th Massachusetts Battery, of which his father was also a member. This was attached to the 9th corps (General A. E. Burnside's), Army of the Potomac. Their first engagement was the battle of the Wilderness. They were with Grant near Appomattox, when Lee surrendered. He was in some dozen battles and the siege of Petersburg for nine months. With his father, he was discharged in 1865, when he returned to school. In 1874, his mother and two sisters having died, and being in poor health, he went west, teaching school in Nebraska and Colorado. In 1875 he was ordained pastor-elect of the First Baptist church of Greeley, CO. Subsequently he was a general missionary in southwest Colorado under the American Baptist Home Mission Society, In 1882 he was married to Miss Theo E. Beilharz, daughter of Dr. Beilharz, of Tiffin, Ohio. He is now pastor of the South Street Baptist church, Indianapolis; resided Indianapolis, IN, 53 Fletcher Ave., s. p.
- 1880: not found.
- 1900, Salem, Columbiana Co., OH:
- 1910, Garrett, De Kalb Co., IN: Alfred Whitney
- 1920, Indianapolis Ward 4, Marion, IN: Alfred Whitney
- 1930, San Diego, San Diego Co., CA: Alfred B. Whitney
- All data imported from Frederick Clifton Pierce, The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635, (Chicago: 1895), p. 570.