Family:Whitney, John (1780-1838)
John Whitney, parentage unknown, was born 22 Jan 1780, NY, and died 6 Mar 1838, Alden, NY. He was buried in Alden Evergreen Cemetery, Alden, NY.
He married 29 Jan 1805, Onondaga Co., NY, Rebecca Blodgett, daughter of Benjamin, Jr., and Hannah (Wakefield) Blodgett. She was born 22 Nov 1785, Whitingham, VT, and died 1 Oct 1877, Lake Mills, WI, aged 91 years. She was buried in Rock Lake Cemetery, Lake Mills, WI.
Administration on his estate was granted 26 Apr 1838, Erie Co., NY, to Rebecca Whitney and William B. Whitney.
On 19 Nov 1812 to 3 Dec 1812 he was paid $3.33 as a Private in Capt. Elisha Kellogg's company, Brigadier General Smythe's regiment.
On 1 May 1858, Isaac Atwood petitioned the Probate Court of Jefferson Co., WI:
- "The Petition of Isaac Atwood who is of the aged on twenty-one years and upwards, of the County of Jefferson respectively shows:
- "That John Whitney late of Alden in County of Erie, New York departed this life in said Alden State of New York on March 6th 1838 the sixth day of March in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and thirty eight.
- "That there are no existing debts or claims against said Estate as your petitioner verily believes. That by the Laws of the State of New York said deceased is entitled to his pay for his clothing and contingent expenses as a soldier in the War of 1812 so called, from said State of New York; and for this purpose of obtaining said it is necessary that Administration thereon be granted unto some suitable person.
- "That said deceased was, at and immediately previous to his death and inhabitant of said County of Erie.
- "Your petitioner further shews that the names and residence of the heirs at law of said deceased, and other persons interested in his estate are as follows:
- "Rebecca Whitney widow of the late John Whitney now residing in Lame Mills Jefferson County Wisconsin.
- "Samuel Whitney supposed to be in California.
- "John Whitney residing in Cowlsville State of New York.
- "Libeus F. Whitney Lake Mills Jeff. Co. Wisconsin.
- "Julian Atwood formerly Whitney in said Lake Mills.
- "O. D. Whitney in said Lake Mills.
- "Your petitioner therefore prays that special letters of administration of said estate may be granted to your Petitioner for the purpose of receiving said money and that such other and further order and proceedings may be had in the premises as may be required by the statutes in each case made and provided.
- "Dated at Lake Mills this first day of May A.D. 1858.
- "[Signed] Isaac Atwood."
- On 1 May 1858 Isaac Atwood posted bond of $200 as special administrator, and administration was granted 28 Jun 1858.
He was allowed $38.50 for military equipment, from Jefferson Co., WI. He was pensioned as a soldier in the War of 1812.
Children of John and Rebecca (Blodgett) Whitney:
i. Samuel Wix Whitney, b. 27 Oct 1805, Onondaga, NY; m. Loranda B. Jones. ii. Eliza Ann Whitney, b. said 26 Jun 1811, Elba, NY; d. 18 Feb 1840, said Alden, NY, aged 30 years 9 months 11 days [birthdate computes as 7 May 1809--RLW]; bur. Old Second Street Cemetery, Elmira, NY; m. 3 Feb 1829, Erie Co., NY, James Nelson Crane. iii. William Benonia Whitney, b. ca. 1813, Elba, NY; m. Abigail Merrick. iv. John Whitney, b. 9 Jul 1814, Genesee Co., NY; m. Lydia Lavinia (Jones) Lewis. v. Malinda Whitney, b. ca. 1814; d. 3 Sep 1836, Batavia, NY; m. John Blair. vi. Philander Whitney, b. ca. 1816; d. 26 Feb 1843, Alden, NY, aged 26 years; bur. Alden Evergreen Cemetery, Alden, NY. vii. Caroline H. Whitney, b. 1818; d. 10 May 1840; bur. Alden Evergreen Cemetery, Alden, NY. viii. Libbeus F. Whitney, b. 18 Aug 1820, Elba, NY; m. Ruth Lorette Cleveland. ix. Rebecca Whitney, b. ca. 1822; d. 13 Jul 1838, aged 16 years; bur. Alden Evergreen Cemetery, Alden, NY. x. Julia Anna Whitney, b. 27 Oct 1822, Elba, NY; d. 12 July 1873, Lake Mills, WI; bur. Rock Lake Cemetery, Lake Mills, WI; m.(1) bef. 1850, ----- Rowley; m.(2) 1 Jan 1851, Jackson Co., WI, Isaac Atwood. xi. Polly Whitney, b. 7 Dec 1824, Elba, NY; d. 12 Mar 1898, Haven, KS; m. 12 Dec 1844, Menard Co., IL, Jacob Slusser. Alternatively, she may have d. bef. 1858. xii. Oscar Dunrath Abby Whitney, b. 2 May 1826, Elba, NY; m.(1) Louisa McArthur; m.(2) Anna Maria Jennings.
- 1810, Batavia, Genesee Co., NY: John Witney, 1 male 26-44, 1 male 0-9, 1 female 16-25, and 3 females 0-9.
- 1820, Elba, Genesee Co., NY: John Whitney, 1 male 26-44, 1 male 10-15, 3 males 0-9, 1 female 26-44, 1 female 16-25, 2 females 10-15, and 1 female 0-9.
- 1830, Elba, Genesee Co., NY: John Whitney, 1 male 50-59, 1 male 10-14, 1 male 5-9, 1 male 0-4, 1 female 40-49, 1 female 20-29, 1 female 10-14, and 2 females 5-9.
- 1840, Alden, Erie Co., NY: Philander Whitney, 2 males 20-29, 1 male 15-19, 1 male 10-14, 1 female 30-39, and 1 female 0-4; 3 engaged in agriculture.
- 1850, Lake Mills, Jefferson Co., WI:
846 860 Oscar Whitney 24 M - Farmer $300 New York Louisa " 23 F - " Adilphia " 2 F - Wisconsin Rebecca " 64 F - Vermont Julia A. Rowley 26 F - New York
1621 1613 E. F. Whitney 40 M - Farmer $1000 $300 N.Y. Ruth L. " 39 F - " Oscar P. " 16 M - Farm hand " Attended school Rebecca P. " 74 F - Vt. Ellen Peterson 16 F - Servant Norway Attended school Harriet Cleveland 8 " - N.Y. Attended school
[ ] [ ] Attwood, Julia 46 F W Keeps House $800 $500 New York Saville 16 M W At Home Wisconsin Attended school Clara 10 F W Wisconsin Attended school Florence 8 F W Wisconsin Attended school John 3 M W Wisconsin Whitney, Theressa 18 F W Domestic Wisconsin
5.^ Jefferson County (Wis.) Probate Files (Ca. 1846-1930) and Indexes, from Ancestry.com.