Family:Whitney, Amos (1826-1864)
Amos8 Whitney (Benjamin7, Aaron6, Daniel5, Daniel4, Henry3, John2, Henry1), son of Benjamin7 and Mary (Stark) Whitney, was born 11 Apr 1826, Big Flats, NY, and died 30 Jul 1864, Frederick City, MD. He was buried in the Hospital Cemetery at Frederick City, and afterward removed to the family burial-ground, at Big Flats, NY.
He married, 16 Sep 1852, Covert, NY, Louisa Johnston, daughter of Luke and Jemima (Granger) Johnston. She was born about 1828, NY, and died after 1892.
Phoenix says the following:
- "They settled at Big Flats, where she was still living in 1874. He enlisted in Sep 1862, in Company C, 5th Regiment, New York State Volunteer Artillery; was appointed quartermaster-sergeant; took part in the battles before Lynchburgh, VA, 17 and 18 Jun 1864; was mortally wounded in the battle of Snicker's Gap, VA, 18 Jul 1864; and died of the wound in hospital at Frederick City, MD, 30 Jul 1864."
Children of Amos8 and Louisa (Johnston) Whitney, all born Big Flats, NY:
i. Frank L.9 Whitney, b. 23 Aug 1854; m. 18 Mar 1874, Corning, NY, Jenny Moret, daughter of John and Marie (Shoemaker) Moret. ii. Anna Louise Whitney, b. 23 Jan 1856; a student in the State Normal School at Oswego, NY, in 1874; d. 28 Feb 1939, St. Paul, MN; m. 13 Jul 1880, Charles Johnson Buell. iii. Harriet C. Whitney, b. 20 Sep 1859; was living in Big Flats, NY, in 1892, with her mother. iv. Albert Amos Whitney, b. 9 Dec 1862; m. Frances A. Smith.
379 381 Benjamin Whitney 61 M - Gentleman $4000 $1000 N.Y. Mary Whitney 64 F - N.Y. 380 382 Amos Whitney 33 M - Farmer $5000 $2000 N.Y. Louisa Whitney 32 F - N.Y. Frank Whitney 6 M - N.Y. Anna Whitney 4 F - N.Y. Harriet Whitney 1 F - N.Y. Uri Goff 21 M - Farmer $100 N.Y. Philoman Brace 24 M - Cigar Maker $75 N.Y. Sarah Van Wagner 17 F - Domestic N.J. J. R. Ide 55 M - Physician Vt.
- 1865 State: not found.
- 1870, Big Flats, Chemung Co., NY:
154 154 Whitney, Louisa 42 F W Keeps house $7000 $1000 New York -----, Frank 15 M W New York Attended school -----, Anna 14 F W New York Attended school -----, Harriet 10 F W New York Attended school -----, Albert 7 M W New York Attended school Johnson, Luke 71 M W New York Male citizen over 21
Luke JOHNSON 81 Self M W W NJ Laborer NJ NJ Loursia WHITNEY 52 Dau F W W NY Keeping house NJ NJ Hattie E. WHITNEY 20 Dau F S W NY At home NY NY Frank RIGGLES 21 --- M S W GER Laborer GER GER
- 1880, son Albert Amos not found.
- 1880, Horseheads, Chemung Co., NY:
Frank WHITNEY 25 Self M M W NY Teamster NY NY Jennie WHITNEY 32 Wife F M W NY Keeping House NY NY Frank L. WHITNEY 3 Son M S W NY NY NY Vincent WHITNEY 10M Son M S W NY NY NY
Lewis J. Sturdevant M 35 - United States C. Insurance agt. Hattie E. Sturdevant F 34 - " C. Rex L. Sturdevant M 10 - " C. Tracy B. Sturdevant M 6 - " C. Thomas Farrer M 77 - England C. Mary Farrer F 76 - Wales C. Anna Hoagland F 44 - United States C. Maggie Skinner F 22 - " C. Louise Whitney F 65 - " C. Wilbur G. Griffes M 42 - " C. Cutter Clara Griffes F 37 - " C. Kate Griffes F 17 - " C. Florence Griffes F 12 - " C. Belle Wood F 28 - " C. Domestic Hattie E. Whitney F 30 - " C. Charles Griffes M 7 - United States C. Marguerite Griffes F 5 - " C. Belinda Tomlinson F 57 - " C. Rose Smith F 35 - " C.
Owen Fletcher M 53 - U.S. C. Caroenter Jennie Whitney F 45 - " C. Lavern F. Whitney M 15 - " C. Vincent N. Whitney M 13 - " C. Cornelo O. Whitney M 2 - " C.
195 281 Fletcher, Jennie Head W F Jul 1845 54 mar 21 4ch 4liv New York New York New York Rents house Whitney, Vincent Son W M Aug 1889 20 sgl New York New York New York Telephone lineman Fletcher, Cornelia Dau W F Nov 1890 9 sgl New York Massachusetts New York At school
- Census records.
- All data imported from Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 1161 and p. 1981-1982.