Family:Whitney, Jonah (1758-1834)
He married firstly, 25 Sep 1783, Harvard, MA, Lois Hill, daughter of Samuel and Sarah (Knight) Hill. She "Louis" was born 9 Mar 1763, Harvard, MA, and died 10 Jan 1794. An old Bible in possession of a daughter of Amos S. Whitney, at Minneapolis refers to her as Miss Lidia Whitney
He married secondly, 1804, Henniker, NH, Jane Stone, daughter of James and Lydia (Abbott) Stone. She was born 10 Nov 1781, Henniker, NH, and died 1864.
Jonah Whitney was born in Harvard, MA, in 1758. He served in the Revolutionary war from Harvard, in 1780, in Capt. Williams' company and his age was then given as 21. After the death of his first wife, in 1805, he moved to Henniker, NH. It is reported that his father paid for the land which he took up with a half barrel of silver dollars. He served in the war of 1812, and died from the effects of a fever sore contracted while sleeping on the ground and camping out. He resided Harvard, MA, and Henniker, NH.
Children of Jonah6 and Lois (Hill) Whitney:
i. Lois Hill7 Whitney, b. 25 Jul 1786; d. 25 Apr 1818; m. 14 Nov 1806, Harvard, MA, James Turner.
Children of Jonah6 and Jane (Stone) Whitney:
ii. Amos Stone Whitney, b. 27 Apr 1807; m. Mrs. Emeline (Jakway) Holden. iii. Cyrus J. Whitney, b. 26 Apr 1812; m. Mary J. Morrison.
- 1790, Harvard, Worcester Co., MA: Jonah Whitney, 1 male over 16 and 2 females.
- 1800: not found.
- 1810, Henniker, Hillsborough Co., NH: Jonh Whitney, 1 male over 45, 1 male 26-44, 1 male 0-9, and 1 female 16-25.
- 1820: not found.
- 1830: not found.
- 1840, widow Jane not found.
- 1850, widow Jane not found.
- 1860, widow Jane not found.
- All data imported from Frederick Clifton Pierce, The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635, (Chicago: 1895), p. 196.
1.^ "Jonah [Whitney], s. of Isaiah and Persis, [born] June 19, 1758," according to Thomas W. Baldwin, ed., Vital Records of Harvard, Massachusetts, to the Year 1850 (Boston, MA: Wright & Potter Printing Co., 1917).