Family:Whitney, Isaac (1790-1857)
He married, 28 Feb 1811, Norridgewock, ME, Elizabeth C. Parlin, daughter of Eleazer and Olive (Hildreth) Parlin. She was born 5 Dec 1786, Concord, MA, and died 1867, Freeman, ME.
Elizabeth's sister Olive married William Whitney, son of Samuel and Hannah (Thompson) Whitney.
Isaac and Elizabeth are buried in the Tuttle Corner Cemetery, Freeman, ME.
They resided in Steuben, Washington Co., ME, in the 1850 census, where he was a farmer. They resided in Augusta, ME in the early 19th century, and later in Freeman, ME.
Children of Isaac6 and Elizabeth C. (Parlin) Whitney:
i. Oliver Sewall7 Whitney, b. 2 Jan 1813, Augusta, ME; d. 29 Feb 1832, Freeman, ME; buried in the Tuttle Corner Cemetery, Freeman, ME. ii. Ezra Ames Whitney, b. 6 Mar 1815, Augusta, ME; m.(1) Martha Tilton; m.(2) Abigail Jane Watts. iii. Isaac Whitney, Jr., b. 2 Apr 1816, Augusta, ME. iv. Alvin Whitney, b. 8 Nov 1818, Freeman, ME; m. Susan Davis. v. Eliza Whitney, b. 9 May 1824, Freeman, ME, d. 23 Jun 1889, prob. in Milbridge, ME; m. 4 Sep 1842, Steuben, ME, America Bonny Hayford, son of Albert and Deborah Drew (Bonney) Hayford, b. 28 Jul 1818, Salem, ME, d. 16 Aug 1895, Milbridge, ME. They are buried in the Evergreen Cemetery, Milbridge, ME. vi. Mary Stevens Whitney, b. 31 Jan 1825, Freeman, ME; m. 20 Apr 1848, Strong, ME, Captain Gilbert Moore Leighton. vii. Martha Whitney, b. 31 Jan 1825, Freeman, ME. She may be the Martha Whitney "of New Salem" who m. 1 Dec 1844, Washington Co., ME, Stillman Ray "of Harrington". New Salem cannot be found, and may be an error for New Sharon.
It is possible that Isaac, Jr., above, was identical to Israel C. Whitney (c1816-1862), of Merrimack Co., NH, based on birth year and place, and similarity of given name, although the 1820 census shows only three males 0 through 9 years old (Oliver, 7, Ezra, 5, Alvin, 1?). Does that imply that Isaac, Jr., had died?
- 1820, Freeman, Somerset Co., ME: Isaac Whitney, 1 male 26-44, 3 males 0-9, 1 female 26-44; 1 engaged in agriculture.
- 1830, Freeman, Somerset Co., ME: Isaac Whitney, 1 male 30-39, 2 males 5-9, 1 male 0-4, 1 female 30-39, 1 female 5-9, and 2 females 0-4.
- 1840, Freeman, Franklin Co., ME: Isaac Whitney, 1 male 50-59, 1 female 50-59, 1 female 15-19, and 2 females 10-14.
- 1850, Steuben, Washington Co., ME:
38 40 Isaac Whitney 60 M - Farmer $550 Maine Elizabeth " 62 F - Massachusetts Ezra A. " 38 M - Painter Maine Melissa " 12 F - " Attended school Albert S. " 10 M - " Attended school
- Thompson, George A. and Thompson, F. Janet, A Genealogical History of Freeman, Maine 1796-1938 in Three Volumes, Volume 3 (Bowie, Maryland: Heritage Books, 1996), p. 291-300.
- Early Narragaugas River Families of Washington Co., Maine; Tibbetts and Lamson
- LDS Film 1597747, Vital Records of Steuben, Washington Co., Maine
- D.A.R. GRC, 1952, S2, V21.1, Marriage Intentions from Freeman, ME Records, 1811-1870
1.^ Vital Records of Norridgewock, ME, LDS film No. 11577: February 11, 1811 (p. 327) Mr. Isaac Whitney and Miss Betty C. Parlin both of Norridgwock [sic] this day had their intentions of marriage published and a certificate given of the same. recorded Feb. 27th 1811.