Archive:The Descendants of John Whitney, page 503

From WRG
Jump to navigationJump to search

Archives > Extracts > Archive:The Descendants of John Whitney > The Descendants of John Whitney, page 503

The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635, by Frederick Clifton Pierce (Chicago: 1895)

Transcribed by the Whitney Research Group, 1999.

Previous page Next page

stock, where he was married. For several years he kept hotel, and in 1855 moved to Brooklyn, N. Y., where after a residence of ten years he died. After his death the family returned to Woodstock, Vt. He d. Dec. 6, 1866; res. Brooklyn, N.Y. 7802. i. HARRY, b. Mar. 5, 1852; m. Jessie CORWIN; res. Brooklyn, N. Y. 7803. ii. MARY AGUSTA, b. Sept. 5, 1853; m. June 12, 1878, James C. BARRETT; b. Dec. 26, 1851; d. Feb. 15, 1887; res. 15 Pleasant St., Rutland, Vt. He was a lawyer. Ch.; Fred'k Jas, b. Nov. 25, 1879; Ruth, b. Jan. 12, 1881. 7804. iii. ELLEN AMELIA, b. Aug. 31, 1864; m. Oct. 28, 1885, Dr. Deane RICHMOND; res. Windsor, Vt. He was b. Aug. 20, 1862, Ch.; Whitney J., b. Aug. 13, 1887; Robert K., b. Jan. 31, 1889; How- ard K., b. June 2, 1891. 4606. CHARLES LEMUEL WHITNEY (Samuel, Lemuel, Ephraim, Jonas, Moses, Richard, John), b. Cavendish, Vt., Feb. 23, 1832; m. in Fredonia, N. Y., Sept. 27, 1857, Frances J. GORE; b. Nov. 9, 1835; d. Nov. 17, 1872, in Brattleboro, Vt. He was born in Proctorsville in the town of Cavendish, Windsor Co., Vt.; lived there about six weeks, then went to White River; lived there about two years, then went to Woodstock, Vt., where his father and mother died. Lived there till he was about sixteen years old. After that he was clerk in the old Stage house, at Brattle- boro, Vt., working for Major Henry SMITH. Afterwards was in the REVERE house, Boston, Mass., for a time; also, was at Windsor, Vt., in the Windsor house, for J. H. Simonds. He kept the Central house, in Brattleboro, Vt., from 1853 to 1856, three years, then went to Toledo, O., and had charge and opened the Island house. Stayed there about a year, then took the Kingsbury house, with Mr. J. BROWN; afterwards sold out to him. He went to Brattleboro for a while. Then traveled with James FISK Jr., for a year or two on the road, and was with him when he failed, just before he went in with Jordan Marsh & Co., of Boston. Then he went to Rutland, Vt., and was with E. Foster COOK, in the Bardwell house, for three years. Then went to Bruttleboro, Vt., and took his wife's father's business in making mowing machines for a few years, He was tuning for the Estey Organ Coumpany, Brattleboro, Vt. for two years, then went to New Haven, Conn., and had charge of the tuning depart- ment in B. SHONINGER's organ factory for three or four years, afterwards with the New Haven Organ Co. for a year or so; then was back to Brattleboro for a few years, and then went with O. B. North & Co., New Haven, Conn., extensive makers of saddlery and carriage hardware, as traveling salesman, where he has been for the past twelve years; res. New Haven, Conn. 7805. i. ALICE CHASE, b. Feb. 21, 1868; res. 15 Pleasant St., Rutland, Vt. 7806. ii. FRED'K, b. June 19, 1859; d. Jan. 20, 1860. 4608. CHARLES MARSH WHITNEY (Edward W., Samuel W., Ephraim, Jonas, Moses, Richard, John), b. Dummerston, Vt., Feb. 10, 1828; m. at Fairfax, Vt., Oct. 7, 1850, Delia Minerva SAFFORD; b. May 13, 1831. Charles Marsh WHITNEY left Albany in 1840, going to Fort Covington, N. Y., where he clerked in the store of his uncle Charles MARSH. From this point he went to Bangor, N. Y., engaging in mercantile pursuits, for a period of three years, when he went to La Crosse, Wis., in 1857, engaging in the lumber business with Sher- man Griswold & Co. On the completion of the La Crosse & Milwaukee railroad (now the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul), he entered its employ, being chief clerk and general agent at La Crosse; was also secretary and one of the founders of the La Crosse & Minnesota Steam Packet Co., later known as the Davidson or "White Collar Packet Line." He shipped the first bar of railroad iron and locomotive into the state of Minnesota, and claims to have bought and shipped the first bushel of wheat from the state of Minnesota. From 1865 to 1871 he was in the steamboat, grain and lumber business, having mills on the Chippewa river, warehouses on the Southern Minnesota railway, Rumsey's Landing and Eau Claire, Wis. From 1871 to 1873 was financial manager of the La Crosse Republican and Leader. From 1873 to 1879 was in Chicago as business manager for John Servis, board of trade. From 1879 to 1885 steamboat, grain and commission business at Canton, Mo. From 1885 to the present time assist- ent cashier and cashier of the First National bank of Faribault, which latter position he now holds. In politics "Democrat to backbone three inches in the marrow;" res. Faribault, Minn. 7807. i. HARRY E., b. Sept. 4, 1851; m. Mary VAN VILIET. 7808. ii. GEO. SAFFORD, b. Dec. 9, 1858; m. Lillian Francis LATHROP. 7809. iii. CHILD, b. May 10, 1852; d. May 13, 1852. 7810. iv. CHILD, b. Sept. 10, 1853; d. Nov. 1, 1853.

Previous page Next page

Copyright © 1999, 2006 The Whitney Research Group