Family:Whitney, Chester Coborn (1822-a1880)
Chester Coborn8 Whitney (Zerah7, James6, Samuel5, Samuel4, Nathaniel3, John2, John1), son of Zerah7 and Jane (Demond) Whitney, was born 18 Sep 1822, Genoa, NY, and died 3 May 1902, Worthington, MN. He was buried in Worthington Cemetery, Worthington, MN.
He married firstly, 29 Sep 1845, Sturgis, MI, Amanda Malvina DePuy, daughter of Moses M. and Elizabeth (Hedges) Depuy. She was born 2 Jul 1815, Geneseo, NY, and died 13 Dec 1885, Worthington, MN, aged 70 years 6 months 11 days. She was buried in Worthington Cemetery, Worthington, MN.
He was born in Genoa, NY, and resided in Ada, MI, until 1848, when he moved to Wisconsin and resided there until 1868 when he moved to Worthington, MN. He has always lived a frontier life. In 1858 he crossed the plains to California and returned the same way three years later. During the civil war he served four years and two months. He was wounded in the battle of Pittsburg Landing. Resided Worthington, MN.
During the Civil War he served in Company A, 18th Wisconsin Infantry. G.A.R.
Phoenix says the following:
- "Chester Coborn Whitney, b. at Genoa, N. Y., 8 Sept 1822; a farmer; married at Sturgis, Mich., 29 Sept. 1845, by Rev. Henry Worthington, Methodist Episcopal, of Edwardsburgh, Mich., to Amanda Malvina Depuy, whose father then lived in St. Joseph Co., Mich. She was born in Geneseo, N. Y., 2 July 1815, dau. of Moses M. and Elizabeth (Hedges) Depuy. They lived in Ada, Mich., till 1848; then moved to Wisconsin, and lived in that State till 1868, when they removed to Minnesota, and were living at Worthington in 1873, on a prairie-farm. He has always lived a frontier life; and in 1858, crossed the plains to California, returning the same way to Wisconsin in Aug. 1861. He served four years and two months in the war of 1861, beginning in Co. A, 18th Reg., Wis. Vol. Infantry, and ending in the Veteran Reserve Corps. He was wounded in the right forearm, at the battle of Pittsburg Landing."
Children of Chester Coborn8 and Amanda M. (DePuy) Whitney:
i. Herbert Delos9 Whitney, b. 15 Aug 1846, Ada, MI; served in Company A, 18th Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry; was captured in the battle of Pittsburg Landing, held a prisoner four months, and then paroled at Montgomery, AL; resided Wrightstown, WI; unmarried in 1880. In 1890 he applied for a pension from WI, Application #855,880. ii. Oscar Marion Whitney, b. 29 Jun 1848, Ada, MI; m. Eliza Montague. iii. Edwin Foster Whitney, b. 13 Mar 1850, Mukwonago, WI; m. Louisa C. Middleton. iv. William Wiley Whitney, b. 3 Jun 1853, Taycheedah, WI; d. 22 Sep 1853, Taycheedah, WI.
1027 1048 Chester Whitney 29 M - Farmer N.Y. --- Amanda Whitney 35 F - Do --- Herbert C. Whitney 4 M - Mich. --- Osker Whitney 2 M - Do --- Edwin F. Whitney 4/12 M - Wis. --- Betsey Dessugh 63 F - N.Y. ---
979 972 Chester C. Whitney 37 M - Teamster $400 $30 New York Amanda " 34 F - " Herbert " 13 M - Michigan Attended school Oscar " 12 M - " Attended school Edwin " 10 M - Wisconsin Attended school
6 6 Whitney, C. C. 49 M W Teemster $400 $400 New York Male citizen over 21 -----, Amanda 54 F " Wife " -----, Oscar 22 M " Michigan Male citizen over 21
Hotel 13 15 Cook, Theodore 21 M B Cook in Hotel Alabama Male citizen over 21 Whitney, Herbert 23 M W Laborer Michigan Male citizen over 21 ...
- 1875 State, Worthington, Nobles Co., MN, p. 651:
23 Chester C. Whitney 52 M W N.Y. N.Y. N.Y. Amanda Whitney 58 F W N.Y. N.Y. N.Y. 24 Edwin F. Whitney 25 M W Wis. N.Y. N.Y. L. C. Whitney 25 M W Wis. England N.Y.
C. C. WHITNEY 57 Self M M W NY Farmer CT NY Amanda V. WHITNEY 62 Wife F M W NY Keeping House NY NY Herbert WHITNEY 32 Son M S W MI NY NY Edwin WHITNEY 28 Son M W W WI NY NY
- 1885 State, Worthington, Nobles Co., MN, p. XXXXX:
7 Chester C. Whitney 63 M W New York Amanda M. " 64 F W New York Wm. Geswender 24 M W Penn. Martin Hayden 25 " " " Father foreign born E. Ferden 18 " " Wis. Mellissa Haggard 22 F W "
67 70 Chester C. Whitney Private A 15 WI inf -- Oct 1861 -- Aug 1865 Worthington, MN Wounded in Right Arm
148 152 Whitney, E. F. Head W M Mar 1850 50 mar 13 Wisconsin New York New York Farmer, Owns mortgaged farm -----, Ida M. Wife W F Aug 1867 32 mar 13 1ch 1liv Ohio Ohio Ohio -----, Sadie T. Dau W F Aug 1888 11 sgl Minnesota Wisconsin Ohio At school -----, Chester C. Fath W M Sep 1822 77 wid New York Connecticut New York Crozier, Charles C. Srvt W M Nov 1875 24 sgl Iowa California Pennsylvania Farm laborer
- All data imported from Frederick Clifton Pierce, The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635, (Chicago: 1895), p. 466.
- Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), pp. 736-737; and pp. 1556-1557.
5.^ United States General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934, from Ancestry.com.