Family:Whitney, Joseph (1802-1867)
Joseph6 Whitney (Jared5, John4, Richard3, John2, Henry1), son of Jared5 and Sally (Rogers) Whitney, was born 19 Oct 1802, Branford, CT, was baptized 6 Mar 1803, Branford, CT, and died 18 Jul 1867, Washington, DC, in the 65th year of his age. He is buried in the Congressional burying-ground.
He married, Washington, DC, Margaret Ball, of Virginia. She died 18 Jul 1868, Washington, DC. She is buried in the Congressional burying-ground.
Phoenix says the following:
- "Joseph Whitney, b. in Branford, Conn., 19 Oct. 1802; married in Washington, D. C., Margaret Ball, of Virginia; settled in Washington, where he kept a shoe-store on Pennsylvania Avenue, and died there, 18 July 1867, in the 65th year of his age. She died at Washington, 18 July 1868. They were buried in the Congressional burying-ground. An obituary notice of him shows that he was a member of Columbia Lodge, No. 10, I. O. O. F.; and that his house, at the time of his death, was "between 14th and 15th, and P and Q, Streets.""
Children of Joseph6 and Margaret (Ball) Whitney:
i. James Oscar7 Whitney, b. 30 Nov 1825, Washington, DC; m. Sallie Maria Moore. ii. Sarah Ann Whitney, b. ca. 1834; d. 9 Oct 1854, of consumption; bur. in the Congressional Cemetery, Washington, DC. iii. (child) Whitney, d. young. iv. (child) Whitney, d. young. v. (child) Whitney, d. young. vi. (child) Whitney, d. young. vii. (child) Whitney, d. young. viii. (child) Whitney, d. young. ix. (child) Whitney, d. young.
- 1830, Washington Ward 2, Washington Co., DC: Joseph Whitney, 1 male 20-29, 2 males 0-4, and 1 female 20-29.
- 1840, Washington, Washington Co., DC: Joseph Whitney, 1 male 30-39, 1 male 20-29, 1 male 15-19, 1 male 10-14, 1 female 30-39, 1 female 20-29, 1 female 15-19, and 1 female 5-9; 1 engaged in navigation of canals, lakes, and rivers.
- 1850, Washington Ward 3, Washington Co., DC:
168 168 J. Whitney 48 M - Shoemaker 600 CT Marthey 49 F VA John 24 M - Carpenter 800 DC Susan 17 F " W. Phillips 25 M - Shoemaker NY H. Peal 17 F DC J. Harry 16 M - Shoemaker VA J. Joyce 16 M - " VA
This is a problematical listing. The father of this family is pretty clearly correct, but the wife should be Margaret, and the children should be James and Sarah. Nevertheless, the ages of all four are substantially correct.
1024 1055 Jos. Whitney 59 M - Shoemaker 150 Connecticut Margaret Whitney 60 F - Virginia Angeline Glover 20 F - Servant Virginia Thos. Robertson 50 M - Shoemaker Maryland Rebecca Robertson 49 F - Maryland James Mulroy 30 M - Tailor Ireland Mary Mulroy 27 F - Ireland Mary Mulroy 3 F - Washington D.C.
- All data imported from Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 267 and p. 705-706.