Family:Whitney, George B. (1846-1932)
George B.8 Whitney (James R.7, Eliphalet6, Cornelius5, Matthias4, Cornelius3, Joshua2, John1), son of James R.7 and Caroline (Adams) Whitney, was born 1 Feb 1846 [Pierce has 1847], and died 16 Mar 1932, Syracuse, NY. He is buried at Wellwood Cemetery, Mexico, NY.
He married firstly, about 1870, Mary Ellen Munger, daughter of Hiram and Caroline (Moss) Munger. She was born about 1846, Palermo, Volney, or Oswego, NY, and died between 1873 and 1880.
He married secondly, 6 Jul 1909, New Hartford, NY, Flora J. Powers, daughter of Silas and Mary (Dobbs) Powers. She was born May 1859, Palermo, NY, and died 1 Nov 1916, Mexico, NY. She was buried in Mexico Village Cemetery, Mexico, NY. At the age of about 9 she was adopted by George Marsh. Her father died in 1871, her mother died in 1867.
He resided Mexico, NY.
- "BURIED THURSDAY IN FAMILY PLOT
- "The remains of George B. Whitney were brought to Mexico from Syracuse on Thursday of last week and laid to rest in the family plot in the cemetery at South Mexico. Mr. and Mrs. Fred McQueen accompanied the remains. Mr. Whitney died March 16th. He was the father of Dr. H.W. Whitney of this village and Mrs. Fred McQueen of Syracuse. He was the brother of the late Mary R. Whyburn."
Source: The Mexico Independent, 12 May 1932.
- "Obituary -- Mrs. George B. Whitney.
- "MEXICO, Nov. 4. -- Mrs. George B. Whitney, aged fifty-four years, died on Thursday evening. Mrs. Whitney has been an invalid for the past two years. She was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Silas Powers, of Palermo. At the age of nine years she was adopted by Mr. and Mrs. George Marsh. Surviving her are her husband, her foster-mother, Mrs. Marsh, of Oswego; two sister, Mrs. Clarence Hubbard, of this village, and Mrs. Mary Eastwood, of Michigan, and a brother, Hiel Powers, of Fulton. Funeral services will be held at her late home on Sunday at two p.m. The Rev. David L. Roberts, pastor of the Presbyterian Church, will officiate. Burial in Village cemetery."
Source: Oswego Daily Palladium, Saturday, 4 Nov 1916.
Children of George B.8 and Mary Ellen (Munger) Whitney:
i. Luna W.9 Whitney (Lucy in Pierce), b. Oct 1872, NY; d. aft. 1930; m. 13 Oct 1895, East Palermo, NY, Frederick Ephraim McQueen; res. Syracuse, NY. ii. Herbert W. Whitney, b. Jul 1873, NY; "Dr."; m.(1) 28 Nov 1912, Mexico, NY, Florence Margery Proud; m.(2) 25 Feb 1941, Ella Dyke; res. Mexico, NY.
George B.8 and Flora J. (Powers) Whitney had no children.
James R. WHITNEY 62 Self M M W NY Farmer NY NY Caroline WHITNEY 60 Wife F M W NY Keeping House NY NY George WHITNEY 35 Son M W W NY Farm Laborer NY NY Luna WHITNEY 9 GDau F S W NY NY NY Herbert WHITNEY 7 GSon M S W NY NY NY
- All data imported from Frederick Clifton Pierce, The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635, (Chicago: 1895), p. 572.