Family:Whitney, Jacob S. (1846-1893)
He married, before 1869, Mary Cole, born 1849, NY, and died 1943, Tivoli, Town of Red Hook, Dutchess Co., NY.
Mr. and Mrs. Whitney are buried Old Red Church Cemetery, Tivoli, Dutchess Co., NY.
Jacob was the youngest of thirteen children of Jacob and Nellie Whitney. At age 18 he enlisted in the 144th Regiment, New York Volunteer Infantry, at Milford, Otsego Co., NY, 5 Sep 1864, and was mustered into Company G, Private, 20 Sep 1864. On 6 Oct 1864 he transferred and on 27 Oct 1864 was mustered into Company I, 1st Regiment, New York Volunteer Engineers. He was discharged 3 Jul 1865 at Hilton Head, SC. One week earlier, two of his brothers--Eli and Dustin--had also been discharged at Hilton Head.
Mary Whitney filed for a pension in 1885, because Jacob was an invalid, and again in 1893, when she became a widow.
Children of Jacob S. and Mary (Cole) Whitney:
i. Warren T. Whitney, b. ca. 1869, NY; d. after 1940 (in 1940 Census with mother). ii. Anna M. Whitney, b. ca. 1871, NY; d. after 1900. iii. Harriet (Hattie) Whitney, b. ca. 1874, NY; d. after 1900. iv. George W. Whitney, b. ca. 1878, NY; d. 1936; m.(1) ca. 1897, Margaret G. -----; m.(2) ca. 1917, Helen -----. v. Gertrude Whitney, b. Mar 1882, NY; d. after 1900.
- 1850, Andes, Delaware Co., NY, in household of parents - 3
- 1855, New York State Census, Middletown, Delaware Co., in household of Alfred Dotey [Doty] - 9
- 1860, Middletown, Delaware Co., NY:
178 178 Alfred R. Doty 40 M - Farmer $500 -- [N.Y.] Clarrissa J. " 27 F - [N.Y.] Goerge R. " 9 M - [N.Y.] [Attended school] Orson L. 6 " - [N.Y.] [Attended school] Marion H. 4 " - [N.Y.] Thomas A. 1 " - [N.Y.] Jacob Whitney 14 M - [N.Y.] [Attended school]
- 1870: not found.
- 1880, Red Hook, Dutchess Co., NY:
Jacob L. WHITNEY 34 Self M M W NY Fruit Grower NY NY Mary WHITNEY 30 Wife F M W NY Keeping House NY NY Warren WHITNEY 11 Son M S W NY At Home NY NY Anna M. WHITNEY 9 Dau F S W NY At School NY NY Harriet WHITNEY 6 Dau F S W NY At Home NY NY George WHITNEY 3 Son M S W NY At Home NY NY
- 1890, Veterans Schedule, Red Hook, Dutchess Co., NY, p. 3: Jacob S. Whitney, private, Co. I, 1st NY Engineers; enlisted 5 Sep 1864, discharged 3 Jul 1865; deafness - served 9 months 28 days.
- 1892, New York State Census, Red Hook, Dutchess Co., NY: Jacob - 47, Mary C. - 44, Anna - 20, Hattie - 18, George - 14, Gertrude - 9
- 1900, Red Hook, Dutchess Co., NY:
Whitney, Mary Head W F wid -----, George W. Son W M mar -----, Maggie DiL W F mar -----, Hazel GDau W F sgl
- 1910-1940, Red Hook, Dutchess Co., NY: widow Mary.
- Jacob's birthdate confirmed in New York, Town Clerks' Registers of Men Who Served in the Civil War, ca. 1861-1865, New York State Archives, Albany, NY (Ancestry.com). The initial S in his name is also confirmed in two military records, his widow's request for pension, and on his gravestone.
- New York, Civil War Muster Roll Abstracts, 1861-1900, New York State Archives, Albany, NY. Record for Jacob [T.] Whitney, no. 1899.
- New York, Civil War Muster Roll Abstracts, 1861-1900, New York State Archives, Albany, NY. Record for Jacob S. Whitney, no. 3053.
- U.S., Civil War Pension Index: General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934, National Archives and Records Administration, Washington, DC. Record for Jacob S. Whitney. Name of Soldier: Jacob S. Whitney. Name of Dependent: Mary Whitney. Date of Filing: March 16, 1885; Class, Invalid; appl. no. 535.057, certificate no. 440870. Date of Filing: July 5, 1893; Class, Widow; appl. no. 579.524, certificate no. 505859. State from Which Filed: N.Y.