Family:Whitney, Edgar (1818-1904)
Edgar8 Whitney (Luther7, Samuel6, Joseph5, Timothy4, John3, John2, John1), son of Luther7 and Betsey (Dart) Whitney, was born 25 Jun 1818, Gilsum, NH, and died 1 Jan 1904, Lawrenceville, NY. He was buried in Hillcrest Cemetery, Lawrenceville, NY.
He married firstly, 1 Jul 1839, Maria Rachel Shepard, daughter of Heman and Loret Rockwell Shepard. She was born 1820, VT, and died 11 Jul 1850, Lawrenceville, NY. She was buried in Hillcrest Cemetery, Lawrenceville, NY.
He married secondly, 2 Nov 1853, Sarah E. (Church) Craig. She was born 13 Apr 1831, died 20 Mar 1913, and was buried in the Ogdensburg (NY) City Cemetery next to first husband William Craig.
He resided Ogdensburg and Lawrenceville, NY, and Ottawa, ON. Returning to Lawrenceville, NY.
Children of Edgar8 and Maria Rachel (Shepard) Whitney:
i. H. Eugene Whitney, b. ca. May 1845; d. 8 Jan 1848, aged 2 years 8 months; bur. Hillcrest Cemetery, Lawrenceville, NY. ii. Helen M. Whitney, b. May 1844; m. 1865, Martin V. Barney, d. 1878, buried Hill Crest Cemetery; resided Lawrence, NY. Children: a. Leon Barney, b. ca. 1865; m. Ella Patten, Lawrenceville, NY. b. Lillie Barney, b. ca. 1867. iii. Lorett S. Whitney, b. 4 Mar 1847; d. 10 Mar 1848, aged 1 year 6 days; bur. Hillcrest Cemetery, Lawrenceville, NY. iv. Luther H. Whitney, b. 23 Sep 1849; m. Florence May Gibeaut.
Children of Edgar8 and Sarah E. (Church) Craig Whitney:
i. Harvey C. Whitney, b. 17 Jun 1857; not found in 1880 or 1900 Censuses.
- 1840: not found. Probably living with his father.
- 1850, Lawrence, St. Lawrence Co., NY:
636 650 Edgar Whitney 33 M - Cabinet Business $1500 N.H. Maria R. " 30 F - Vt. Helen M. " 5 F - N.Y. Attended school Luther W. " 8/12 M - "
- 1860: not found. Possibly he was living in Canada at that time.
- 1870, Lawrence, St. Lawrence Co., NY:
271 278 Whitney, E. 52 M W Dry Goods Merchant $200 $4000 New Hampshire Male citizen over 21 Sarah E. 41 F " Keeping House New York Harvey C. 12 M " Canada Attended school Patten, Mary 25 F " Domestic Servant Vermont
Edgar WHITNEY 61 Self M M W NH Retired Merchant NH VT Sarah E. WHITNEY 50 Wife F M W NY Keeping House NY NY
24 24 Whitney, Edgar Head W M Jun 1818 81 mar 46 New Hampshire New Hampshire Vermont Rents house -----, Sarah E. Wife W F Apr 1830 70 mar 46 3ch 2liv New York Connecticut New York
- Census records.
- All data imported from Frederick Clifton Pierce, The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635, (Chicago: 1895), p. 431.
- Craig, Sarah E. (Church) - Find A Grave Memorial
- Whitney, Edgar - Find A Grave Memorial
- Whitney, H Eugene - Find A Grave Memorial
- Whitney, Lorett S. - Find A Grave Memorial
- Whitney, Maria Rachel (Shepard) - Find A Grave Memorial