Archive:The Descendants of John Whitney, page 171

From WRG
Jump to navigationJump to search

Archives > Extracts > Archive:The Descendants of John Whitney > The Descendants of John Whitney, page 171

The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635, by Frederick Clifton Pierce (Chicago: 1895)

Transcribed by the Whitney Research Group, 1999.

Previous page Next page

and thunder and destroyed the south part of the house and preserved our lives in the north end of the house." The house was struck by lightning while the family was at prayer one warm Sabbath evening. A curious fact was that every room in the house was damaged but the one occupied by the family at the time. No one was hurt, although his daughter, Julia, was struck to the floor, as she stood near a window. The house is yet standing, I think. He married his wife against the wishes of his father, but he was soon reconciled. "Mehitable was a very handsome girl and remarkably smart." He was a very patient, gentle man, was a deacon in the Pres- byterian church. He d. Oct. 25, 1839; res. Otis, Mass. 2337. i. PAUL, b. June 18, 1793; m. Rebecca Desire FREEMAN and Mrs. Harriett (WHEELER) ROBERTS. 2338. ii. JULIA, b. -----; m. Jesse WILLIAMS; res. Sandisfield, Mass. A son, Orville, is a physician. She d. Aug. 6, 1856, in New Boston, Mass. 2339. iii. HANNAH, b. -----; m. Isaac SNOW; res. Otis. 2340. iv. MEHITABLE, b. -----; m. ----- GALPIN. Had 2 sons. Mehit- able WHITNEY, daughter of Hezekiah WHITNEY, was a small, frail woman, waist measure when a girl less than eighteen inches; her whole figure well proportioned. Yet this frail, little woman, once in winter when the deep snow made stout men wait before braving it, found the supply of fuel almost gone and her father too ill to go for any. She donned her father's coat and trousers, boots and mittens, yoked the oxen, and with shovel to help clear away the snow, went into the woods alone, cut down, drew home, and cut for the fire wood enough to last till her father was well again. 2341. v. HEZEKIAH, b. -----; d. unm. at Buffalo, N.Y. 2342. vi. WILLIAM, b. -----; d. in infancy. 2343. vii. JULIETTE, b. -----; m. John BOWEN. 2344. viii. SALLY, b. -----; m. John BOWEN. After her death he m. Juliette. 2345. ix. LUCY, b. -----; m. ----- CHATFIELD. 2346. x. TABITHA, b. -----; m. John BOWEN. 983. DR. JONATHAN WHITNEY (Timothy, Jonas, Moses, Richard, John), b. Otis, Mass., Sept. 14, 1768 [NOTE]; m. Nov. 27, 1800, Dolly SMITH; b. Mar. 17, 1782; d. in Cayuga, N.Y., in 1846. Her father was a sea captain. He was born in Otis, Mass., the son of Timothy and Alice (WHITNEY) WHITNEY. With his parents he moved to Petersham, Mass., where he passed his early life and where he studied medicine. Soon after his majority he started for the west, locating in Cayuga, N.Y., where he was one of the earliest settlers. He was a physician of eminence and, with a few others at the beginning of the century, amde the eastern shore of Cayuga Lake famous throughout the state. Dr. WHITNEY was highly respected by the entire community. Cayuga bridge was built in 1797. There was only a log tavern, built by Mr. HARDENBURG at Auburn, when he passed through. Cayuga at that time was the county seat. He first located in Cayuga. AFter remain- ing there a few years he sold his rigs and moved to Batavia, N.Y. After a year's residence there, the physician at Cayuga died and the people sent for him to return, which he did, and remained there the rest of his life. He d. July, 1850; res. Cayuga, N.Y. 2347. i. WILLIAM, b. Aug. 15, 1815; m. Elizabeth J. TURNER. 2348. ii. CHARLES H., b. Jan. 25, 1824; m. Elizabeth LOWE. 2349. iii. EDWIN H., b. Oct. 7, 1806; m. Jane HORTON and Eliza J. KYLE. 2350. iv. MARY BRAINERD, b. Sept. 12, 1801; m. Feb. 15, 1827, Cutler L. LAFLIN. He was b. in Southwick, Mass., Oct. 17, 1799; d. at Westfield, Oct. 2, 1877. She d. there Dec. 25, 1885; res. West- field, Mass. He was emphatically the architect of his own fortunes. Honesty, economy, and application tell the story of his successful career. From a clerkship at Suffield, Conn., he went to Gorham, Me., and engaged in the powder business. Later he was in the fur trade in Montreal and Quebec. Dis- posing of this business, he returned to the States and engaged in the manufacture of paper at Lee, Mass. The business at Lee was finally discontinued, when Mr. LAFLIN opened a commis- sion paper warehouse in New Orleans with a Mr. STEAVENS of

Previous page Next page

Copyright © 1999, 2006 The Whitney Research Group