Family:Whitney, George Calvin (1840-1934)
George Calvin8 Whitney (Ephraim7, Ephraim6, Amos5, Amos4, Nathaniel3, Benjamin2, John1), son of Ephraim7 and Edith (Ross) Whitney, was born 23 Feb 1840, New Philadelphia, Tuscawaras Co., OH, and died 10 Jan 1934, Grand Island, Hall Co., NE.
He married firstly, 5 Feb 1868, Paxton, Ford Co., IL, Helen S. Ashman, daughter of Sarah Ashman. She was born 13 Aug 1846, NY, and died 8 Feb 1912, Norfolk, Holt Co., NE.
He married secondly, 2 Nov 1912, Grand Island, NE, Martha E. Shaw. She died 24 May 1927, Grand Island, NE.
He married thirdly, Sep 1927, Grand Island, NE, Mary E. Hall. She was born 1849, and died 13 Feb 1949, Grand Island, NE.
OBITUARY: GEO. C. WHITNEY, NONAGENARIAN, DIES
- "George Calvin Whitney, a member of the Soldier's Home for the past 22 years, died at Pershing hospital, at five o'clock, Wednesday afternoon, after an illness of only one week. Mr. Whitney had reached the age of 93 years, 10 month and 17 days. He was born in Ohio, February 23, 1840, and served in the Civil War, Company I, First Illinois Infantry, as a private serving a a fifer.
- "After his discharge from the army he was married to Helen Ashman and to this union two sons and one daughter were born. His wife passed away in 1911, and the two sons also have preceded him in death. The daughter, Mrs. Jesse Kelley, of Burwell survives.
- "Mr. Whitney's second wife, Martha, also preceded him in death and in September 1927, he married a third time to Mary E. Hall, who with his daughter, survives him. She resides at the Home. He also leaves nine grandchildren and six great grandchildren.
- "Funeral services will be held Friday, afternoon, at two o'clock at the chapel at the Soldiers Home. Rio White, pastor of Old Fashioned Church will officiate."
HELEN S. ASHMAN Obituary:
- "Helen S. Ashman was born in the state of New York August 13, 1846, and moved to Illinois with her parents in 1853. On the 5th day of February, 1868, at Paxton, Ill., she was united in marriage to G. C. Whitney. In 1883 they moved to Holt county, settling on a homestead near Stuart, later they moved to Stuart where they made their home until October, 1910, when they moved away on account of their health. To this union four children were born, two preceding the mother to the Other World. One son, a minister at Red Oak, Iowa and a daughter, Mrs. Kelley, living near Carson, Neb. survive her.
- "Mrs. Whitney united with the Stuart M.E. Church in 1885. The deceased was an active member of the Ladies Aid and Relief Corps. Those who knew her give their testimony of her devoted Christian character, "Gone but not forgotten,' her deeds shall speak of her life and assistance in time of need.
- "Mrs. Whitney passed away at Norfolk, Neb., Feb. 8, 1912, aged 66 years. The remains were brought to Stuart by her husband Friday evening. Services were held Sunday afternoon at 3 o'clock from the M.E. Church. Rev. Ed Magill, officiating. The Relief Corp conducted the service at the Church, showing their great regard for the departed member.
- "Beautiful flowers, tokens given by the Ladies Aid & Relief Corp, covered the casket. A large crowd filled the church to pay their respects. The body was laid to rest in Stuart Cemetery."
Children of George Calvin and Helen S. (Ashman) Whitney:
i. Jessie Pearl9 Whitney, b. 24 Jan 1876, Jefferson, Greene Co., IA, d. 4 Nov 1970, Burwell, NE; m. Baird Belou Kelley; res. near Carson, NE. ii. Frederick E. Whitney, b. 16 Jan 1878, IA; d. between 1912 and 1934; a minister at Red Oak, IA. iii. (son) Whitney, d. bef. 1912. iv. (child) Whitney, d. bef. 1912.
- 1870: not found.
- 1880, Hazel Dell, Pottawattamie Co., IA:
O. WHITNEY 29 Self M M W OH Grocer PA OH Mary WHITNEY 22 Wife F M W IL Keeping House OH OH Lella WHITNEY 2 Dau F S W IA OH OH Francis WHITNEY 1 Son M S W IA OH OH Z. C. WHITNEY 39 Oth M M W OH Grocer PA OH Helen WHITNEY 35 Oth F M W NY Keeping House CT CT Jessie WHITNEY 5 Oth F S W IA OH NY Fredrick WHITNEY 3 Oth M S W IA OH NY
"Z. C." is an error for "G. C.", living with his brother Isaac (recorded here as "O.").
Sarah ASHMAN 58 Self F W W NY Keeping House VT CT Laura ASHMAN 37 Dau F S W NY Housekeeper NY NY Ida ASHMAN 21 Dau F S W IL Seamstress NY NY Kate ASHMAN 5 GCh F S W IL NY IL Jessie ASHMAN 18 Dau F S W IL At Home NY NY Helen WHITNEY 35 Dau F S W NY At Home NY NY Jessie WHITNEY 4 GCh F S W IA OH NY Fred WHITNEY 2 GCh M S W IA OH NY
- Civil War Pension File of George C. Whitney
- Thora V. Thompson of Tacoma, Washington contributed the obituaries.