Family:Whitney, Freeman (1832-1917)
He married firstly, 3 Jan 1857, Mariette Gregory, born 1837, daughter of John and Priscilla (Conklin) Gregory. She was born 1837, and died between 1871 and 1873.
He married secondly, 1873, Esther Gregory, daughter of John and Priscilla (Conklin) Gregory, Mariette's sister. She was born 1846, and died after 1920.
Freeman Whitney lived almost his entire life in Union Grove, the Town of Andes, Delaware Co., NY, where his parents had raised thirteen children. Freeman was one of eight sons. He was a dairy farmer, who owned his own farm and worked into his seventies.
Freeman and Mariette's first child was born in 1858, but no name or birthdate appears in any records--only a newspaper. Their next child was Elsie C. Whitney, born 1859; but according to the 1860 Census, she was in the household of James H. Washburn and his wife. Perhaps they were neighbors who were caring for the child at the time.
Children of Freeman and Mariette (Gregory) Whitney, all born Andes, Delaware Co., NY:
i. Elsie C. (Cassie) Whitney, b. 1859; m. 8 Oct 1884, Marshall Northrup. ii. Margaret J. Whitney, b. ca. 1861; m. 1 Jul 1880, N. C. Jenkins. iii. Harriet E. (Hattie) Whitney, b. ca. 1869. iv. Mary Whitney, b. ca. 1871.
Children of Freeman and Esther (Gregory) Whitney, all born Andes, Delaware Co., NY:
v. Anna Whitney, b. ca. 1873. vi. Martha Alice Whitney, b. Aug 1877; d. 1913; m. 1908, George W. Kilquist. vii. John Gregory Whitney, b. 27 Mar 1880; d. after 1942; m. 27 Mar 1907, Josephine Simon, of New Canaan, CT; no children. viii. Clinton Freeman Whitney, b. 9 Aug. 1883; d. 28 Nov 1967, Los Angeles, CA; apparently unmarried.
- 1850, Andes, Delaware Co., NY, in household of parents - 18
488 491 Freeman Whitney 27 M - Farmer $2000 [N.Y.] Haritte 23 F - [N.Y.]
[Haritte should read Mariette; daughter Elsie C. Whitney in household of James H. Washburn - 1]
217 226 Whitney, Freeman 38 M W Farmer $1400 New York Male citizen over 21 -----, Mary E. 33 F W Keeping House New York -----, Elsa 11 F W At Home New York Attended school -----, Margaret 9 F W " New York Attended school -----, Hattie 2 F W " New York
Freeman WHITNEY 48 Self M M W NY Farmer NY NY Esther M. WHITNEY 34 Wife F M W NY Keeping House NY NY Cassie WHITNEY 21 Dau F S W NY Teaching School NY NY Hattie WHITNEY 11 Dau F S W NY At School NY NY Mary WHITNEY 8 Dau F S W NY NY NY Anna WHITNEY 6 Dau F S W NY NY NY Martha WHITNEY 2 Dau F S W NY NY NY John WHITNEY 3M Son M S W NY NY NY Jane HAMNER 17 Niec F S W NY Domestic Servant NY NY Priscilla GREGORY 79 MotL F W W NY House Work NY NY
Whitney, Freeman Head W M 69 mar New York -----, Esther M. Wife W F 53 mar New York -----, Alice M. Dau W F 22 sgl New York -----, John G. Son W M 20 sgl New York -----, Clinton F. Son W M 16 sgl New York Van Krusen, Chauncey GSon W M 9 sgl New York
- 1910, Andes, Delaware Co., NY, Freeman - 77, Esther - 63, Clinton - 26
- 1915, New York State Census, Andes, Delaware Co., Freeman - 82, Esther - 68, Clinton - 32, Freeman Kilquist (grandson) - 4
- 1920, Washington, DC, Esther M. Whitney, widow - 73, Clinton, single - 47
- "Marriages from Bloomville Mirror 1856-1858 [Delaware Co., NY], Freeman Whitney and Mariette Gregory, January 3, 1857" (place not given).
- "Births from Bloomville Mirror 1851-1858 [Delaware Co., NY], female/Freeman Whitney, father/9-14-1858 (edition date)/no date (actual birth)/Andes."
- See 1860 Census, Andes, Delaware Co., NY, James H. Washburn.
- U. S., Civil War Draft Registration Records, 1863-1865 for 19th Congressional District (Chenango, Delaware, and Otsego Counties): Freeman - 31, Eli - 34, George - 25, John - 28 [four Whitney brothers].
- An old photograph reveals that Freeman and Esther Whitney traveled to Kansas in the early 1900s to visit James Whitney, Freeman's brother.
- Copy of Certification of Death, no. 329304, dist. no. 1250, reg. no. 23, Registrar of Vital Statistics, Town of Andes, State of New York.