Family:Whitney, Hezekiah (s1743-a1800)
He married, Sarah Taylor, daughter of Josiah and Thankful (French) Taylor. She was born 16 Jul 1744, Norwalk, CT, and died unknown.
Phoenix says the following:
- ... a carpenter; was mentioned in his father's will, 17 March 1785, place of residence not stated; was living in Bedford, N.Y., 19 Dec. 1789, when he bought " a certain Right of Land in Lot Number eighteen, in the first Division, in the Township of Wolcott, and State of Vermont, with the whole of the undivided land belonging to said right," from Rufus Herrick, of Washington, N.Y., for forty pounds, N.Y. currency; and soon after settled on his new purchase. He seems to have been in Wolcott even before this purchase, for he was appointed one of a committee to lay out and make a road through the centre of the town, 2 May 1789, with orders to have it completed by 1 Oct. 1789. At the same time, he undertook, with Levi Taylor, to build a saw-mill by the next November, and a grist-mill by November 1790; for each of which the proprietors gave them one hundred acres of land, with the mill-site, "in Lue of their Draughts." Later votes respecting these mills, 21 June 1791 and 14 July 1791, seem to show that they were not finished so soon as was expected. He was chosen moderator of the town-meeting, 31 March 1792, and first select-man at the same meeting. He was, for many years, collector of the town, and held other offices of trust. He married Sarah Taylor, dau. of Josiah and Thankful (French) Taylor, of Norwalk. She was probably born in Norwalk, Conn., 16 July 1744. Hall, p. 218, says "16 July 1741-2," an impossible date, and doubly so, as he makes another child born to the same parents 12 March 1741-2.
Children of Hezekiah5 and Sarah (Taylor) Whitney, all born Norwalk, CT:
i. Sarah5 Whitney, b. 23 Nov 1764, Norwalk, CT; m. John Parsell. ii. Thankful Whitney, b. 7 Mar 1766, Norwalk, CT; died young. iii. Jeremiah Whitney, b. 29 Aug 1767, Norwalk, CT; m. Elizabeth Underhill. iv. Zadok Whitney, b. 9 Feb 1769, Norwalk, CT; m. Polly Golden. v. Hannah Whitney, b. 26 Jun 1770. vi. Nathan Whitney, b. 24 Jun 1772, Norwalk, CT; m. Anna York. vii. William Whitney, b. 4 Jan 1774, Norwalk, CT; m. Sally Batterson. viii. Josiah Whitney, b. 1 Jan 1776, Norwalk, CT; m.(1) Tema (Taylor) Toby; m.(2) Sarah Spaulding. ix. Hezekiah Whitney, b. 26 Jan 1778, twin, Norwalk, CT; m.(1) Polly St. Clair; m.(2) Mary Doyne; m.(3) Hannah Judd; m.(4) Mary Pires. x. Margaret Whitney, b. 26 Jan 1778, twin, Norwalk, CT; m. Henry Eaton. xi. Jesse Whitney, b. 10 Jan 1780, Norwalk, CT; m.(1) Eliza Vance; m.(2) Hephzibah Smith. xii. Ira Whitney, b. 3 Sep 1783, Norwalk, CT; m. Judith Flood. xiii. Thankful Whitney, b. 23 Feb 1788, Norwalk, CT; m. Jeremiah De Graff.
- 1791, Wolcott, Chittenden Co., VT: Hezekiah Whitney, 3 males over 16, 2 males 0-15, and 3 females.
- 1800, Wolcott, Orleans Co., VT: Whitney, Hezekiah, 1 male over 45, 1 male 26-44, 3 males 16-25, 1 female over 45, and 1 female 10-15.
- 1810 - not found, probably deceased.
- All data imported from Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 44-45 and pp. 124-127.