Family:Whitney, Ruggles Nahum (1826-1865)
Ruggles Nahum8 Whitney (Abel7, James6, Samuel5, Samuel4, Nathaniel3, John2, John1), son of Abel7 and Elvira Triphosa (Beecher) Whitney, was born 6 Apr 1826, Newtown, CT, and died 6 Nov 1865, Florence, OH.
He married, 9 or 11 Jun 1848, Newtown, CT, Mary Jane Sherman, daughter of Warren and Catharine (Hamilton) Sherman. She was born 19 Aug 1826, Roxbury, CT, and died after 1880.
He was justice of the peace and town clerk of Florence. He resided Florence, OH.
Phoenix says the following:
- "Ruggles Nahum Whitney, b. in Newtown, Conn., 6 Ap. 1826: a trader; married at Sandy Hook, in Newtown, 9 June 1848, by Rev. George A. Hubbel, Methodist Episcopal, to Jane Sherman, whose father then lived at Sandy Hook. She was born in Roxbury, Conn., 19 Aug. 1826, dau. of Warren and Catharine (Hamilton) Sherman. They settled in Vermillion, Ohio; and in 1850, moved to Florence, Ohio, where he died 6 Nov. 1865. He was buried in Maple Grove Cemetery, in Vermillion. At the time of his death, he was justice of the peace, and town-clerk of Florence. His widow was living at 613 Greene Avenue, Brooklyn, N. Y., Sep 1874."
Children of Ruggles Nahum8 and Jane (Sherman) Whitney:
i. Lewis Edwin9 Whitney, b. 3 Sep 1850, Vermilion, OH; d. 3 Oct 1851, Florence, OH; buried Maple Grove Cemetery, Vermilion, OH. The 1850 census suggests that he was born in 1849, not 1850, but the gravestone inscription says 1850. ii. Evangeline Emily Whitney, b. 23 Aug 1852, Florence, OH; resided with mother, 613 Green Ave., Brooklyn, NY, in 1874; d. after 1880, then unmarried.
46 49 Abel Whitney 53 M - Farmer Connecticut Lavina Whitney 48 F - Do Eunice O. Whitney 26 F - Do Hannah Whitney 18 F - Do Attended school Charles Whitney 16 M - Laborer Do Attended school Theodore Whitney 10 M - Do Attended school Aurelia Whitney 8 F - Do Attended school Ruggles M. Whitney 24 M - Farmer Do Jane Whitney 23 F - Do Lewis E. Whitney 10/12 M - Ohio
934 917 R. N. Whitney 32 M - Merchant $900 $200 Conn. Jane Whitney 31 F - Conn. Eva Whitney 8 F - Ohio Attended school
- 1870, widow Mary Jane not found.
- 1870, Brooklyn Ward 22, Kings Co., NY:
496 603 Ford, Calvin B. 42 M W Clergyman $2000 Connecticut Male citizen over 21 -----, Sarah T. 44 F W Keeping house Connecticut -----, Harriet C. 11 F W At home Connecticut Whitney, Evangeline 18 F W At home Ohio
51 Frame $4000 53 Jane W. Whitney 50 F - ---- Conn. w - Eva E. " 23 F - Dau Ohio s Teacher 54 James Aldago 65 M - ---- Germany m Ship Carpenter - - - - 1 G Clarrisa " 65 F - Wife Conn. m - Elon Harrigan 21 F - Srvt Ireland s Domestic - - - 1 - - 55 Thomas Simmonson 32 M - ---- N. York m Express Agent - 1 - - 1 - Harriet " 31 F - Wife N. York m - Jerome M. " 2-1/2 M - Son Kings Co. s -
James W WHITNEY 60 Self M M W CT Dry Goods Merchant CT CT Anna M WHITNEY 56 Wife F M W NJ Keeping House PA PA Jane M WHITNEY 56 Cous F W W CT Housekeeper CT CT Evaline E WHITNEY 27 Cous F S W OH School Teacher CT CT Mary LYNCH 28 Othe F S W IRE House Servant IRE IRE
140 197 Hartwell, Charles Head W M Sep 1855 44 mar 11 China Massachusetts New Hampshire Teacher, Rents house, Imm. 1865 -----, Caroline M. Wife W F Sep 1854 45 mar 11 0ch 0liv Massachusetts Massachusetts Massachusetts Allen, Katie Srvt W F Apr 1881 19 sgl New York New York Germany Servant 198 Welan, John Head W M Mar 1870 30 sgl New York Ireland Ireland Clerk Bank, Rents house -----, Mary Moth W F Apr 1843 57 wid 6ch 3liv Ireland Ireland Ireland -----, Ida Sist W F Nov 1875 24 sgl New York Ireland Ireland -----, Isabel M. Sist W F Mar 1873 27 sgl New York Ireland Ireland Round, Charles Brdr W M Apr 1881 19 sgl New York England England Salesman Shoes 199 Whitney, Jane M. Head W F Aug 1824 75 wid 2ch 1liv Connecticut Connecticut Connecticut House -----, Evanjoline E. Dau W F Jul 1859 40 sgl Ohio Connecticut Connecticut Teacher 200 Becker, James P. Head W M Jan 1866 34 mar 1 New York New York New York Doctor MD, Rents house -----, Grace S. Wife W F Aug 1869 31 mar 1 0ch 0liv New York New York New York 201 Folliard, Michel Head W M May 1848 52 mar 25 New York Ireland Ireland Janitor, Owns house -----, Catherine Wife W F Jan 1856 44 mar 25 8ch 5liv New York Ireland Ireland -----, James Son W M Feb 1878 21 sgl New York New York New York Salesman Dry Goods -----, Elizebeth Dau W F Oct 1883 16 sgl New York New York New York -----, David Son W M Jun 1884 15 sgl New York New York New York Clerk Real Estate -----, Robert Son W M Oct 1888 11 sgl New York New York New York At School
- All data imported from Frederick Clifton Pierce, The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635, (Chicago: 1895), p. 467.
- Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 743; and p. 1563.