Family:Whitney, William Henry Harrison (1840-1911)
William Henry Harrison8 Whitney (Abel7, Elijah6, Elijah5, Elijah4, Isaiah3, Thomas2, John1), son of Abel7 and Mary Lunt (Conner) Whitney, was born 16 Apr 1840, Worcester, VT, and died 28 Jun 1911, Kansas City, MO. He was buried in Oak Hill Cemetery, Lawrence, KS.
He married, 18 Sep 1861, Morrisville, VT, Susan Raymond Burnett, daughter of Calvin and Abigail (Slocomb) Burnett. She was born 8 May 1842, Shelburne, VT, and died 2 Dec 1925, Kansas City, MO. She was apparently mistakenly called "Dorcas" at the birth of a daughter on 3 Jul 1862. She was buried in Oak Hill Cemetery, Lawrence, KS.
During the Civil War, William served as a private in the Union Army with Company I of Vermont's 13th Infantry Regiment, organized Oct. 10, 1862. He mustered out July 21, 1863.
Obituary, Lawrence Daily Journal-World, Thursday,William June 29, 1911, page 2, column 6:
- "WAS ONCE PROMINENT HERE
- "W. H. Whitney Lived in Lawrence Many eYars.
- "Kansas City, June 29.--Heart disease, an attack of which came upon him suddenly, caused the death of W. H. Whitney, one of Kansas City's best known live stockmen, yesterday morning at Bow Park farm, near Linwood, Kan., following an illness of but about two hours.
- "Mr. Whitney lived at 3112 Flora avenue. His widow and a daughter, Miss Lillian Whitney, reside there. He also leaves two sons, C. L. Whitney of the Columbus Buggy company, and J. H. Whitney, who travels for the Edwards & Sloan Jewelry company. Mr. Whitney was 70 years old. He was born in Montpelier, Vt., and came to Kansas at an early age. He was a resident of Lawrence, Kan., for many years, but seventeen years ago became established in Kansas City in the live stock business. He was a member of the Kansas Live Stock exchange.
- "As yet no arrangements have been made for the funeral. The body will be brought to Kansas City this morning.
- "Mr. Whitney was for many years a resident of this city and he never lost interest in the city or in its people."
Children of William Henry Harrison8 and Susan Raymond (Burnett) Whitney:
i. (daughter)9 Whitney, b. 3 Jul 1862, Middlesex, VT. This child may be the same as the next. ii. Henry Colman Whitney, b. 29 Jun 1862, Middlesex, VT; d. 8 Oct 1879, Lawrence, KS, aged 17 years 3 months 10 days; bur. Oak Hill Cemetery, Lawrence, KS. iii. Charles Lincoln Whitney, b. 28 Jul 1864, Lawrence, KS; d. 26 Feb 1943, Kansas City, MO; bur. Oak Hill Cemetery, Lawrence, KS; m. Susie Tomlinson Moore. iv. Lillian Whitney, b. 1 Jan 1872, Lawrence, KS; d. 12 Jul 1961, Kansas City, MO; bur. Oak Hill Cemetery, Lawrence, KS; unmarried. v. Jay Haviland Whitney, b. 1 Feb 1874, Lawrence, KS; d. 7 Dec 1863, Kansas City, MO; bur. Oak Hill Cemetery, Lawrence, KS; m. 12 May 1919, Helen (-----) Cogdell; divorced; no children.
1024 1097 G. M. Whitney 29 M - Lumbering $4500 $1300 Vermont Mary S. Whitney 23 F - do Mary B. " 3 F - do Henry Whitney 20 M - Lumbering do
8 11 Whitney, William H. H. 30 M W Real estate agt $21600 $1200 Vermont Male citizen over 21 -----, Susan R. 28 F W Keeping house Vermont -----, Henry C. 8 M W Vermont Attended school -----, Charles L. 5 M W Kansas Houston, Bayard T. 15 M W Laborer Virginia Father of foreign birth, Attended school Madding Elizabeth 15 F M Donestic Sevt. Arkansas
Wm. H. WHITNEY 40 Self M M W VT Livery Man VT MA Susan R. WHITNEY 38 Wife F M W VT Keeping House VT MA Charles WHITNEY 14 Son M S W KS At School VT VT Lillian WHITNEY 8 Dau F S W KS At School VT VT Havaland WHITNEY 6 Son M S W KS VT VT Edward BENNETT 24 Oth M S W VT Laborer VT VT George LARSON 20 Oth M S W IL Laborer IL IL Mary GRACRY 24 Oth F M B MO Servant MO MO Adda JACKSON 28 Oth F W W IN Sewing IN IN
- Pedigree Resource File, at FamilySearch.org.