Family:Whitney, James Sherwood (1848-a1920)
James Sherwood8 Whitney (Leonard Clifton7, Joseph6, James5, James4, Henry3, John2, Henry1), son of Leonard Clifton7 and Betsey Ann (Kinner) Whitney, was born 24 Nov 1848, Patterson, NY, and died between 1920 and 1930.
He married, 6 Oct 1866, Rye, NY, Jenny A. Brown, daughter of James Emery and Jerusha Valentine (Ferris) Brown. She was born 25 Jul 1847, Westport, CT.
He was a hatter. They settled in Norwalk, CT, and were living there in 1920. He served in the war of 1861.
Children of James Sherwood8 and Jenny A. (Brown) Whitney:
i. Thomas Leonard9 Whitney, b. 12 Aug 1867, Danbury, CT; d. aft. 1940; m. 31 Dec 1896, Lena F. Taylor; res. Norwalk, CT. ii. James Clifton Whitney, b. 26 Jan 1870, South Norwalk, CT; d. aft. 1900. iii. Claude Valentine Whitney, b. 14 Dec 1876, Norwalk, CT; d. aft. 1940, then unmarried; res. Norwalk, CT. iv. Mortimer Whitney, b. Apr 1880, CT; d. aft. 1940; m. bef. 1904, Annabelle Kearney; res. Norwalk, CT. v. Vera Delano Whitney, b. 12 Apr 1885, Norwalk, CT; d. 15 Jan 1916 (but living in 1920 census), Greens Farms, CT; m. bet. 1910 and 1915, Harold B. Hastings.
1294 1517 Macauly, Mary 34 F W Keeping house New York -----, Mary 15 F W " 1518 Whitney, James S. 24 M W Expressman " Male citizen over 21 -----, Jennie 23 F W Keeping house Conn. -----, Leonard 3 M W " -----, James C. 5/12 M W " Born in Jan
James WHITNEY 33 Self M M W NY Hat Maker NY NY Jennie WHITNEY 33 Wife F M W CT Keeps House CT CT Leonard WHITNEY 12 Son M S W CT At School NY CT Clifton WHITNEY 10 Son M S W CT At School NY CT Claude WHITNEY 3 Son M S W CT NY CT Mortimer WHITNEY 2M Son M S W CT NY CT
124 174 Whitney, James S. Head W M Nov 1846 53 mar 34 New York New York New York Hat sizer, rents house -----, Jennie Wife W F Jul 1847 52 mar 34 5ch 5liv Connecticut New York Connecticut -----, Claude Son W M Dec 1877 22 sgl Connecticut New York Connecticut No -----, Mortimer Son W M Apr 1879 21 sgl Connecticut New York Connecticut Apprentice Hatter -----, Vera Dau W F Oct 1885 14 sgl Connecticut New York Connecticut At School 9 months
- 1900, son James not found.
- 1910, Norwalk, Fairfield Co., CT: James S. Whitney, wife Jennie A., and son Claude.
- 1910, Danbury, Fairfield Co., CT: Harold B. Hastings, wife Vera D., and daughters Jeannette I. and S. Helen.
- 1920, Norwalk, Fairfield Co., CT: James S. Whitney, wife Jennie A., son Claude, daughter Vera D. Hastings, and granddaughter June Hastings.
- 1930, Norwalk, Fairfield Co., CT: widow Jennie A. Whitney, son Claude, and granddaughter June Hastings.
- All data imported from Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 1242 and pp. 2022-2023.
- Census records.