Family:Whitney, John (1800-1863)
John7 Whitney (John6, (poss.) John5, (poss.) Samuel4, John3, Benjamin2, John1), son of Rev. John6 and Lois (Wadsworth) Whitney, was born 30 Apr 1800, ME, or Mar 1799, Leeds, ME, and died May 1862, Haws Creek, Volusia Co., Florida.
He "of Leeds" married firstly, 5 Aug 1823, Greene, Androscoggin Co., ME, Patience Bailey "of Greene", daughter of Joseph and Patience (Holmes) Bailey. She was born 13 May 1800, Greene, ME, and died 4 Jul 1887, Lewiston, ME. If this is the same John Whitney, there must have been a divorce. She is buried in the Morse Cemetery, Morse Cemetery Road, Greene, ME, near her parents and brother Holmes Bailey.
He married secondly, 20 Jan 1845, Harpswell, ME, Mahala Clark, daughter of Lucinda Clark of Harpswell, ME. She was born 20 Aug 1826, Cumberland Co., ME, and died 2 Jun 1858, Bunnell, Flagler Co., FL.
He married thirdly, 24 Sep 1858, St. Augustine, FL, Ellen (Singletary) Teller. She was born about 1822, SC, and died after 1860.
Children of John7 and Patience (Bailey) Whitney, if any, unknown.
Children of John7 and Mahala (Clark) Whitney:
i. John8 Whitney, b. 26 Nov 1845, at sea off South Carolina; m. Julia Lorretta (Pettit) Wright. ii. Samuel Clark Whitney, b. 19 Aug 1847, Picolata, St. Johns, FL; d. 12 Jul 1867, Palatka, Putnam Co., FL. iii. Joseph Whitney, b. 20 Nov 1848, Picolata, St. Johns Co., FL; m. Lucinda Clifton. iv. Harmon Whitney, b. 15 Jun 1850, St. Augustine, FL; d. 14 Nov 1852, Bunnell, FL. v. Sedate Whitney, b. 21 Sep 1851, Bunnell, FL; d. 27 Dec 1851, Bunnell, FL. vi. Mahala Whitney, b. 25 Dec 1852, Bunnell, FL; d. 14 Sep 1857, Bunnell, FL. vii. Arbitty Whitney, b. 26 Oct 1854, Bunnell, FL; d. 3 Nov 1854, Bunnell, FL. viii. Harmon Whitney, b. 4 Oct 1855, Bunnell, FL; d. 25 Jul 1857, Bunnell, FL. ix. Sedate Whitney, b. 4 Oct 1855, Bunnell, FL; d. 25 Jul 1856, Bunnell, FL. x. Harmon Whitney, b. 8 Oct 1857, Bunnell, FL; d. 6 Jun 1864, St. Johns Co., FL.
Patience Bailey was a descendant of "Mayflower" pilgrims Richard Warren, Francis Cooke, Stephen Hopkins, and William Brewster, as follows:
- Richard Warren, m. Elizabeth Walker
- Mary Warren, m. Robert Bartlett
- Joseph Bartlett, m. Hannah Pope
- Robert Bartlett, m. Sarah Cooke [see below]
- Elizabeth Bartlett, m. Thomas Sears [see below]
- Chloe Sears, m. Nathaniel Holmes
- Patience Holmes, m. Joseph Bailey
- Patience Bailey, m. John Whitney
- Francis Cooke, m. Hester Mahieu
- Jacob Cooke, m. Damaris Hopkins [see below]
- Sarah Cooke, m. Robert Bartlett [see above]
- Stephen Hopkins, m. Mary -----
- Damaris Hopkins, m. Jacob Cooke [see above]
- William Brewster, m. Mary -----
- Patience Brewster, m. Thomas Prence
- Mercy Prence, m. John Freeman
- Thomas Freeman, m. Rebecca Sparrow
- Mercy Freeman, m. Paul Sears
- Thomas Sears, m. Elizabeth Bartlett [see above]
174 189 John Whitney 50 M Carpenter ME Mrs. " 28 F " John " 5 M FL Master " 4 M FL " " 2 M FL
Note: It appears that this census enumerator listed young boys in this area as "Master" and were not specifically named.
647 718 Frances Jones 80 F - $500 Maine Patience Whitny 50 " - "
147 147 John Whitney 60 M - Farmer 200 150 Maine Hellen " 38 F - S.C. John " 14 M - " Attended school Samuel C. " 13 " - Fla. Attended school Joseph " 12 " - " Attended school Harmon " 3 " - "
390 420 Patience Whitney 60 F - Maine
- 1870: not found.
- 1870, son Joseph not found.
- 1870, Brunswick, Cumberland Co., ME:
178 185 Whitney, Patience 70 F W Keeping House $800 $200 Maine
Patience WHITNEY 80 Self F W W ME Keeping House MA MA
- L.D.S. Pedigree Resource File.
- Census records.
1.^ Walter Lindley Mower, Sesquicentennial History of the Town of Greene, Androscoggin County, Maine 1775 to 1900 with some matter extending to a later date (1938), pp. 382-383.