Family:Whitney, Anson Shay (1809-a1880)
He married, 1 Mar 1835, Medina, NY, Mary Jane McMurphy, daughter of Robert and Martha (Comstock) McMurphy. She was born 12 Jul 1819, Batavia, NY, and died after 1880.
Phoenix says the following:
- ". . . a farmer . . . . He lived at Medina from 1827 to 1848; at North Pembroke, N.Y., for twenty-two years; at Medina, Mich., for two years; and then settled at Alexander, N.Y., where they were living in Jan. 1875."
Children of Anson Shay7 and Mary Jane (McMurphy) Whitney:
i. Robert Francis8 Whitney, b. 22 Jan 1836, Batavia, NY; m. Mary Ann Goodremont. ii. Elizabeth Roxana Whitney, b. 4 Mar 1838, Medina, NY; m. 5 Nov 1852, North Pembroke, NY, Samuel Jack, son of Samuel and Betsey (Husted) Jack. They settled at East Pembroke, and were living there in Dec 1874. iii. Louise Jane Whitney, b. 9 Oct 1842, Medina, NY; d. 31 Oct 1843, Medina, NY, and was buried there. iv. Charles Myron Whitney, b. 21 Apr 1846, Medina, NY; a farmer; was living with his father in Jan 1875, unmarried. v. Mary Louisa Whitney, b. 5 Nov 1848, North Pembroke, NY; m. 5 Nov 1868, North Pembroke, NY, Wallace James Wiley, son of James Cumings and Elizabeth (Corbet) Wiley, b. 24 Jul 1843, Pembroke, NY; a farmer. They settled at North Pembroke, and were living there in Dec. 1874, without children.
- 1840, Ridgway, Orleans Co., NY: Anson Whitney, 1 male 30-39, 1 male 20-29, 2 females 20-29, and 1 female 0-9.
- 1850, Pembroke, Genesee Co., NY:
1122 1187 Ansom Whitney 41 M - Miller $200 N.Y. Mary J. " 27 F - N.Y. Robert F. " 14 M - N.Y. Attended school Elizabeth " 12 F - N.Y. Attended school Charles " 4 M - N.Y. Attended school Louisa J. " 2 F - N.Y. Martha Fay 64 F - Ct.
85 81 Ansa Whitney 51 M - Miller $1535 $50 N.Y. Mary 40 F - N.Y. Robert 24 M - Miller N.Y. Charles 14 M - N.Y. Attended school Laura E. 11 F - N.Y. Attended school
- 1870: not found.
- 1880, Alexander, Genesee Co., NY:
Ansen WHITNEY 70 Self M M W NY Farmer CT CT Mary WHITNEY 60 Wife F W NY Keeping House MA MA Charles N. WHITNEY 40 Son M W NY Farmer NY NY Adelle WHITNEY 27 DauL F W NY Keeping House NY NY John VANLOOM 20 Othe M S W CAN Farm Laborer CAN CAN
- All data imported from Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 503 and p. 1186.