Family:Whitney, Hezekiah (1778-1845)
Hezekiah6 Whitney (Hezekiah5, Hezekiah4, Joseph3, John2, Henry1), son of Hezekiah5 and Sarah (Taylor) Whitney, was born 26 Jan 1778 (twin), Norwalk, CT, and died 16 Jul 1845, Washington, IL, of dysentery, after four days of illness, aged 66 years.
He married firstly, 7 Aug 1803, Morristown, VT, Polly St. Clair, daughter of James and Sarah (Hunt) St. Clair. She was born 11 Nov 1787, Sanbornton, NH, and died 6 Mar 1812, Morristown, VT, where she was buried.
He married secondly, 1813, Montpelier, VT, Mary Doyne. She died Spring 1815, Montpelier, VT.
He married thirdly, 8 Mar 1818, Brookville, KY, Hannah Judd, of Kentucky. She was born between 1775 and 1794, and died about 1839, Washington, IL.
He married fourthly, 1841, Washington, IL, Mary Pires, of Washington, IL.
He apparently married fifthly, 19 Sep 1844, Tazewell Co., IL, Deborah Keyes.
His widow was believed to be living in Washington, IL, in 1873.
Phoenix says the following:
- . . . a farmer, till he was thirty-five years old, afterward a shoemaker . . . . After the death of his second wife, he went west, living in Pittsburgh, Penn., Covington, Ky., and Cincinnati, Ohio . . . . He returned to Batavia, N. Y., in 1826; went from there, in April 1828, to Eagle Harbor, in Gaines, N. Y., where he lived till the Spring of 1834; then moved to Washington, Illinois, where his wife died about 1839; after which he went to Newstead, N. Y., and lived, for a year, with his daughter, Mrs. Electa (Whitney) Cobb. In the Spring of 1840, he returned to Washington, Ill. . . .
Children of Hezekiah6 and Polly (St. Clair) Whitney:
i. Maria7 Whitney, b. 5 Nov 1804, Morristown, VT; m. William Delano. ii. Electa Whitney, b. 4 Nov 1807, Lower Canada; m. Lucius Cobb. iii. Joseph St. Clair Whitney, b. 30 Oct 1809, Morristown, VT; d. 31 Mar 1810, Morristown, VT; buried Morristown, VT. iv. Levi St. Clair Whitney, b. 15 Mar 1811, Morristown, VT; m. Clarissa Jones.
Hezekiah6 and Mary (Doyne) Whitney had no children.
Hezekiah6 and Hannah (Judd) Whitney had no children.
Hezekiah6 and Mary (Pires) Whitney had no children.
Hezekiah6 and Deborah (Keyes) Whitney had no children.
- 1800: not found.
- 1810, Morristown, Orleans Co., VT: Whitney Hezh, 1 male 26-45, 1 male 16-26, 2 males under 10, 1 female 16-26, 2 females under 10.
- 1820, Washington, Clermont Co., OH: Hezekiah Whitney, 1 male over 45, 1 male 16-17, 1 male 10-15, and 1 female 26-44; 2 engaged in manufacture or trades.
- 1830, Gaines, Orleans Col, NY: Hezekiah Whitney, 1 male 50-59 and 1 female 40-49.
- 1840: not found. Not in the household of Lucius Cobb, Newstead, NY.
- All data imported from Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 126 and pp. 353-354.
1.^ "Kentucky, Marriages, 1785-1979," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FWT9-JTT : accessed 06 Sep 2012), Hezekiah Whitney and Hannah Judd, 08 Mar 1818; citing reference p 136, FHL microfilm 344096. Also, his signature on the marriage bond, 5 Mar 1818.