Family:Whitney, Charles Colby (1846-1913)
Charles Colby8 Whitney (Asa P.7, George W.6, Asa5, Nathan4, Nathaniel3, Benjamin2, John1), son of Asa P.7 and Eunice C. (Kneeland) Whitney, was born 20 Mar 1846, Salmon Falls Village, Rollinsford, NH, and died 13 Jun 1913, St. Paul, MN.
He married first, 29 Nov 1866, Lawrence, MA, Mattie M. Hogle, daughter of John and Eva (Snyder) Hogle. She was born about 19 Mar 1842, Highgate, VT, died 8 Jun 1877, Lawrence, MA, aged 35 years 2 years 20 days, of peritonitis.
He married secondly, 1 May 1879, Bethel, ME, Nellie Adelia Johnson, daughter of Horatio and Sabrina (Kneeland) Johnson. She was born 10 Apr 1859, Chatham, NH, and died 1 Nov 1936, St. Paul, MN.
Charles Colby Whitney moved to Marshall in 1880 from Lawrence, MA. He purchased the News Messenger and later was the state printer for the state of Minnesota. He was a Civil War veteran, and he and Nellie received a pension from the U.S. government. Charles and Nellie are buried in the Marshall Cemetery, Marshall, MN.
He was a printer and newspaper publisher.
Child of Charles Colby8 and Martha M. (Hogle) Whitney:
i. Frank9 Whitney, b. 29 Nov 1870, Lawrence, MA.
Children of Charles Colby8 and Nellie Adelia (Johnson) Whitney:
ii. Joseph Warren Smith9 Whitney, b. 7 Mar 1880, Lawrence, MA [given name omitted]; d. 3 Apr 1941, Lyon Co., MN. iii. Minne Sota Whitney, b. 15 Aug 1884, Lake Marshall, MN; d. 7 Sep 1972, MN; m. 11 Dec 1907, Lyon Co., MN, Fred A. Hills, b. 6 Mar 1872, NY, d. 25 Apr 1958, Hennepin Co., MN. She was bur. Oakland Cemetery, St. Paul, MN. iv. Walter Purcell Whitney, b. ca. 1887, MN. v. Charles C. Whitney, b. 20 Mar 1889, Marshall, MN. vi. Dick Whitney, b. 3 Jul 1890, Marshall, MN, vii. Jack Whitney, b. 5 Apr 1898, St. Paul, MN; m. Ann Christine Hansen.
- 1850: Rollinsford, Strafford, New Hampshire: In parents' family.
- 1860: not found.
- 1870, Lawrence Ward 2, Essex Co., MA:
571 891 Whitney, Charles C. 24 M W Publisher $2000 New Hampshire -----, Martha M. 27 F W Keeping House Vermont Hogle, Lucius E. 25 M W Work in Sewing Mch Shop $2000 "
- 1880: Lawrence, Essex, Massachusetts
- 1880, Lawrence, Essex Co., MA:
Charles WHITNEY 34 Self M M W NH Journalist ME ME Nellie WHITNEY 21 Wife F M W NH Keeping House NH ME Frank WHITNEY 9 Son M S W MA NH NH WHITNEY 3M Son M S W MA NH NH Emma ARNOLD 24 Oth F S W MA Servant VT VT
46 48 Charles C. Whitney Corp. I 6 MA Inf -- --- 1864 -- --- 1864 3m do 1st Sgt D 26 NY Cav -- --- 1864 -- --- 1865 9m Marshall, MN
- 1900, St. Paul, Ramsey Co., MN, and also 1900, Marshall, Lyon Co., MN
- 1910: Marshall Ward 1, Lyon Co., MN
- All data imported from Frederick Clifton Pierce, The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635, (Chicago: 1895), p. 580.
- Moulton, Alphonso, Howard L. Sampson, and Granville Fernald, comps. and eds., Centennial History of Harrison, Maine: Containing The Centennial Celebration of 1905, and Historical and Biographical Matter (Portland: Southworth Printing Company, 1909), p. 537.
Unattached MA Infantry & Co. D, 26th New York Cavalry
Nellie A. Whitney, Widow
Invalid Application # 1339398, Certificate # 1124385
Widow Application # 1012812, Certificate # 774856
The National Archives Building, Washington, D.C.
- The Ancestry and Genealogy of the Whitney Family, by Asa P. Whitney
- Minnesota, Births and Christenings Index, 1840-1980; Ancestry.com