Family:Whitney, John (1787-1860)
John6 Whitney (Darling5, Daniel4, Richard3, John2, Henry1), son of Darling5 and Sarah (Valentine) Whitney, was born 26 Mar 1787, Woodbury, NY, and died 6 Jan 1860, Woodbury, NY, aged 72 of typhoid fever.
He married, 28 Feb 1809, Huntington, NY, Clarissa Harriet Brush, daughter of Abel and Almeda (Conkling) Brush, "both of Cold Spring". She was born 8 Jul 1789, Huntington, NY, and died after 1860.
Phoenix says the following:
- John Whitney, b. at East Woods, now Woodbury, L. I., 26 March 1787; a country merchant and farmer; married, 28 Feb. 1809, at West Hills, in Huntington, L. I., by Rev. William Schenck, pastor of the Presbyterian Church of Huntington, to Clarissa Harriet Brush, dau. of Abel and Almeda (Conkling) Brush, of West Hills. The church-record of this marriage calls the parties "both of Cold Spring." They settled at East Woods, where he died 6 Jan. 1860, and was buried in Fountain Hill Cemetery.
Children of John6 and Clarissa Harriet (Brush) Whitney:
i. Darling Brush7 Whitney, b. 14 Sep 1810, Huntington, NY; m.(1) Harriet North Vail; m.(2) Letitia Jane Franklin. ii. Sarah Esther Whitney, b. say 1815; m.(1) Jacob Carman Valentine; m.(2) John McDiarmid. iii. Martha Antoinette Whitney, b. 16 Oct 1820, Huntington, NY; m. Zebulon Doty Whitman. iv. Clarissa Harriet Whitney, b. 6 Sep 1824, Woodbury, NY; m. Richard Udall Carll. v. John Jay Whitney, b. 23 Mar 1829, Woodbury, NY; m. Louisa Nicoll Floyd. vi. Margaret Elizabeth Whitney, b. 9 Aug 1831, Woodbury, NY; m. Albertus N. Beach.
- 1810: not found.
- 1820, Huntington, Suffolk Co., NY: John Whitney, 1 male 26-44, 1 male 10-15, 1 female 26-44, and 1 female 0-9; 1 engaged in agriculture.
- 1830, Oyster Bay, Queens Co., NY: John Whitney, 1 male 40-49, 1 male 15-19, 1 male 0-4, 1 female 40-49, 1 female 15-19, 1 female 10-14, and 1 female 5-9.
- 1840, Oyster Bay, Queens Co., NY: John Whitney, 1 male 40-49, 1 male 5-9, 1 female 40-49, 2 females 15-19, 1 female 5-9; 1 engaged in agriculture.
- 1850, Oyster Bay, Queens Co., NY:
130 132 John Whitney 60 M - Farmer $3000 [N.Y.] Elizabeth Whitney 58 F - [N.Y.] John J. Whitney 21 M - [N.Y.] Elizabeth Whitney 18 F - [N.Y.]
This record is problematical. The father's age is understated, and the mother's given name should be Clarissa, not Elizabeth.
1616 1616 Jno. J. Whitney 31 M - Merchant $2500 N.Y. Sarah " 30 F - do Charles F. " 1 M - do Melville Brown 11 M - do Clarissa Whitney 71 F - do
- All data imported from Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 274 and pp. 722-723.