Family:Whitney, James (1753-1841)
He served in the Revolutionary war; was a farmer and weaver. He resided Newtown, Connecticut.
Phoenix says the following:
- "James Whitney, b. in Stratford, Conn., 10 Aug. 1753; a farmer, weaver and comber; went to Newtown, Conn., in 1771, and there married, 13 Aug. 1777, Eunice Johnson, who was born at Newtown in Dec. 1756, dau. of Abraham and Miriam (Peet) Johnson. He bought land in Newtown, 27 Oct 1774 and 27 Feb. 1775; and, 15 Feb. 1786, he and his wife Eunice bought land in Tinkerfield District, adjoining that which he already owned, from Shadrach Peck, of Fredericksborough, Dutchess Co., N.Y. They bought land, 31 March 1792, of Thomas Stilson, and sold him ten rods of land, with half a dwelling-house, in which he then lived in Newtown, 4 Ap. 1792, evidently to settle an estate in which the wife had an interest, but the record does not show whose. They sold an acre of land in Tinkerfield, 20 March 1798, to Jabez Peck; and another in the same district, 15 Feb. 1802, to Thomas Wheeler Peck, and still had land left. She died in Newtown, 17 Nov. 1822, aged 65 years and 11 months. His second wife was Mrs. Rhoda Peet. He died in Newtown, of old age, 21 May 1841, aged 88 years. They were buried in the Newtown Cemetery, in the Tinkerfield District, where their gravestones were standing in 1873. He was a soldier in the Revolutionary War. "
Children of James6 and Eunice (Johnson) Whitney:
i. Abraham Johnson7 Whitney, b. 28 Mar 1778, Newtown, CT; m. Philena Adams. ii. Hannah Judson Whitney, b. 20 Apr 1782, Newtown, CT; d. Haverstraw, NY; m. Major Samuel Chard; was in war of 1812; resided Haverstraw, NY. iii. Zerah Whitney, b. 10 Jun 1784, Newtown, CT; m. Jane Demond. iv. Ruth Ann Whitney, b. 7 Nov 1785, Newtown, CT. v. Jerusha Whitney, b. 14 Apr 1787, Newtown, CT; d. 21 Sep 1829, Newtown, CT, aged 34 years; resided Danby, NY; m. Henry Shenuck, a drover; and died at the house of her brother, Abraham Johnson Whitney, in Danby, N. Y., according to one account, while another story makes Ruth Ann marry John Shenucks, and Jerusha "a man in New York City." vi. James Lewis Whitney, b. 29 May 1789, Newtown, CT; m. Maria Cass. vii. Sarah Whitney, b. 23 Aug 1790, Newtown, CT; d. 13 Apr 1859, Huron, OH; m. 4 Aug 1810, Southbury, CT, Amason Washburn, b. 21 May 1789, Newtown, CT, son of Zenas and Dinah Ann (Botsford) Washburn, of Hanover, CT; blacksmith and farmer. They settled in Newtown, and after the birth of two children, removed to Southbury, CT, and thence, in 1819, to Vermilion, OH, settling in the virgin forest and cutting out a home. There she died and was buried in Maple Grove Cemetery. He m.(2) 22 Oct 1860, in Huron, OH, Mary Ann (Rose) Hunter, widow of John Hunter. They were still living in Vermilion, in Sep 1874. He was twice in service in the war of 1812, at New Haven, and New London, CT. The Firelands Pioneer, Vol. I, p. 43, says that he "possessed a vigorous constitution, and by persevering industry and frugality, and the good luck of locating on an iron-bed, obtained a competence." viii. Philo Whitney, b. 27 Apr 1792, Newtown, CT; m.(1) Jerusha Wheeler; m.(2) Aurelia Wheeler. ix. Ezra Whitney, b. 18 Sep 1793, Newtown, CT; m. ----- -----. x. Eli Whitney, b. 25 Feb 1795, Newtown, CT; m. Dorcas Austin. xi. Ethiel Whitney, b. 6 May 1796, Newtown, CT; m. Elizabeth Leonard. xii. Abel Whitney, b. 23 Sep 1797, Newtown, CT; m. Elvira Tryphosa Beecher.
James6 and Rhoda (-----)(Peet) Whitney had no children.
Rhoda (-----) Peet may have been identical to Rhoda Morehouse, daughter of Stephen, Jr., and Sarah (Hawley) Morehouse, born 31 Oct 1766, New Milford, CT, who married, about 1788, Joseph Peet of Newtown, CT.
- 1790, Newtown, Fairfield Co., CT: James "Whiting", 1 male over 16, 3 males 0-15, and 5 females.
- 1800, Newtown, Fairfield Co., CT: James Whitney, 1 male over 45, 1 male 10-15, 5 males 0-9, 1 female over 45, 1 female 26-44, and 2 females 10-15
- 1810, Newtown, Fairfield Co., CT: James Whitney, 1 male over 45, 1 male 16-25, 2 males 10-15, 1 female over 45, and 1 female 16-25.
- 1820, Newtown, Fairfield Co., CT: James Whitney, 1 male over 45, 1 male 16-25, 2 females over 45, 1 female 26-44, and 1 female 16-25.
- 1830, Newtown, Fairfield Co., CT: James Whitney, 1 male 70-79 and 1 female 15-19.
- 1840, Newtown, Fairfield Co., CT: Jas Whitney, 1 male 80-89 and 1 female 60-69.
- 1850, Newtown, Fairfield Co., CT:
569 642 Chauncey Noble 56 M - Farmer Conn. Sally " 50 F - $500 " Rhoda Whitney 84 " - "
- All data imported from Frederick Clifton Pierce, The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635, (Chicago: 1895), p. 149.
- Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 93; and p. 279-281.