Family:Whitney, Billious (1794-1850)
Billious6 Whitney (Enos5, John4, Richard3, John2, Henry1), son of Enos5 and Eunice (Avery) Whitney, was born 15 Jan 1794, Wallingford, CT, was baptized 29 Sep 1799, Northford, CT, and died 25 Jun 1850, Harford, PA. He was buried in Harford Cemetery.
He married, 9 Nov 1818, Jackson, PA, Jane Chase, daughter of Daniel and Catharine (Filbrook) Chase. She was born 11 Jan 1797, Harwick, VT, and died after 1880.
Phoenix says the following:
- "Billious Whitney, b. at Wallingford, Conn., 15 Jan. 1794; bap. at Northford, Conn., 29 Sept. 1799; a carpenter and joiner; married, 9 Nov. 1818, at Jackson, Penn., by Rev. Daniel Chase, Baptist, to Jane Chase, born at Hardwick, Vt., 11 Jan. 1797, dau. of Daniel and Catharine (Filbrook) Chase, of Jackson. They dwelt at Gibson, Penn., four years; at Windsor, N.Y., thirteen years; at Gibson again, seven years; and then moved to Harford, Penn., where he died 25 June 1850, and was buried in Harford Cemetery. She was living at Gibson, in March 1877."
Children of Billious6 and Jane (Chase) Whitney:
i. David Everett7 Whitney, b. 2 Oct 1822, Windsor, NY; m. 18 Sep 1853, Harford, PA, Cordelia Carpenter, dau. of Elias and Polly (Hawley) Carpenter, of Harford, by Rev. Adam Miller, Congregational; a farmer; she was b. 19 Mar 1825, Harford, PA. They dwelt in Harford till 1870; and then settled at Gibson, where they were living in Jan 1875. They have no children. He was mustered, 18 Sept 1862, as capt. of Co. B, 17th Reg., Penn. Cavalry; and was discharged with the same rank, 28 Dec. 1862, for physical disability caused by sickness contracted in the service.
- 1820, Windsor, Broome Co., NY: Bellious Whitney, 1 male 26-44 and 1 female 16-25; 1 engaged in agriculture.
- 1830, Windsor, Broome Co., NY: Billious Whitney, 1 male 30-39, 1 male 5-9, and 1 female 30-39.
- 1840, Jackson, Susquehanna Co., PA: Billious Whitney, 1 male 40-49, 1 male 15-19, and 1 femlae 40-49; 1 engaged in agriculture.
- 1850, Harford, Susquehanna Co., PA:
13 13 Billious Whitney 56 M - Farmer $4000 Conn. Jane " 53 F - Vermont David E. " 28 M - N.Y. Rachel A. Barnes 16 F - Do
666 659 David E. Whitney 37 M - Farmer $5000 $5000 New York Cordelia " 33 F - Penn. Hellen L. Lyon 3 F - Illinois Jane Whitney 63 F - Vermont Henry Wellman 18 M - Farm Laborer Penn. Mary E. Barnes 20 F - Domestic "
101 98 Whitney, D. E. 47 M W Farmer $15000 $3000 New York Male citizen over 21 Adelia 45 F " Keeping house Penna. Helen L. 13 " " At School " Attended school Jane 73 " " Vermont
David E. WHITNEY 57 Self M M W NY Farmer CT VT Cordelia C. WHITNEY 55 Wife F M W PA Keeping House CT MA Jane WHITNEY 83 Moth F W W VT Without Imployment VT VT Hellen WHITNEY 22 Dau F S W IL School Teacher PA PA Frank TOWER 14 Oth M S W PA Farm Laborer PA PA
Apparently they adopted Helen L. Lyon sometime between 1860 and 1870.
218 223 Whitney, David E. Head W M Oct 1823 76 mar 46 New York Connecticut Vermont Farmer, Owns free farm -----, Cordelia Wife W F Mar 1825 75 mar 46 1ch 1liv Pennsylvania Massachusetts Connecticut
- 1910, David and Cordelia not found.
- All data imported from Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 264 and p. 699.
Copyright © 2008, 2009, Robert L. Ward and the Whitney Research Group
- New Haven County, Connecticut
- Northford, New Haven County, Connecticut
- Wallingford, New Haven County, Connecticut
- New York
- Broome County, New York
- Windsor, Broome County, New York
- Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania
- Gibson, Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania
- Jackson, Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania
- Harford, Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania