Family:Whitney, Mary (1750-c1785)

From WRG
Jump to navigationJump to search

Mary5 Whitney (Eliakim4, Nathan3, John2, Henry1), daughter of Eliakim4 and Mary (Beachgood) Whitney, was born 27 Feb 1750, Stamford, CT,[1] was baptized 15 Apr 1750, Stamford, CT,[2] and died about 1785, Kingston, NB. She was buried on the farm, Kingston, NB.

She married, 16 Sep 1773, Stamford, CT, Nathaniel Gorham, son of Shubael and Mary (Selleck) Gorham, of Stamford. He was born about 1750 or about Jan 1753, Stamford, CT, and died 9 Feb 1846, Kingston, NB, aged 94 years. He married secondly, Mary or Sarah Bostwick, by whom he had at least seven children.

He was a farmer. They remained loyal, and in 1783, settled at Kingston, NB.

See Sabine's American Loyalists, I., 484.

Children of Nathaniel and Mary5 (Whitney) Gorham:

i. Ann Gorham, b. ca. 1780; d. 19 Dec 1864, Greenwich, NB; bur. Oak Point Cemetery, Greenwich, NB; m. 23 Jan 1800, Kingston, NB, Daniel Peatman, a farmer, b. ca. 1767, Staten Island, NY, d. 19 May 1849, Greenwich, NB, bur. Oak Point Cemetery, Greenwich, NB, son of Daniel and Hester (Slack) Peatman, of Greenwich, NB. They settled at Greenwich. He went to New Brunswick, when about sixteen years old, with his father, landing at St. John, 18 May 1783. He was an honest man, highly esteemed by all who knew him. His last illness was caused by a fall from his carriage.
ii. Mary Gorham, b. -----; went, when a young woman, from New Brunswick to the United States, where she m.(1) ----- Proctor; m.(2) Sidney Mead, by whom she had children. It is said that they lived in Vermont, but no one has been found who can give their history.
iii. Charlotte Gorham, b. 14 Jul 1785, Kingston, NB; m. 13 Feb. 1806, Kingston, NB, Richard Whelpley, b. 6 Sep 1776, Long Island, NY, or CT, of Loyalist parents, who, in 1783, removed to New Brunswick; a farmer, and by trade, a tanner, currier, and shoemaker. They settled at Long Reach, in Kingston, and there died, and were buried in a cemetery on his farm, at Long Reach, opposite Rocky Island, on the River St. John. He went to New Brunswick in 1783, with his brother-in-law, Major Titus Brown. He was a captain of militia.


Copyright © 2017, Robert L. Ward and the Whitney Research Group.