Family:Whitney, Amza A. (1852-1911)

From WRG
Jump to navigationJump to search

Amza A.9 Whitney (Lyman Banks8, Samuel7, Lyman6, Samuel5, Samuel4, Richard3, John2, Henry1), son of Lyman Banks8 and Elizabeth Ann (Vail) Whitney, was born 18 Jan 1852, South Bloomfield, OH, and died 20 Aug 1911, Mount Gilead, OH.

He married firstly, 22 Mar 1876, Knox Co., OH, Mary Virginia Henderson, daughter of William B. and Mary J. (Rusk) Henderson. She was born circa 1853, Mount Vernon, OH, and died 3 Dec 1885, Sparta, OH.

He married secondly, 13 Sep 1888, Knox Co., Ella E. Henderson, daughter of William B. and Mary J. (Rusk) Henderson. She was born 11 Jun 1855, Mount Vernon, OH, and died 13 Apr 1927, Mount Gilead, OH. Amza and Ella had no known children.

Baughman says the following:[1]

AMZA WHITNEY - A prominent and influential citizen of Mt. Gilead, Morrow county, Ohio, and one whose contribution to the commercial and industrial affairs of this section of the fine old Buckeye state has been of most important order, is Amza A. Whitney, who is a native son of this county, his birth having occurred in South Bloomfield township on the 18th of Jan., 1852. He is a scion of an old New England family early established in the state of Connecticut, whence his grandfather, Samuel Whitney, immigrated to Morrow county, Ohio, about the year 1845. Samuel Whitney later removed to Delaware county, this state, where he was engaged in farming as a vocation and where his death occurred. Amza A. Whitney's parents, Lyman B. and Elizabeth Ann (Vail) Whitney, resided in the city of Columbus, Ohio, for a time and in that place occurred the death of the father in 18542, at which time the subject of this review was a child of but eleven months of age. Mrs. Whitney was a daughter of Benjamin T. and Mary A. Vail, who kept a country tavern in the southern part of Morrow county, the same being known as Vail's Cross roads or Vail's Tavern. She died at Mt. Gilead in 1872.

Amza A. Whitney attended the public schools of Mt. Gilead, Ohio, until he had attained to the age of sixteen years, at which time he began to clerk in a dry goods store at Sparta, where he was in the employ of his uncle for one year. Thereafter he was connected with the same line of enterprise at Mt. Vernon for a period of ten years, at the expiration of which he returned to Sparta, where he purchased the store from his uncle, which he conducted with most gratifying success for the ensuing ten years. In 1889 he was elected auditor of Morrow county, as a Democrat, the county being strongly Republican. He assumed the responsibilities of his office in October, 1890, and served for a period of three years, at the expiration of which he was elected to that office as his own successor, serving for another term of three years. In 1891 he became one of the organizers of the Mt. Gilead Goods Company, of which he was made president. After retiring from the office of county auditor he became general manager of the dry goods concern, of which he later became sole owner, the firm being goods concern, of which he later became sole owner, the firm being known under the name of A. A. Whitney & Sons and consisting of the following members: Amza A. Whitney, of this sketch, Allen B. Whitney, Clarence C. Whitney and Horace W. Whitney. Aside from his mercantile business Mr. Whitney has other financial interests of broad scope and importance. He is one of the directors in the National Bank of Morrow county, at Mt. Gilead; is president and was one of the organizers of the Morrow County Telephone Company; was also one of the organizers of the Electric Light & Water Power Plant of Mt. Gilead, in which he is a stock holder and a director; and is a director in the Galion, Ohio, Telephone Company. In 1909 he was appointed by Governor Harmon as one of the trustees of the Ohio State Sanatarium at Mt. Vernon, Ohio, in which capacity he is serving at the present time, in 1911. He is also a stock holder in the Marengo Bank of Morrow county, in the Commercial Bank, at Galion, Ohio, and in the Commercial Bank at Upper Sandusky, Ohio.

Mr. Whitney has been twice married, his first union having been with Miss Mary V. Henderson, who was the mother of his three sons, mentioned above. Mrs. Whitney was summoned to the life eternal in 1885, and in 1888 was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Whitney to Miss Ella E. Henderson a sister of his first wife. No children have been born to the latter union.

In his political convictions Mr. Whitney is aligned as a stalwart supporter of the principles and policies of the Democratic party, and while he has not been an active participant in politics he has been on the alert to do all in his power to advance the general welfare of the community. In the time-honored Masonic order he has passed through the circle of Scottish Rite Masonry, having attained to the Thirty-second Degree. He is also a valued member of Aladdin Temple, Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, besides which he holds membership in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He and his family are zealous members of the Methodist Episcopal church, in the various departments of whose work they have been active factors. The three sons of Mr. Whitney were all afforded excellent educational advantages in their youth, having been graduated in the Ohio Wesleyan University, with the degrees of Bachelors of Arts.

~ Since this biography was written, Mr. Whitney died at his home Aug. 20, 1911 - Editor


Children of Amza A.9 and Mary Virginia (Henderson) Whitney:

i. Allen Banks10 Whitney, b. 2 Dec 1877, Mount Vernon, OH; m.(1) Jane S. Kouns, m.(2) Florence N. -----.
ii. Clarence Chester Whitney, b. 2 Mar 1880, Mount Vernon, OH; d. 8 Feb 1948, Kanawha, WV, unmarried.
iii. Horace Warren Whitney, b. 13 Mar 1884, South Bloomfield, OH; d. 11 Jun 1972, Clearwater, FL; m. 23 Nov 1910, Morrow Co., OH, Bertha H. Talmadge; no known children.

Census

A. A. WHITNEY 28 Self M M W OH Clerk In Store OH OH Jennie WHITNEY 27 Wife F M W OH Keeping House MD MD Allen WHITNEY 2 Son M S W OH OH OH Clarence WHITNEY 3M Son M S W OH OH OH

References

  • Census records.

1.^  A. J. Baughman, History of Morrow County, Ohio, Vol. II. (Chicago-New York: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1911), p. 637.


Copyright © 2013, Brad Rockwood Whitney and the Whitney Research Group.