Family:Whitney, Darling (1758-1834)
He married, 14 Jan 1779, Hempstead, NY, Sarah Valentine, perhaps daughter of Robert Valentine. She was born unknown, and died 3 Jul 1821, Oyster Bay, NY.
He married secondly, date and place unknown, Catherine -----, parentage and birth unknown. She died after 1821, Albany, NY.
Phoenix says the following:
- Darling Whitney, b. at Stamford, Conn., 25 Sept. 1758. It is said that he enlisted, when eighteen years old, in the American army, and served at West Point, and later, went with a tory to whom he was apprenticed, to Long Island, and remained there, never finishing his trade, but settling as a farmer, at East Woods, now the village of Woodbury, Oyster Bay, L.I. The records of St. George's Episcopal Church at Hempstead, L I., show that Darling Whitney, of Hempstead, married, 14 Jan. 1779, Sarah Valentine, of Oyster Bay, born 29 Dec. 1757, daughter, it is thought, of Robert Valentine, of Oyster Bay, and great grand dau. of Richard Valentine, who came from Lancashire, England. She died at East Woods, 3 July 1821. He married a second wife, Catharine -----, date not given, who survived him, and died, it is thought, at Albany, N.Y. He was a Major in the War of 1812, and was for some time stationed at Fort Greene, in Brooklyn, N.Y., under Gen. Johnson. In May 1819, he sold his farm to his son, and removed to New York City, where he engaged in trade as a grocer. He died at the corner of Attorney and Stanton Streets, New York, 14 Nov. 1834, and was buried in Fountain Hill Cemetery, Oyster Bay, L I.
Children of Darling5 adn Sarah (Valentine) Whitney:
i. Daniel6 Whitney, b. 12 Sep 1779, Woodbury, NY; d. 14 Sep 1779, Woodbury, NY. ii. Daniel Whitney "the sekent", b. 2 Jul 1781, Woodbury, NY; m.(1) Amelia Valentine; m.(2) Nancy Valentine. iii. Naomi Whitney, b. 2 Oct 1784, Woodbury, NY; m. Willetts Whitson. iv. John Whitney, b. 26 Mar 1787, Woodbury, NY; m. Clarissa Harriet Brush. v. Esther Whitney, b. 2 May 1789, Woodbury, NY; m.(1) Israel Youngs; m.(2) ----- Van Ausdale. vi. Israel Clawson Whitney, b. 22 Dec 1793, Woodbury, NY; m. Phebe Whitman. vii. Sarah Whitney, b. 13 Feb 1797, Woodbury, NY; m. 25 Nov 1819, Hempstead, NY, Henry Powell. She died, without children, 1 June 1841, and was buried in Fountain Hill Cemetery, Woodbury.
- 1790, Huntington, Suffolk Co., NY: Darling "Whiteman", 1 male over 16, 2 males 0-15, and 3 females.
- 1800, Oyster Bay, Queens Co., NY: Darlin Whitney, 1 male 26-44, 1 male 16-25, 1 male 10-15, 1 male 0-9, 1 female 26-44, 1 female 16-25, 1 female 10-15, and 1 male 0-9.
- 1810, North Hempsted, Queens Co., NY: Darling Whitney, 1 male over 45, 1 male 26-44, 2 males 16-25, 1 female over 45, 1 female 16-25, 1 female 10-15, and 1 other free person.
- 1820, no township listed, Queens Co., NY: Darling Whitney, 1 male over 45, 1 male 0-9, 1 female over 45, and 1 female slave 0-13; 1 engaged in agriculture.
- 1830, New York Ward 11, New York Co., NY: Darling Whitney, 1 male 40-49. This Darling Whitney was 72, not 40-49.
- All data imported from Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 91 and pp. 273-275.