Family:Whitney, Daniel (1781-1848)
He married firstly, 26 Sep 1809, Huntington, NY, Amelia Valentine, daughter of Jonathan S. and Deborah (Oakley) Valentine. She was baptized with several siblings 30 Jun 1801, Hempstead, NY, and died 23 Sep 1810, Huntington, NY.
He married secondly, 3 Apr 1813, Huntington, NY, Nancy Valentine, daughter of Jonathan S. and Deborah (Oakley) Valentine. She was baptized with several siblings 30 Jun 1801, Hempstead, NY, and died 13 Sep 1845, Woodbury, NY.
Phoenix says the following:
- "Daniel Whitney, 'the sekent', b. at East Woods, now Woodbury, L.I., 2 July 1781; a farmer; married, 26 Sept (church-record says, Oct.) 1809, by Rev. William Schenck, pastor of the Presbyterian Church of Huntington, L.I., to Amelia Valentine, dau. of Jonathan S. and Deborah Valentine, of West Hills, Huntington. She died 23 Sept. 1810, and was buried on her father's farm at West Hills. He was married (2d), 3 Ap. 1813, by Rev. William Schenck, to Nancy Valentine, sister of his first wife. In the record of each marriage he is called "of Cold Spring." He was a lieutenant of militia in the war of 1812, and served, for three months, at Sag Harbor, L.I. After the war, for a short time, he commanded a sloop on the Hudson River and Long Island Sound; and in May 1819 bought, and settled on, his father's homestead at East Woods, where they died (she, 13 Sept. 1845; he, 7 Aug. 1848), and were buried in Fountain Hill Cemetery."
Daniel6 and Amelia (Valentine) Whitney had no children.
Children of Daniel6 and Nancy (Valentine) Whitney:
i. Amelia Ann Whitney, b. 17 Sep 1814, Huntington, NY; m. Charles A. Van Sise. ii. John Clawson Whitney, b. 31 May 1817, Orange Co., NY; m. Catharine Webb. iii. Daniel Darling Whitney, b. 31 Jan 1819, Woodbury, NY; m. Sarah Titus. iv. Scudder Valentine Whitney, b. 11 Mar 1821, Woodbury, NY; m. Elizabeth Titus. v. Sarah Ette Whitney, b. 8 Jul 1823, Woodbury, NY; m. William Henry Montfort. vi. Timothy Titus Whitney, b. 6 May 1827, Woodbury, NY; d. 31 Dec 1827, Woodbury, NY.
- 1810: not found. Apparently living with his father.
- 1820, no township listed, Queens Co., NY: Daniel Whitney, 1 male 26-44, 2 males 0-9, 1 female 16-25, and 1 female 0-9; 1 engaged in agriculture.
- 1830, Oyster Bay, Queens Co., NY: Daniel Whitney, 1 male 40-49, 2 males 10-14, 1 male 5-9, 1 female 30-39, 1 female 15-19, and 1 female 5-9.
- 1840, Oyster Bay, Queens Co., NY: Daniel Whitney, 1 male 50-59, 1 male 15-19, 1 female 40-49, and 1 female 15-19; 2 engaged in agriculture.
- All data imported from Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 273 and pp. 720-721.