Family:Whitney, Ephraim B. (1819-1901)
Ephraim B.7 Whitney (Joseph6, Nathan5, Nathan4, Nathaniel3, Benjamin2, John1), son of Joseph6 and Mary C. (Libby) Whitney, was born 2 Apr 1819 or 3 Apr 1819, Jonesboro, ME, and died 8 Oct 1901, Clearwater, Wright Co., MN. He was buried in Fairhaven Cemetery, Fairhaven, MN.
He "of Beddington" married firstly, 9 or 19 Jul 1848, Beddington, ME, Elizabeth Maria Wakefield "of Cherryfield", daughter of Nathan Godfrey and Phebe Ann (Noyes) Wakefield. She was born 24 Mar 1831, Cherryfield, ME, and died 31 Aug 1870, Clearwater, MN. She was buried in Fairhaven Cemetery, Fairhaven, MN.
He married secondly, after 1885, Elizabeth (Sohier) Bodenham, daughter of probably Peter Sohier. She was born Mar 1813, St. Brelades, Jersey, Channel Islands, England, and died 7 Nov 1900, Wright Co., MN. She had married firstly, before 1851, Thomas Bodenham. They came to America between 1851 and 1857, settling in Scott and Douglas Counties, MN.
Excerpts from obituary, St. Cloud Journal Press, St. Cloud, Minnesota. Thursday October 10, 1901. Page 1.
- DEATH OF A PIONEER.
- Ephriam B. Whitney of Clearwater is Gathered to His Fathers.
- WAS FATHER OF A.G. WHITNEY.
- Born in Maine, He Had Lived in Minn. Since 1856 --- Burial at Fair Haven
- Mrs. Whitney died in August, 1870, and her remains are buried at Fair Haven. Ephriam B. Whitney passed peacefully away at his farm home three miles south of Clearwater at 3:30 o'clock Tuesday morning. The funeral services was held Wednesday afternoon from the farm residence and the interment was made in the family lot at the Fair Haven cemetery.
Children of Ephraim B.7 and Elizabeth Maria (Wakefield) Whitney:
i. Mary Alice8 Whitney, b. ca. 1853, MN. ii. Ollie Whitney, b. ca. 1854, MN. iii. George Haskell Whitney, b. 16 Nov 1856, Brooklyn, Hennepin Co., MN. From Minnesota Historical Society Collections; Vol. XIV, 1912, page 852:
- "Whitney, G. H., b. in Brooklyn, Minn., Nov., 1856; worked in a mill 2 years, and afterward, engaged with his brother in insurance business in Sauk Center."
In 1860 he resided in Crystal Lake, Hennepin Co., MN, and in the spring of 1872 he settled in Farmington, MN.
iv. Phebe Ann Whitney, b. ca. 1857, MN. v. Albert Gideon Whitney, b. 14 Mar 1860, Robinsdale, MN; m. Alice Maria Wheelock.
28 28 Ephraim Whitney 31 M - Farmer $650 Maine Elisabeth " 19 F - " Attended school
- 1857 Territorial, Town 118, Range 21, Hennepin Co., MN Terr.:
29 29 Ephram Whitney 38 M - Maine Native voter Elizebeth " 26 F - " Olive " 4 F - Minn. George H. " 2 M - " George Granda 21 M - Maine Native voter
1105 1029 E. Whitney 41 M Farmer 2000 200 Maine Elizabeth Whitney 29 F Maine Mary A. Whitney 7 F Minn. Geo. H. Whitney 5 M Minn. Phoeba A. Whitney 3 F Minn. Albert G. Whitney 8/12 M Minn.
66 66 Whitney, Ephraim 51 M W Farmer 1200 545 Maine Elizabeth 39 F W Keeping House Maine Allice M. 16 F W At Home Minnesota att. school Geo. H. 14 M W " " Minnesota " " Annie P. 12 F W " " Minnesota " " Albert G. 10 M W " " Minnesota " " Leme, Peter A. 16 M W " " Canada " " , father & mother of foreign birth
Thos. T. TOLLINGTON 47 Self M M W ENG Cabinet Manufacturer ENG ENG Sarah J. TOLLINGTON 40 Wife F M W PA Keeping House NY PA Jennie A. TOLLINGTON 20 Dau F S W MN Music Teacher ENG PA Gilbert TOLLINGTON 18 Son M S W MN Cabinet Maker ENG PA Willis G. BUTLER 45 Oth M S W VT Lawyer VT VT Ephraim B. WHITNEY 58 Oth M W W MA Mail Carrier RI RI
This seems to be the correct person, despite saying he was born in Massachusetts, not Maine, and his parents in Rhode Island, not Maine.
- 1880, son George not found.
- 1895 State, Clearwater, Wright Co., MN, p. 14:
17 Whitney, Ephram B. 75 M W Maine 32 -- 21 11/12 Farmer 6 -- No No Whitney, Elisebeth 83 F W England 32 -- 14 5/12 12 -- Yes Yes
118 118 Whitney, Ephraim Head W M Apr 1820 80 mar 45 Maine Maine Maine Retired, Owns free house -----, Elizabeth Wife W F Mar 1813 87 mar 45 0ch 0liv England France France