Family:Whitney, Edwin Foster (1850-1923)
Edwin Foster9 Whitney (Chester Coborn8, Zerah7, James6, Samuel5, Samuel4, Nathaniel3, John2, John1), son of Chester Coborn8 and Amanda M. (DePuy) Whitney, was born 13 Mar 1850, Mukwonago, WI, and died 9 Apr 1923, Seattle, WA, aged 73 years 26 days.
He married firstly, 17 May 1874, Spirit Lake, Dickinson Co., IA, Louisa C. Middleton, daughter of Robert and Abigail (Page) Middleton. She was born Jul 1849, Palermo, NY, and died 19 Apr 1877, Worthington, MN, aged 27 years 9 months, of spinal meningitis. She was buried in Worthington Cemetery, Worthington, MN.
He married secondly, 13 Nov 1887, Nobles Co., MN, Ida May Leonard, daughter of Giles R. and Ellen S. (Black) Leonard. She was born about 1868, OH, and died 15 Sep 1931, Seattle, WA, aged 64 years.
Obituary, published in the Spirit Lake Beacon, 26 Apr 1877:
- "WHITNEY. At Worthington, Minnesota,
- April 19th, 1877, of spinal meningitis, Louise C., wife of Edwin F. Whitney, aged 26 yours and 9 months.
- The deceased formerly resided in this county, and the sad intelligence of her death carried mournful tidings to a large circle of relatives and friends.
- Wherever the grim messenger touches his chilly fingers there is gloom and sorrow. Although death is our common lot, no philosophy can teach us to calmly bear the loss of loved ones until the soothing flight of Time shall rob grief of its poignancy. Human sympathy is of but little avail when such tender ties are rudely and inexorably severed; mere words are hollow mockery which fall unmeaningly upon the deadened senses of the mourner. Yet the hand that pens these lines would fain attempt to dry the tears of sorrow that flow from the eyes of those near and dear ones whom death at one stroke has robbed of a wife, a mother, a daughter and a sister; gladly would we whisper words of consolation, mingling our tears with theirs, cheering them with blest and pleasant memories of the lost one, and bidding them a look beyond the dark river which she has safely crossed.
- Dear friends, think of the dead as "not lost but gone before." Louise has passed beyond our mortal vision, but leaves with us sweet and lender recollections of her loving, blameless life that shall serve to keep her memory fresh and green until we, too, shall lift the mysterious veil that separates us from eternity, and behold "the dawning of the morning when the mists have cleared away."
They resided Wrightstown, WI, Worthington, MN, and Seattle, WA.
Children of Edwin Foster9 and Louisa C. (Middleton) Whitney, if any, unknown.
i. Bessie E.10 Whitney, b. Jul 1876, MN; d. aft. 1900.
Children of Edwin Foster9 and Ida May (Leonard) Whitney:
ii. Sarah Thorpe10 Whitney, b. 12 Aug 1888, Worthington, MN; d. 26 Aug 1974, Seattle, WA; m. 19 Nov 1908, King Co., WA, Frank George Tustin.
- 1875 State, Worthington, Nobles Co., MN, p. 651:
23 Chester C. Whitney 52 M W N.Y. N.Y. N.Y. Amanda Whitney 58 F W N.Y. N.Y. N.Y. 24 Edwin F. Whitney 25 M W Wis. N.Y. N.Y. L. C. Whitney 25 M W Wis. England N.Y.
C. C. WHITNEY 57 Self M M W NY Farmer CT NY Amanda V. WHITNEY 62 Wife F M W NY Keeping House NY NY Herbert WHITNEY 32 Son M S W MI NY NY Edwin WHITNEY 28 Son M W W WI NY NY
39 42 Benjamin Peck W M 66 Self mar Stone Mason Conn. Conn. Conn. Abigail Peck W F 66 Wife mar Keeping House Eng. Eng. Eng. Emily Peck W F 20 Dau sgl At home Mo. Conn. N.Y. Simeon Middleton W M 38 Brdr sgl Machinist Wis. Eng. Eng. Alfonso Henderson W M 24 Brdr sgl Printer Ill. N.Y. N.Y. Bessie Whitney W F 5 GDau sgl Iowa N.Y. Wis.
- 1885 State, Spirit Lake, Dickinson Co., IA: Bessie E. Whitney, 10, b. MN.
- 1895 State, Worthington, Nobles Co., MN, p. 3:
22 E. F. Whitney 45 M W Wisconsin Farmer Resident 21 years Mrs. May Whitney 28 F W Ohio Bessie Whitney 20 F W Minn. Sadie Whitney 7 F W Minn. Chas. Wonder 20 M W Germany
148 152 Whitney, E. F. Head W M Mar 1850 50 mar 13 Wisconsin New York New York Farmer, Owns mortgaged farm -----, Ida M. Wife W F Aug 1867 32 mar 13 1ch 1liv Ohio Ohio Ohio -----, Sadie T. Dau W F Aug 1888 11 sgl Minnesota Wisconsin Ohio At school -----, Chester C. Fath W M Sep 1822 77 wid New York Connecticut New York Crozier, Charles C. Srvt W M Nov 1875 24 sgl Iowa California Pennsylvania Farm laborer
- 1910, Seattle Ward 8, King Co., WA.
- 1920, 5326 R.R. Ave. N.E., Seattle, King Co., WA.
- 1930, 416 50th N.E., Seattle, King Co., WA: Widow Ida M. Whitney, living with daughter Sadie W. Tustin and family.
- Census records.