Family:Whitney, Eli (1793-1855)
He married Nancy Whitmore. She was born circa 1796, NY, and died after 1860.
Children of Eli7 and Nancy (Whitmore) Whitney (order uncertain):
i. Juliana Madula Whitney, b. ca. 1816, Cayuga Co., NY; d. 29 May 1890, Sparta, MI; m. before 1841, Sidney McNitt. Living in Wayne, Du Page Co., IL, in 1850, and Sparta, Kent Co., MI, in 1860. She was buried in Greenwood Cemetery, Sparta, MI. ii. Norman J. Whitney, b. ca. 1814, OH; m.(1) Elvira E. Hough; m.(2) Roseanna C. Hoyle. iii. Emily Whitney, b. ca. 1817, OH; d. 1876, Vernon, WI; m. Nathan B. Wakefield. Resided in Warren, Lake Co., IL in 1850. iv. James Whitney, b. 17 Feb 1818; m. Abigail Wakefield. v. John Whitney, b. ca. 1824, OH; m. Anna Wakefield. vi. Caleb Taylor Whitney, b. ca. 1825, OH; m. Melinda M. Druce. vii. Joseph Whitney, b. ca. 1826. viii. Erwin Whitney, b. 1827, OH; m. Olive Jane Durphy. ix. Martha Whitney, b. ca. 1828, OH, m. John McNitt. They were living in Sparta, Kent Co., MI in 1850 (indexed as McNill). "Ira" and Martha McNitt were listed next to Hamilton and Olive Whitney in Sparta, Kent Co., MI in 1860. x. Willard G. Whitney, b. 1832, OH; m. Elizabeth Ann Druce. xi. Persus/Persia A. Whitney, b. 1834, OH, m. after 1850, Jeremiah Hough. xii. Olive Whitney, b. ca. 1836, OH; m. ca. 1855, Hamilton Whitney. He was born ca. 1835, NY. They resided in Sparta, Kent Co., MI in 1860. They resided East Crawford, Boyer Co., IA in 1870. They resided in Plumas Co., CA in 1880. Children: Frank E. Whitney, b. ca. 1857, IL; Clarence/Eugene Whitney, b. ca. 1867, IA.
Note: According to John Newton he was in VT 1800, and Albany, NY 1810.
NOTE: Censuses for the sons are not included below.
- 1810: not found.
- 1820, Lyme, Huron Co., OH: Eli Whitney, 1 male 26-44, 1 female 16-25, and 3 females 0-9; 1 engaged in agriculture.
- 1830, Thompson, Seneca Co., OH: Eli Whitney, 1 male 30-39, 2 males 5-9, 3 males 0-4, 1 female 30-39, 2 females 10-14, and 1 female 5-9.
- 1840, Thompson, Seneca Co., OH: Whitney, Eli, 1 male 40-49, 3 males 15-19, 2 males 10-14, 1 male 5-9, 1 female 40-49, 1 female 5-9, and 1 female 0-4; 4 engaged in agriculture.
- 1850, Warren, Lake Co., IL:
111 111 Eli Whitney 55 M - Do $3500 Do Nancy " 54 F - N.Y. Persus A. " 16 F - Ohio Attended school Olive " 14 F - Do Attended school
1565 1535 Taylor Whitney 35 M - Farmer 2000 200 Ohio Milinda " 29 F - N.Y. Oliver " 3 M - Ill. Nancy " 64 F - N.Y. Elie " 12 M - Ill. Attended school
- 1870, widow Nancy not found.
- Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 20:08:37 EST
- From: <PapaRaetz@aol.com>
- To: WHITNEY-L@rootsweb.com
- Subject: [WHITNEY-L] Eli Whitney VT-OH-IL
- Thought I'd pass on the following info for an Eli Whitney who died in Lake Co. IL 2 January 1855. His gravestone reads "Eli Whitney 2 Jan 1855 61yrs 9dys" His birth place on the 1850 census record is VT.
- Eli died intestate but there is a petition in his probate records made by a grand nephew, Charles Whitney, in January 1902 to document formal proof of kinship so the estate could be disposed of. The petition states the following:
- Eli was married but once to Nancy Whitmore (Nancy's place of birth on 1850 census is NY)
- Children of Eli Whitney and Nancy Whitmore were:
- Norman Whitney
- John Whitney
- Caleb Whitney
- James Whitney
- Willard Whitney
- Eronx Whitney
- Juliana McNitt wife of Sidney McNitt
- Martha McNitt wife of John McNitt
- Emily Wakefield wife of Nathan Wakefield
- Olive Whitney wife of Hamilton Whitney
- Persia Whitney who married Jeremiah Hough after death of Eli Whitney
- Believe this is Eli Whitney on 1820 Huron Co. OH and 1830 Seneca Co OH census records. Family then moved to Lake Co. IL ca 1838.
- If anyone would like a copy of the petition send me your address and I will smail it to you.
- Pat Raetzman
- Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 03:41:21 EST
- From: <Slackwit@aol.com>
- To: WHITNEY-L@rootsweb.com
- Subject: [WHITNEY-L] Whitneys of Vermont, to Ohio, Michigan, Illinois 1790+
- 3. Eli Whitney, b. Dec. 24 1793, VT; m. Nancy Whitmore, b. abt. 1796, NY. (Nancy may be a sister of Jennie Whitmore, wife of William, because the father of Jennie, Benjamin Whitmore, b. 1766, and wife Martha, appear right next door to Eli and Nancy in Lake Co, Ill, in 1850, at age 89. He also had a son James, who is probably the James Whitmore in Seneca County next to Nathan Jr, Eli, Wm. and Jasper Whitney in 1830. James was b. 1794 and is also present with Benjamin in Lake Co. 1850.)
- An earlier post by (can't remember who) details Eli Whitney's children from probate record filed by his grand nephew, Charles. I won't go into them here there are a dozen or so. Eli d. in 1855 in Lake Co, IL. He had a number of land transactions with a son, Willard, in Kent County in the 1850's, and that Willard also lived in Sparta.
- (WRG post, IGI, Census Records, Gravestone of Eli, Kent County Land Records)