Archive:The Descendants of John Whitney, page 136

From WRG
Jump to navigationJump to search

Archives > Extracts > Archive:The Descendants of John Whitney > The Descendants of John Whitney, page 136

The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635, by Frederick Clifton Pierce (Chicago: 1895)

Transcribed by the Whitney Research Group, 1999.

Previous page Next page

of his sale. In this impoverished condition he began anew by purchasing of Charles PHELPS 472 1/2 acres of land, the deed of which is dated Mar. 28, 1777. He sold part of the land to his brother Eliphalet and purchased other adjoining of Perez STOCKWELL, June 12, 1777. He again became a prosperous farmer and was an influential and much esteemed citizen. In the adventures of Cap't WHITNEY, as one of the early settlers of Marlboro, there are numerous incidents not wholly devoid of interest and which would justify an extended notice in the town history. On one occasion he killed a bear which when dressed weighed 466 pounds, one of the largest, if not the largest ever killed in Vermont. Cap't WHITNEY was a staunch Whig, and took a decided stand in favor of the American Revolution. On hearing of the battle of Lexington which occurred April 19, 1775, Cap't WHITNEY and Cap't Jonathon WARREN shouldered their muskets and hastened forward to offer their services as volunteers in defense of the colonies. He reached Bennington on the eve of the battle Aug. 16, 1777, and was placed as a guard over a captured enemy. At the close of the campaign he returned to his family and his farm, a laborious citizen, taking a lively interest in the growth and prosperity of the town and in the spiritual advance of the Congregational church of which for many years he was a worthy member. He reared a large family of children, whose voices in the church choir will long be remembered. He d. June 4, 1829; res. Shrewsbury, Mass., and Marlboro, Vt. 1852. i. SOLOMON, b. Mar.7, 1781;m. Lucy LYMAN and Mrs. Sybil (ARMES) GOUDENOW. 1853. ii. NATHANIEL, b. Sept. 15, 1771, in S.; d. Dec 1, 1771, in S. 1854. iii. CHARLOTTE, b Apr. 4, 1785; m. 1806, Eli HIGLEY; res Whiting- ham. He d. May 4, 1845. She m. 2d, Jabez SMITH of Whilming- ton. 1855. iv. ZILPHA, b. June 8, 1789; m. Elisha PUTNAM, of Buckland, Mass. He was b. May 18, 1786; d. Shelburne Falls, Mass., Dec. 24, 1859. 1856. v. LUTHER, b. Oct. 2, 1777; m. Jerusha -----. 1857. vi. MOLLY, b. Mar 1776; d. Sept. 1783. 1858. vii. DOLLY, b. July 29, 1774; m. 1789, Henry SAWTELL. 1859. viii. CHLOE, b. May 4, 1783; d. Sept. 12, 1803. 1860. ix. RHODE, b. July 9, 1787; m. William MERRILL, res. Burlington. She d. 1848. 1861. x. MOLLY, b. Sept. 10, 1772; d. Dec. 10, 1774, in Marlboro. Her remains were the first interred in the graveyard in the woods in Marlboro. 1862. xi. NATHANIEL, b. May 24, 1779; m. Sally STEWART and Mrs. Lucy (HOUGHTON) HATCH. 1863. xii. BETSEY, b. Aug. 22, 1791; m. Asa JACOBS, of Guilford. 1864. xiii. CLARK, b. Apr. 8, 1794; d. Feb. 13, 1814. 760. DEA. JONAS WHITNEY (Samuel, Nathaniel, Nathaniel, John, John), b. Shrewsbury, Mass., June 14, 1751; m. Jan 11, 1773, Tamar HOUGHTON, of L., b. June 8, 1754; d. Mar. 31, 1831. He was born in Shrewsbury, Mass., and with his brother was an early settler in Marlboro, Vt. Was for many years a deacon in the Congregational church. When the first town meeting was held in 1775 he was elected to office. The Deacon kept the tavern down the hill in Marlboro, where the good fathers used to go on Sunday during the intermission between the morning and afternoon service. Clubs of four would call for a "mug of toddy" to moisten their bread and cheese. The Deacon mixed it, for who could make such excellent tody as he? The large glass, holding a quart, two-thirds full of water, was well seasoned with loaf sugar, when it was filled up with "old Jamaica rum," and well mixed by an adept use of the "toddy stick," receiving its finishing touch with a sprinkling of grated nutmeg. The four drank out of the same glass, "passing it around." If there was more than they needed they passed it to others, for they were prudent and temperate in all things. A "half mug" served for two, and it was seldom that anyone drank alone. As a rule, each one paid his share, the business of treating not being popular in the church. This harmless social habit is scouted now, though drunkenness at that time was almost unknown. If a young man got so far under the influence of strong drink as to lose the proper control of his limbs or his tongue, it brought a stigma upon him in the community, from which he rarely recovered. His wife was one of a family of eleven children, and was the frist to die, aged 77 years. The youngest of the eleven was present at her funeral -- his age was 55; he died in Strongsville, Ohio. He d. Apr. 28, 1842; res. Shrewsbury, Mass., Marlboro, Vt., and Strongsville, Ohio.

Previous page Next page

Copyright © 1999, 2006 The Whitney Research Group