Family:Whitney, James (s1762-a1802)
James Whitney, parentage unproven. He may be the same as James5 Whitney (Isaac4, Nathaniel3, Benjamin2, John1), whose existence is stated by McLellan's History of Gorham, Maine. He was born say 1762, and died after 1802, and apparently before 1810.
He married, 15 Aug 1785, Gorham, ME, Deborah Murch, daughter of Samuel and Deborah (Amory) Murch. She was born 25 Sep 1763, Gorham, ME, and died 27 Aug 1845, Cumberland, Maine, aged 81 years. Deborah is buried in the cemetery behind the West Cumberland Methodist Church, West Cumberland, ME, in an unmarked grave, probably with her son, Benjamin, and his family.
In March 3, 1824, Deborah, Humphrey, Alexander, James, Benjamin, Percy and Phineas Whitney together bought land in Cumberland, Maine, on from Amni R. Whitney for $84 (Portland Land Records).
Children of James and Deborah (Murch) Whitney:
i. Humphrey Whitney, b. 26 Apr 1786, Gorham, ME; m. Sally Pride. FindAGrave Memorial 86466533. ii. Alexander Whitney, b. Mar 1788, Gorham, ME; m. Barbara Winslow. FindAGrave Memorial 86466472. iii. James Whitney, b. Jun 1790, Gorham, ME; m. Lucy Mountfort. FindAGrave Memorial 86466541. iv. Benjamin Whitney, b. ca. 1792; m. Patience Bracket Lunt. FindAGrave Memorial 97249572. v. Perez Whitney, b. 2 May 1795; m. Mary Newcomb. FindAGrave Memorial 86466577. vi. Phineas Whitney, b. ca. Dec 1797; m.(1) Rebecca Haskell; m.(2) Elizabeth Haskell. FindAGrave Memorial 86466583. vii. Ammi Ruhamah Whitney, b. 7 Dec 1802, d. 14 Dec 1851, m. Hannah Hall. FindAGrave Memorial 118355516.
- 1790, Gorham, Cumberland Co., ME: Jas Whitney, 1 male over 16, 3 males 0-15, and 1 female.
- 1800, North Yarmouth, Cumberland Co., ME: James Whitney, 1 male 26-44, 2 males 10-15, 4 males 0-9, and 1 female 26-44.
- 1810, North Yarmouth, Cumberland Co., ME: Deborah Whitney, 1 female over 45, 4 males 16-26, 1 male 10-16, 2 males under 10.
- 1820, North Yarmouth, Cumberland Co., ME: Whitney, Deborough, 3 males 18-25, 1 male 16-17, 1 female over 45, and 1 female 16-25.
- Hill, George T., History, Records, and Recollections of Gray, Maine. n.p.: n.pub., 1978.
- Sweetser, Philip Starr, Seth Sweetser and His Descendants. n.p.: n.pub., 1938.
1.^ "James [Whitney] and Deborah Murch, [married] Aug. 15, 1785," according to Marquis Fayette King, comp., Publishments, marriages, births and deaths from the earlier records of Gorham, Maine (Portland, ME: Maine Genealogical Society, 1897).
2.^ "Humphrey [Whitney], s. James and Deborah, [born] Apr. 26, 1786," according to Marquis Fayette King, comp., Publishments, marriages, births and deaths from the earlier records of Gorham, Maine (Portland, ME: Maine Genealogical Society, 1897).