Family:Whitney, John Franklin (c1815-1888)
John Franklin Whitney (James), was born about 1815, Vermont, and died 23 May 1888, Minnesota.
He married Sarah Nokes, daughter of Jacob and Mary (Fuller) Nokes. She was born Swanton, Vermont.
In the book, The History of Menard and Mason Counties, Illinois... (Chicago: O.L. Baskin & Co., 1879), p. 343, Village of Athens in Village Incorporated section. It mentions that 7 Mar 1859 John F. Whitney was elected as Constable.
Couldn't find John F. and family in the 1870 Census.
On 23 Feb 1892 a land patent was issued to the heirs of John F. Whitney. The Land Entry Files had the following information: The Homestead application was entered by John F. Whitney on 3 Dec 1886 for land found in Section 25 Township 43 of Range 32. At that time John F. Whitney lived in Fort Ripley, MN, solemnly swore that he was a widower over 21 years of age, a native born citizen of the United States. On 5 Jun 1891 Jacob N. Whitney filed for the final certificate for the heirs of John F. Whitney. In this section, Jacob N. Whitney swears that he and his father John F. are native born citizens of the United States and that his father lived on the land from Feb 1885 until 1 May 1888 at the time of his death. He, Jacob N. has resided on the land since 1 May 1888. In the Homestead Proof: Testimony of Claimant Jacob states that he is 49 years old living in Ft. Ripley, Crow Wing, MN, and his father, John F. Whitney died in May 1888 and was 74 years old. Jacob N. was born in New York and John F. was born in Vermont. His father John made the homestead entry at St. Cloud land office 3 Dec 1886. At this time Jacob's family consisted of a wife and 4 children. John F. Whitney at the time of his death had 5 children, grown. There are 2 witnesses to the fact that Jacob N. and John F. Whitney have lived on and cultivated the land since 1886. The files also contained a notarized paper signed by Jacob N. Whitney stating the names and ages of the heirs at law of John F. Whitney dated 19 Jun 1891. Jacob N. Whitney aged 49 years, Joseph B. Whitney aged 47 years, Sylvester Whitney aged 45 years, Hannah Graham aged 53, and Mary J. Beckman aged 43 years.
Information from the 1875 Minnesota State Census. John F. Whitney is living with his daughter and son in law in Maine Prairie, Stearns Co., MN:
- Samuel M. Beckman 30, male, white, born Ill., father Va., mother Pa.
- Mary J. Beckman 24, female, white, born Ill., father Ill., mother Ill.
- Mary H. Beckman 7, female, white, born Ill., father Ill., mother Ill.
- John F. Beckman 4, male, white, born Ill., father Ill., mother Ill.
- Sarah E. Beckman 2, female, white, born Ill., father Ill., mother Ill.
- John F. Whitney 60, male, white, born Vt., father Vt., mother Vt.
1885 Minnesota State Census. Mooresville, Crow Wing, Minnesota:
- J. N. Whitney 40, male, white, born New York
- Sarah Whitney 22, female, white, born Conn.
- Annie Whitney 0, female, white, born Minn.
- Jno. F. Whitney 70, male, white, born Vermont
Note:there is a Coleman family in the household between the Whitney's and Beckman's
- Samuel Beckman 40, male, white, born Ills.
- Mary Beckman 36, female, white, Ills.
- Mary Beckman 17, female, white, Ills.
- John F. Beckman 14, male, white, Ills.
- Sarah E. Beckman 12, female, white, Ills.
- Anna Beckman 6, female, white, Minn.
- Jacob Beckman 1, male, white, Minn.
- John Beckman 87, male, white, Virginia
The death entry at the Crow Wing, MN, Courthouse had the following information for John F. Whitney. Death date: May 23, 1888; Name: John F. Whitney; Male, White, Widower; Age: 74 years, 6 months, 7 days; Where born: Vermont; Cause of Death: Consumption; Where: Mooersville; Occupation: Doctor; Parents: James & H. Whitney; Date filed: June 8th 1888.
Children of John Franklin and Sarah (Nokes) Whitney:
i. Hannah Whitney, b. 27 Jun 1837, NY (likely Jay, Essex Co., NY); m. William C. Graham. ii. Jacob N. Whitney, b. Feb 1842, NY; m.(1) Jennie A. Burton; m.(2) Sarah S. Brundrett. iii. Joseph B. Whitney, b. 31 Mar 1844, IL; m. Anna S. Winslow. FindAGrave Memorial 39288665. iv. Sylvester Whitney, b. IL; m. Mary J. Walker. v. Mary Jane Whitney, b. Menard Co., IL; m. Samuel Morgan Beckman. vi. John N. Whitney, b. IL.
- 1840, Jay, Essex Co., NY: Franklin Whitney, 1 male 20-29, 2 females 20-29, and 2 females 0-4; 1 engaged in agriculture.
- 1850, Township 1 S Range 4 W, Brown Co., IL:
978 983 John F. Whitney 35 M - Miller Vt. Sarah " 34 F - Vt. Illiterate Hannah " 13 F - N.Y. Attended school Jacob " 8 M - " Attended school Joseph " 6 M - Ill. Attended school Sylvester " 4 M - " Rhody Hamlin 39 F - N.Y. Illiterate
1134 1087 John F. Whitney 44 M - Farmer 120 Vermont Sally " 44 F - Do Hannah " 22 F - New York Jacob " 18 M - Farm laborer Do Attended school Joseph " 17 M - Do Illinois Attended school Sylvester " 14 M - Do Attended school Mary J. " 9 F - Do Attended school John N. " 4 M - Do Oliver Cross 21 M - Farm laborer Do Isaac Long 16 M - Do Pennsylvania Attended school
- 1865, not found in Illinois or Minnesota state censuses.
- 1870: not found.
- 1880, Little Falls, Morrison Co., MN:
Alvina E. JUDD 59 Self F W W ME Farming NH ME Ezra WHITAKER 16 Son M S W IA At Home NY ME John F. WHITNEY 67 Oth M M W VT Eclectic Phisition NY NY
- Death Certificates