Family:Whitney, Benjamin (1735-1823)
Benjamin6 Whitney Jr. (Benjamin5, Benjamin4, Joseph3, John2, John1), son of Benjamin5 and Rebecca (-----) Whitney, was born 25 Aug 1735, Watertown, MA, was baptized 29 Aug 1736, Watertown, MA, and died 30 Jul 1823, Worcester, MA.
He married, 29 Jan 1765, Newton, MA, Sarah White of Newton.
Benjamin Whitney, Jr., of Worcester, was a farmer. His will was probated Sept. 2, 1823, and his widow, Sarah, was executrix. The only child mentioned in the will was his son, Amos. He held office in Worcester, often being elected at the annual town meetings. In 1789 he was elected on the school committee, and in 1790 surveyor of boards and shingles. 19 Apr 1775, he enlisted in Capt. Benjamin Flagg's company, on the Lexington alarm. The Selectmen of Worcester haveing Laid before the Town (Worc.) a List of Persons liable by Law and which they Judged able and Qualified to serve on Petit Jurors in 1760 the name of Benj Whitney occurs. The Town proceeded to ye Choice of a Constable in ye Room of Josiah Peirce Excused, and Benj Whitney was chosen (and Sworn 10th March 1762), Benj Whitney Surveyor of high ways and Collector of high way taxes -- appointed in 1770 and 1775. At a Town meeting Held at the meeting House, in Worcester on Thurs. the Eighteenth Day of october a D. 1764 after Legal Warning Eight o Clock fore noon -- voted ye following sums be Granted for ye following purposes -- vizt -- To Benj Whitney for Wm Breners Pole Tax -- 1.37. Benj Whitney served as Juror in the Inferior Court of Common pleas and Court of General sessions of the peace in 1776. He resided Worcester, Massachusetts.
Child of Benjamin6 and Sarah (White) Whitney:
i. Amos7 Whitney, b. 31 Dec 1765, Worcester, MA; m.(1) Polly Kingsbury; m.(2) Betsey Parker.
- 1771, Worcester, MA (tax list): Benjamin Whitney, Jr.
- 1790, Worcester, Worcester Co., MA: Benjamin Whitney, 2 males over 16, 2 males 0-15, and 1 female.
- 1800, Worcester, Worcester Co., MA: Benja Whitney Jur, 1 male over 45, 1 male 26-44, 1 male 16-25, and 1 female over 45.
- 1810, Worcester, Worcester Co., MA: Whitney Benja, 1 male over 45, 1 male 26-44, 3 males 16-25, 1 male 0-9, 1 female over 45, and 1 female 16-25.
- 1820, Worcester, Worcester Co., MA: Benja Whitney, 1 male over 45, 1 male 26-44, 1 male 10-15, 1 female over 45, and 1 female 16-25; 1 engaged in agriculture.
- All data imported from Frederick Clifton Pierce, The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635, (Chicago: 1895), pp. 150-151.
1.^ "Benja. Whitney, s. Benja. & Rebeccah Whitney, b. 25 Aug 1735," according to Watertown Records, Comprising the Fourth Book of Town Proceedings and the Second Book of Births, Marriages, and Deaths, from 1738 to 1822 (Watertown, MA: Historical Society, c1903), volume 3, page 106.
2.^ "29 Aug 1736, Benjamin, s. of Benjamin Whitney, bapt.," according to Watertown Records, Comprising East Congregational and Precinct Affairs, 1697 to 1737. Also, Record Book of the Pastors, 1686-1819 (Watertown, MA: Historical Society, 1906), volume 4, page 142.
3.^ "Benjamin [Whitney], Jr., and Sarah White of Newton, [married] Jan. 29, 1765. In Newton," according to Franklin P. Rice, ed., Worcester Births, Marriages and Deaths. (Births 1714-1848; Marriages 1747-1848; Deaths, 1826-1848), Collections of the Worcester Society of Antiquity, vol. 12 (1894).
4.^ "Amos [Whitney], s. Benjamin and Sarah, [born] Dec. 31, 1765," according to Worcester Vital Records.
Copyright © 2006-2008, Robert L. Ward and the Whitney Research Group