Family:Whitney, Riley W. (1855-1926)
Riley W.9 Whitney (Henry Mason8, David7, Silas6, David5, Benjamin4, Thomas3, Thomas2, John1), son of Henry Mason8 and Maria A. (Wood) Whitney, was born Oct 1855, OH, and died 2 Oct 1926, Placerville, CA. He was buried in Old Uppertown Cemetery, Placerville, CA.
He married, 25 May 1880, Geauga Co., OH, Wealthy "Wella" J. Alderman, daughter of Henry and Lucena (Brown) Alderman. She was born May 1860, Chardon, OH, and died 1938, Placerville, CA. She was buried in Old Uppertown Cemetery, Placerville, CA.
He resided Marshaltown, IA.
The Mountain Democrat, Placerville, El Dorado Co., CA, Friday, Oct 2, 1925:
- Riley Whitney passed away Friday afternoon after a prolonged illness.
- He was born in Illinois[Ohio], was 70 year of age, and followed farming during his lifetime.
- Mr. and Mrs. Whitney resided on Spanish Ravine in upper town for several years and were well and favorably known in that section of Placerville.
- He leaves to mourn him a wife, Mrs. Nella [Wella] Whitney, and two sons, W. A. Whitney of Fresno and Wirt A. Whitney of Oakland.
- The funeral services were held at the home on Sunday afternoon at 2 o’clock., Rev. Chas. W. Null conducting the service. Burial was in the upper town cemetery.
- Mrs. Whitney has the sympathy of her many friends.
Children of Riley W.9 and Wealthy J. (Alderman) Whitney:
i. Wallace O.10 Whitney, b. 12 Feb 1881, Hambden, OH; m. Nellie M. Coakley. ii. Wayne Henry Whitney, b. Feb 1885, IA; d. 1960; bur. Old Uppertown Cemetery, Placerville, CA.
WWI draft reg card:
- Wayne Henry Whitney
- Rockton, Winnebago, IL, 35, W
- Inmate Hosptial, for insane
- Elgin, Kane, IL
- Arvington Whitney, Rockton, Winnebago, IL [sic]
iii. Wirt Albert Whitney, b. 21 May 1887, Marshall Co., IA; m. Florence Black/Block.
R. W. WHITNEY 24 Self M M W OH Farmer VT NY W. J. WHITNEY 20 Wife F M W OH Keeping House OH OH Maria WHITNEY 68 Moth F W W NY NY NY Albert WHITNEY 26 Bro M S W OH Student VT NY
Whitney, R. W. E. Head W M Oct 1850 49 mar 20 Ohio Vermont New York -----, Weathy J. Wife W F May 1855 45 mar 20 3ch 3liv Ohio Ohio Ohio -----, Walace W. Son W M Mar 1881 19 sgl Ohio Ohio Ohio -----, Wayne H. Son W M Feb 1885 15 sgl Iowa Ohio Ohio -----, Wirt A. Son W M Sep 1887 12 sgl Iowa Ohio Ohio
- 1910: not found.
- 1910, Schurz, Esmeralda Co., NV:
Wella Whitney head 47 W F mar20 3 ch 3 liv OH OH OH Cook in hotel
- 1910, Elgin Ward 6, Kane Co., IL, p. 237:
Elgin state hospital Wayne Henry Whitney inmate 27 IA OH OH
- 1920, Placerville, El Dorado Co., CA, p. 166:
Riley Whitney head 65 OH VT PA Willa Whitney wife 58 OH OH OH
- 1920, Elgin, Kane Co., IL, p. 211:
Elgin state hospital
Wayne H. Whitney inmate 36 S US US US
- 1930, Dixon, Lee Co., IL:
Wayne Henry Whitney inmate 45 S IA OH OH
- Census records.
- Information from Gar Watson.
Copyright © 2013, Gar Watson, Robert L. Ward and the Whitney Research Group.
- Missing from 1910 Census
- Alameda County, California
- Oakland, Alameda County, California
- El Dorado County, California
- Placerville, El Dorado County, California
- Fresno County, California
- Kane County, Illinois
- Elgin, Kane County, Illinois
- Lee County, Illinois
- Dixon, Lee County, Illinois
- Winnebago County, Illinois
- Rockton, Winnebago County, Illinois
- Marshall County, Iowa
- Marshalltown, Marshall County, Iowa
- Lyon County, Nevada
- Spragg, Lyon County, Nevada
- Geauga County, Ohio
- King County, Washington
- Seattle, King County, Washington
- Rock County, Wisconsin
- Beloit, Rock County, Wisconsin