Family:Whitney, Ferdinand Scott (1840-1929)
Ferdinand Scott8 Whitney (William E.7, Jeremiah E.6, Abijah5, Daniel4, Henry3, John2, Henry1), son of William E.7 and Mary E. (Scott) Whitney, was born 2 Mar 1840, CAN, and died 28 Feb 1929, Hampton, IA. He was buried in Oak Wood Cemetery, Ackley, IA.
He married firstly, Effie B. Dow. She was born 2 Dec 1846, MI, and died 28 Mar 1903, aged 56 years, Dubuque, IA. She was buried in Oak Wood Cemetery, Ackley, IA.
He married secondly, 26 Aug 1908, Ogle Co., IL, Lydia A. Fossler, daughter of John A. and Sarah (Kembel) Fossler. She was born 18 Jan 1861, IL, and died 14 Jan 1938. She was buried in Oak Wood Cemetery, Ackley, IA.
He served in the 12th and 64th Illinois Infantry, and re-enlisted on 13 Feb 1865 as a corporal in Co. F, 151st Illinois Infantry. He was promoted to full sergeant. He was mustered out 24 Jan 1866, Columbus, GA.
- "F. S. Whitney, 88, Civil War Veteran, Buried at Hampton.
- "HAMPTON, March 5--Another Civil war veteran was buried at Ackley, Monday afternoon. F. S. Whitney, who, had he lived until March 2, would have been 89 years old, died here Thursday evening at his home.
- "He was born in Canada in 1840 while his parents, William E. and Mary Scott Whitney, were visiting that country. His early boyhood was spent in New York and Michigan. In 1861 he moved to Bureau county, Illinois, and at the outbreak of the Civil war he enlisted in company H, Twelfth Illinois volunteers.
- "He moved to Franklin county in 1866, settling in Osceola township. Later he moved to Faulkner in the same county and was in business there for 30 years. The last nine years of his life had been spent in Hampton.
- "He is survived by his wife, Lydia, two sisters, Miss Georgianna Hunter of Mason, Mich., and Miss Adel Wisner of Long Island, New York. Two children, James Whitney of Hampton, and Mrs. M. A. Greer of Oakland, Cal, besides four grand children and 11 great grandchildren also survive.
- "Mr. Whitney's death is the second in the local G.A.R. ranks, this year, being preceded by I. W. Meyers in January."
Children of Ferdinand Scott8 and Effie B. (Dow) Whitney:
i. Lenna Adell9 Whitney, b. 9 Sep 1864, IL; d. 24 Aug 1914, aged 49 years, Osceola, IA; bur. Oak Wood Cemetery, Ackley, IA; m. 25 Oct 1887, Ackley, IA, Charles W. Raisch. ii. James E. Whitney, b. Nov 1866, Franklin Co., IA; d. aft. 1940; m.(1) 7 Apr 1886, Ogle Co., IL, Effie M. Stout; m.(2) 13 May 1887, Rock Co., WI, Louie Kate Stout, b. Jan 1865, IL, d. aft. 1940, dau. of Daniel Stout. iii. Mary Alice Whitney, b. 25 Jul 1871, Franklin Co., IA; d. 20 Jul 1950, Oakland, CA; bur. Oak Wood Cemetery, Ackley, IA; m. Madison Arthur Greer.
- 1860: not found.
- 1870, Osceola, Franklin Co., IA:
26 28 Whitney, F. S. 30 M W Farmer $200 $850 Canada Parents foreign born, Male citizen over 21 -----, E. D. 23 F W House Keeping Illinois -----, L. A. 5 F W Illinois Father foreign born, Attended school -----, J. E. 3 F W Iowa Father foreign born Switzer, Nelson 14 M W At Home Canada Parents foreign born, Attended school
- 1880: not found.
- 1885 State, Osceola, Franklin Co., IA:
93 93 Ferdinand Whitney 90 19 10 SW SW 44 M - m Farming Canada Effie G. Whitney " 38 F - m Keeping House Michigan Janes E. Whitney " 18 M - s - Franklin Co. Lenna A. Whitney " 20 F - s Keeping House Illinois Mary A. Whitney " 13 F - s - Franklin Co. Joseph G. Buler " 21 M - s - Illinois
118 122 Whitney, Ferdinand 54 M W m Canada [???]ant None Voter " Effie 47 F W " Mich. [Keeping] house Methodist " Mary A. 23 F W s Franklin Co. [House]keeping " 123 Raisch, Charles 31 M W m Germany [???]nt " Military, Voter " Lenna 30 F W " Ill. [???]house " " Fredrick 2 M W s Iowa - "
34 34 Whitney, James E. Head W M Nov 1866 33 mar 13 Iowa Canada Eng. Michigan Lumber salesman, Rents house -----, Louie K. Wife W F Jan 1865 31 mar 13 2ch 2liv Illinois Pennsylvania Ohio -----, Ernest S. Son W M Sep 1887 12 sgl Iowa Iowa Iowa -----, Ada Dau W F Aug 1890 9 sgl Iowa Iowa Iowa 35 35 -----, Ferdinand C. Head W M Mar 1840 60 mar 36 Canada Eng. New York New York Pol Master, Owns free house -----, Effie B. Wife W F Dec 1846 53 mar 36 3ch 3liv Michigan Vermont New York
- Census records.