Family:Whitney, John Seth (c1789-1871)
John Seth Whitney, born circa 1789, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, died 9 Oct 1871, Mornington Township, Perth County, Ontario. He was supposedly the son of a Josiah Whitney and was probably identical to Seth6 Whitney, son of Josiah5 and Hannah (Turner) Whitney (q.v.).
He married, say 1817, Elinor Ann Hunter, born circa 1791, and died Shakespeare, Ontario, Canada. She was buried in Bell's Cemetery, North East Hope, Ontario.
Children of John Seth and Elinor Ann (Hunter) Whitney:
i. Josiah Whitney, b. 1819, Missisquoi Co., QC, died 1857, Shakespeare, ON; m. 1848, Shakespeare, ON, Elizabeth Mary Anderson, b. 1828. ii. Sarah Jemima Whitney, b. 1823, Missisquoi County, QC; d. 20 Jul 1906, Mornington Township, Perth Co., ON. iii. Matthew Lang Whitney, b. 1825, Missisquoi Co., QC; d. 25 Feb 1900, Milverton, ON; m. Helen Barr, b. 1839, Scotland, d. 23 Jun 1929, Stratford, ON. iv. John Guyan Whitney, b. Oct 1830, Missisquoi Co., QC, died 16 Sep 1891, Mornington Township, Perth Co., ON; m.(1) Janet Hunter, b. 1836, d. 1862; m.(2) 31 Oct 1866, Mornington Township, Perth Co., ON, Rebecca Jane Coulter, daughter of John Coulter, b. May 1848, ON, d. 9 Dec 1874, Mornington Township, Perth Co., ON. v. Noah Whitney, b. May 1833, Stanbridge, bp. Stanbridge East by minister Matthew Lang.
One of this couples' descendants has been DNA tested and is an exact 25-marker match to the reconstructed DNA signature profile of the immigrant John Whitney of Watertown, MA.
- 1825, Stanbridge, Bedford Co., QC: John Whitney, 4 people; 2 males 0-5, 1 married male 40-59, 1 female 0-13, and 1 married female 14-44 [sic].
- 1851, St. Armand, Mississquoi Co., QC.
- 1861, Mornington, Perth Co., ON.
- 1871, Mornington, Perth Co., ON.
- 1881, Mornington, Perth Co., ON, C-13271, p. 31, household 133:
John WHITNEY W Male Irish 54 Q <Quebec> Farmer C. Methodist John E. W. WHITNEY Male Irish 13 O <Ontario> C. Methodist Margaret A. WHITNEY Female Irish 11 O <Ontario> C. Methodist Ritchard H. WHITNEY Male Irish 6 O <Ontario> C. Methodist Sarah J. WHITNEY Female Irish 58 Q <Quebec> C. Presbyterian
- Archive:Whitney Family - Findings, Stories and Theories - May 11, 2008
- Colpitts and Related Families - Settled in New Brunswick, Canada from ~1760's to ~1850's database on World Connect.
- Virginia MacLatchy to Tim Doyle, 7 July 2008.