Family:Whitney, Henry Clay (1831-1905)
Hon. Henry Clay8 Whitney (Alfred M.7, Samuel6, Asa5, Nathan4, Nathaniel3, Benjamin2, John1), son of Alfred M.7 and Lucinda (Ring) Whitney, was born 23 Feb 1831, Detroit, ME, and died 27 Feb 1905, Danvers, MA, aged 74 years, of broncho-pneumonia. He was buried 2 Mar 1905 in Rosehill Cemetery and Mausoleum, Chicago, IL.
He married, 5 Aug 1857, Urbana, IL, Sarah Anna Snyder. She was born 21 Dec 1841, PA, and died 17 Apr 1913, Berwyn, IL.
Henry was a veteran of the Civil War, and he and Sarah received pensions as a result of his service.
He attended Augusta college, Kentucky, and Farmer's college, Ohio. At the latter his classmates were President Harrison, Bishop Nalden (Methodist), and Murat Halstead. He attended the Cincinnati Law college and Chicago Law school (at its first session). He read law at Cincinnati with Jolliffe & Getchell. President Hayes had his headquarters there. Was admitted to the bar in Carroll County, VA, in 1853; commenced to practice in Urbana, IL, in June, 1854; was attorney for Illinois Central Rail Road from 1855 to 1861; was paymaster U. S. A. throughout the war; was state senator in Kansas from 16th dist., embracing Allen, Woodston, Neosho, Labette, Wilson, Montgomery and Howard. Was a candidate for the U. S. senate when Caldwell was elected. Is a Methodist in religion and Republican in politics; has been a Free Mason since 1855, first of Urbana lodge, then of Western Star lodge, both in Illinois; then of Acacia lodge in Lawrence, Kansas, and next of Cleveland lodge, Illinois. Lived in Chicago from 1854 to 1862, then from 1873 till the present. He still lives there, but is temporarily in Beachmont, MA; resided Urbana, IL, 141 So. Western Ave., Chicago, IL, and Boston, MA.
Children of Henry Clay8 and Sarah Anna (Snyder) Whitney:
i. Henry Strong9 Whitney, b. 1 Sep 1858; m. Harriett J. Hambrook. ii. Anna Mary "Minnie" Whitney, b. 7 Jan 1861, IL; d. 1911, Volusia Co., FL; m. 24 Nov 1885, Cook Co., IL, Charles B. Pelton; res. Lake Helen, FL. He was b. 27 Jun 1858, CT, d. 1924, Volusia Co., FL. Children: a. Jessie Strong Pelton, b. 23 Oct 1886, Lake Helen, Volusia County, FL. b. Henry Whitney Pelton, b. 7 Jan 1889, Lake Helen, FL. c. Anna Hattie Pelton, b. 6 Nov 1890, Lake Helen, FL; d. 27 Oct 1891. iii. Lucinda Aseneth Whitney, b. 18 Sep 1864, OH; m. 27 Nov 1884, Chicago, IL, William Wallace Walker, b. 26 May 1861, Roxbury, MA, d. 8 Jul 1940; resided Beachmont, MA. iv. Carrie Lizzie Whitney, b. 19 Sep 1866; d. 5 Mar 1867. v. Frank Alfred Whitney, b. 10 Mar 1868, Topeka, KS; resided Chicago; lawyer; m. Louise Florence "Mamie" -----; d. 1 Apr 1951, Fort Myers, FL; bur. Fort Myers Cemetery, Fort Myers, FL. vi. Sarah Carrie Whitney, b. 10 Sep 1870; d. 21 Aug 1884, Revere, MA, aged 13 years 11 months 3 days, of remittent fever. vii. Harriett Strong Whitney, b. 1 Jul 1874, Chicago, IL; m. 23 Mar 1898, Revere, MA, Rupert Edward McLatchey, b. 19 Oct 1867, Grand Pie, NS, son of Edward and Sophia (Borden) McLatchey; resided Beachmont, MA. viii. Jessie Ring Whitney, b. 23 Mar 1881, Chicago, IL; d. 26 Dec 1881, Chicago, IL.
- 1860: not found. Should be in IL.
- 1870, Humboldt, Allen Co., KS:
149 153 Henry C. Whitney 39 M W Lawyer $25000 $6500 Maine Male citizen over 21 -----, S. Anna 29 F W Keeping house Pennsylvania -----, Henry C. 12 M W Going to school Illinois Attended school -----, Minnie 10 F W " Illinois Attended school -----, Lucy 6 F W Ohio -----, Frank 2 M W At home Kansas Dolley, Mary 18 F W Servant Ohio Motley, Noah 19 M M Servant Arkansas Snider, Acenith H. 57 F W Living with children $2000 Conn.
Henry C. WHITNEY 47 Self M M W ME Lawyer ME ME Anna WHITNEY 37 Wife F M W PA Keeping House PA NY Minnie WHITNEY 18 Dau F S W IL At School ME PA Lucy WHITNEY 16 Dau F S W IL ME PA Frank WHITNEY 12 Son M S W KS ME PA Sally WHITNEY 8 Dau F S W KS ME PA Hattie WHITNEY 5 Dau F S W IL ME PA
139 157 Whitney, Henry C. Head W M Feb 1831 69 mar 42 Maine Maine New Hampshire Lawyer, Rents house -----, Sarah A. Wife W F Dec 1841 58 mar 42 8ch 5liv Pennsylvania New York Connecticut
See also Mr. Lincoln and Friends.
- Census records.
- All data imported from Frederick Clifton Pierce, The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635, (Chicago: 1895), p. 580.
1.^ "Massachusetts Vital Records, 1841–1910," from original records held by the Massachusetts Archives. Online database: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2004; volume 1905/34 (death), page 534, and volume 1905/79, page 28.
2. ^ . From the Civil War Pension File of Henry C. Whitney: Widow: Sarah A. Whitney; Invalid Application # 1014847, Certificate # 671293; Widow Application # 828770, Certificate # 595987; Major & Additional Paymaster, U. S. Volunteers.
3. Massachusetts, Death Records, 1841-1915; Ancestry.com
4. Illinois Marriages, 1851-1900; Ancestry.com
5. Cook Co., IL, Deaths Index, 1878-1922; Ancestry.com
6. Cook Co., IL, Marriages Index, 1871-1920; Ancestry.com
7. Florida Death Index, 1877-1998; Ancestry.com
8. Massachusetts, Mason Membership Cards, 1733-1990; Ancestry.com
9. Obituary, Fort Myers News-Press, 2 Apr 1951.
10. Massachusetts, Marriage Records, 1840-1915; Ancestry.com
11. U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925; Ancestry.com
12. U.S. Naturalization Record Indexes, 1795-1995; Ancestry.com
13. Chicago, IL Deaths Index, 1878-1922; Ancestry.com