Family:Whitney, Ethiel (1803-1874)
Ethiel7 Whitney (James6, Samuel5, Samuel4, Nathaniel3, John2, John1), son of James6 and Eunice (Johnson) Whitney, was born 6 May 1796, Newtown, CT, and died 22 Dec 1874, Nelson, MI, aged 79 years 9 months 14 days, of consumption. He is buried in Elmwood Cemetery, Cedar Springs, MI.
He married, 29 Mar 1823, Hector, NY, Elizabeth Leonard, daughter of Benjamin and Effie (Berget) Leonard. She was born 23 Dec 1803, Davenport, NY, and died 25 Nov 1884, aged 81 years. She is buried in Elmwood Cemetery, Cedar Springs, MI.
His gravestone gives his name as "Eathiel".
He was a farmer and blacksmith; in his later years became blind; was a soldier in the war of 1812; resided Covert, NY and Plainfield, MI.
Phoenix says the following:
- "Ethiel Whitney, b. in Newtown, Conn., 6 May 1796, his name on the town-record being Eathel, while the most common form given by his family is Eathiel; a blacksmith and farmer; went, at eighteen years of age, to live in Southbury, Conn.; thence, in 1819, to Hector, N.Y., where he married, 29 March 1823, Elizabeth Leonard, who was born in "Charlotte," probably a former local name for some part of Davenport, N.Y., 23 Dec. 1803, dau. of Benjamin and Effie (Berget) Leonard. They lived in Covert, N.Y., in 1824; moved across the lake to Genoa, early in 1825; thence, in 1826, to Danby, N.Y.; and, in 1832, to Spencer, N.Y., where they lived till 1837. They then moved to Cannon, Mich., which was their home till 1865, when, having become nearly blind and quite deaf, he gave up business, and lived with his son, Zerah Whitney, in Plainfield, Mich., where they were living in Oct 1873. He served in the war of 1812."
Children of Ethiel7 and Elizabeth (Leonard) Whitney:
i. Mindrus Hemrod8 Whitney, b. 1 Jan 1824, Covert, NY; m. Harriett Adelaide Watson. ii. Zerah Whitney, b. 12 Mar 1825, Genoa, NY; m. 5 Feb 1851, Cannon, MI, Ellen Janet Moffatt; resided Plainfield, MI. iii. Chauncey Lambert Whitney, b. 8 Oct 1826, Danby, NY; d. 8 May 1832, Spencer, NY. iv. Elizabeth Jane Whitney, b. 26 Jul 1829, Danby, NY; d. 1 Aug 1832, Spencer, NY. v. Hermon Eastman Whitney, b. 7 Dec 1830, Danby, NY; m. Lydia Ann Moffatt. vi. Emeline Whitney, b. 12 Jan 1838, Cannon, MI; m. 14 Nov 1855, Cannon, MI, Charles Roswell Hine, son of Demas and Sally (Noble) Hine, b. 12 Nov 1832, Deposit, NY; a druggist; resided Lowell, MI. They settled at Cannon; moved thence, Aug 1859, to Plainfield, MI, and from there, May 1862, to Lowell, MI, where they were living in 1873--he being then a director of the Lowell National Bank, and supervisor of the town.
- 1830, Danby, Tompkins Co., NY: Ethel Whitney, 1 male 30-39, 2 males 5-9, 1 male 0-4, 1 female 20-29, and 1 female 0-4.
- 1840, Avon, Kent Co., MI: Eather Whitney, 1 male 30-39, 1 male 10-14, 1 male 5-9, 1 male 0-4, 1 female 30-39, and 1 female 0-4; 3 engaged in agriculture.
- 1850, Cannon, Kent Co., MI:
1636 1636 Ethiel Whitney 54 M - Far. $1200 Ct. Elizabeth " 42 F - N.Y. Emeline " 12 F - Mich. Attended school
1020 923 Ethel Whitney 63 M - Farmer $2600 $700 Connecticut Betsey " 56 F - New York Hermon E. " 29 M - Carpenter & Joiner $400 " Lydia A. Whitney 25 F - New York Clarence " 3 M - Michigan Effie D. " 1 F - " Sarah Chilson 19 F - New York
123 126 Whitney, Zerah 44 M W Farmer $4000 $700 New York Male citizen over 21 -----, Ellen 39 F W Keeping house New York Father foreign born -----, Emma 11 F W At School Michigan Attended school -----, Charlie 9/12 M W Michigan Born in Aug -----, Ethel 74 M W Farmer Connecticut Male citizen over 21 -----, Elizabeth 66 F W New York
Henry WHITNEY 32 Self M M W NY Farmer NY NY Jennie WHITNEY 31 Wife F M W MI Keeps House NY NY Lela WHITNEY 1 Dau F S W MI NY NY M. H. WHITNEY 56 Fath M M W MI Lives With Son NY NY Harriet A. WHITNEY 56 Moth F M W OH Lives With Son OH OH Lewis LARD 27 Oth M S W OH Laborer OH PA Jennie SMITH 17 Oth F S W MI Servant OH OH Elizabeth WHITNEY 76 GMot F W W MI Lives With Family OH OH
- All data imported from Frederick Clifton Pierce, The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635, (Chicago: 1895), p. 280.
- Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 281; and pp. 741-742.
Date of death: 22-Dec-1874 Ledger Page: 100 Record Number: 2610 Place of death: Nelson County of Death: Kent Sex: Male Race: White Marital Status: Married Age: 79 years 9 months 14 days Cause of Death: Consumption Birthplace: Connecticut Occupation: Blacksmith Father's Name: Notgiven, Father's Residence: Not Given Mother's Name: Notgiven, Mother's Residence: Not Given Date of record: 1-Jun-1875