Family:Whitney, Ruggles Nahum (1826-1865)
Ruggles Nahum8 Whitney (Abel7, James6, Samuel5, Samuel4, Nathaniel3, John2, John1), son of Abel7 and Elvira Triphosa (Beecher) Whitney, was born 6 Apr 1826, Newtown, CT, and died 6 Nov 1865, Florence, OH.
He married, 9 or 11 Jun 1848, Newtown, CT, Mary Jane Sherman, daughter of Warren and Catharine (Hamilton) Sherman. She was born 19 Aug 1826, Roxbury, CT, and died after 1880.
He was justice of the peace and town clerk of Florence. He resided Florence, OH.
Phoenix says the following:
- "Ruggles Nahum Whitney, b. in Newtown, Conn., 6 Ap. 1826: a trader; married at Sandy Hook, in Newtown, 9 June 1848, by Rev. George A. Hubbel, Methodist Episcopal, to Jane Sherman, whose father then lived at Sandy Hook. She was born in Roxbury, Conn., 19 Aug. 1826, dau. of Warren and Catharine (Hamilton) Sherman. They settled in Vermillion, Ohio; and in 1850, moved to Florence, Ohio, where he died 6 Nov. 1865. He was buried in Maple Grove Cemetery, in Vermillion. At the time of his death, he was justice of the peace, and town-clerk of Florence. His widow was living at 613 Greene Avenue, Brooklyn, N. Y., Sep 1874."
Children of Ruggles Nahum8 and Jane (Sherman) Whitney:
i. Lewis Edwin9 Whitney, b. 3 Sep 1850, Vermilion, OH; d. 3 Oct 1851, Florence, OH; buried Maple Grove Cemetery, Vermilion, OH. The 1850 census suggests that he was born in 1849, not 1850, but the gravestone inscription says 1850. ii. Evangeline Emily Whitney, b. 23 Aug 1852, Florence, OH; resided with mother, 613 Green Ave., Brooklyn, NY, in 1874; d. after 1880, then unmarried.
46 49 Abel Whitney 53 M - Farmer Connecticut Lavina Whitney 48 F - Do Eunice O. Whitney 26 F - Do Hannah Whitney 18 F - Do Attended school Charles Whitney 16 M - Laborer Do Attended school Theodore Whitney 10 M - Do Attended school Aurelia Whitney 8 F - Do Attended school Ruggles M. Whitney 24 M - Farmer Do Jane Whitney 23 F - Do Lewis E. Whitney 10/12 M - Ohio
934 917 R. N. Whitney 32 M - Merchant $900 $200 Conn. Jane Whitney 31 F - Conn. Eva Whitney 8 F - Ohio Attended school
- 1870, widow Mary Jane not found.
- 1870, Brooklyn Ward 22, Kings Co., NY:
496 603 Ford, Calvin B. 42 M W Clergyman $2000 Connecticut Male citizen over 21 -----, Sarah T. 44 F W Keeping house Connecticut -----, Harriet C. 11 F W At home Connecticut Whitney, Evangeline 18 F W At home Ohio
James W WHITNEY 60 Self M M W CT Dry Goods Merchant CT CT Anna M WHITNEY 56 Wife F M W NJ Keeping House PA PA Jane M WHITNEY 56 Cous F W W CT Housekeeper CT CT Evaline E WHITNEY 27 Cous F S W OH School Teacher CT CT Mary LYNCH 28 Othe F S W IRE House Servant IRE IRE
- All data imported from Frederick Clifton Pierce, The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635, (Chicago: 1895), p. 467.
- Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 743; and p. 1563.