Family:Whitney, Stephen Merit (1794-1885)
He married firstly, 22 Sep 1822, Derby, CT, Charlotte Lewis, daughter of James and Hannah (Stone) Lewis. She was born 25 Sep 1793, Derby, CT, and died 19 Dec 1848, Mount Vernon, OH.
He married secondly, 7 Sep 1851, Columbus, OH, Ann Eliza (Weber) Flintham, daughter of Christian and Charlotte (Casselberry) Weber. She was born about 1817, Skippack and Perkiomen, PA, and died after 1880. She had married firstly, William Flintham.
Phoenix says the following:
- "Stephen Merit Whitney, b. at Derby, Conn., 17 Feb. 1794; a master-mariner; married, 22 Sept. 1822, at Derby, Charlotte Lewis, dau. of James and Hannah (Stone) Lewis, of Derby, where she was born 25 Sept. 1793. He lived in New York City from 1808 to 1812, and followed the sea from 1812 to 1833, being master of several ships in the China and East India trade. They settled at Gambier, Ohio, in 1833; and moved, in 1835, to Mount Vernon, Ohio, where she died 19 Dec. 1848. He went to Columbus, Ohio, on the death of his wife, and there married (2d), 7 Sept. 1851, Ann Eliza Weber, of Jeffersonville, Penn., dau. of Christian and Charlotte (Casselberry) Weber, of Norriton, Penn., and widow of William Flintham. She was born in Skippack and Perkiomen, Penn. They moved from Columbus, in 1852, to Salem, Ohio, and from there, in 1864, to Norristown, Penn., where they were living in April 1876, he being an active member of the Episcopal Church, and a hale, hearty, Christian old man."
Children of Stephen Merit6 and Charlotte (Lewis) Whitney:
i. James Lewis7 Whitney, b. 27 Jul 1823, Derby, CT; bapt. 9 Nov 1823, Derby, CT; d. 18 Jan 1825, Brooklyn, NY; bur. Brooklyn, NY. ii. Sarah Lewis Whitney, b. 7 Apr 1825, Brooklyn, NY; bapt. 6 Jan 1829, Derby, CT; m. Ebenezer Gay Woodward. iii. Ann Prince Whitney, b. 7 May 1827, Derby, CT; bapt. 27 Oct 1828, Derby, CT; d. 1 Apr 1832, Brooklyn, NY; bur. Brooklyn, NY. iv. Leonard Whitney, b. 17 Jun 1829, Brooklyn, NY; bapt. 1 Oct 1830, Derby, CT; m. Mary Eliza Doherty. v. Emeline Dore Whitney, b. 27 Jan 1832, Brooklyn, NY; m. 12 Dec 1850, Knox Co., OH, Thomas Thompson Eckert. vi. Theodore Bliss Whitney, b. 21 Aug 1834, Gambier, OH; d. 21 Sep 1834, Gambier, OH. vii. Ellen Stone Whitney, b. 10 Nov 1835, Gambier, OH; m. 18 Apr 1858, Richland Co., OH, Thomas Francis Stewart. viii. Mary Eliza Whitney, b. 28 Oct 1838, Mount Vernon, OH; m. Reginald Heber Brown.
Children of Stephen Merit6 and Ann Eliza (Weber)(Flintham) Whitney:
ix. Charles Lewis Whitney, b. 19 Jun 1852 (twin), Columbus, OH; resided Conshohocken, PA, June 1875, unmarried; a printer, of the firm of Hallman and Whitney, publishers of the Daily News, of which the fiftieth number was issued 4 June 1875. x. Charlotte Lewis Whitney, b. 19 Jun 1852 (twin), Columbus, OH; d. 8 Sep 1852, Columbus, OH. xi. Ada Louisa Whitney, b. 18 Apr 1854, Salem, OH; unmarried 1880. xi. Rose Elliot Whitney, b. 10 May 1856, Salem, OH; d. 31 Oct 1858, Salem, OH. xiii. Flora Stephen Whitney, b. 21 Oct 1858, Salem, OH. xiv. Edward Evans Whitney, b. 6 May 1862, Salem, OH.
- 1830, Brooklyn, Kings Co., NY: Stephen M. Whitney, 2 males 30-39, 1 male 15-19, 1 male 0-4, 1 female 40-49, 2 females 15-19, 1 female 5-9, and 1 female 0-4.
- 1840, Mount Vernon, Knox Co., OH: Stephen M. Whitney, 1 male 40-49, 1 male 20-29, 1 male 10-14, 1 female 40-49, 3 females 15-19, 1 female 10-14, and 2 females 0-4; 1 engaged in manufacture or trades, 1 in learned professions or engineers.
- 1850, Stephen, Emeline, and Ellen not found.
- 1850, Mount Vernon Ward 1, Knox Co., OH:
Boarding House 379 402 Ann Brown 69 F - Virginia ... Sarah Whitney 25 F - N. York Brooklyn Mary " 11 F - Ohio Knox Co. Attended school ...
1283 1265 Stephen M. Whitney 66 M - Painter $500 $100 Conn. Ann E. " 44 F - Pa. Charles L. " 7 M - O. Attended school Ada L. " 6 F - " Attended school Flora S. " 1 F - " Ann E. Flintham 10 F - " Attended school
673 730 Whitney, Stephen 76 M W House Painter $2800 $300 Connecticut Male citizen over 21 -----, Anna E. 53 F W Keeping House Penna. -----, Charles 18 M W Prnter Ohio -----, Ada 16 F W At home Ohio Attended school -----, Flora 11 F W At home Ohio Attended school -----, Edward 8 M W At home Ohio Attended school -----, Anna E. 20 F W At home Ohio
The last daughter seems to have been a Flintham, daughter of Anna E. by her first husband.
Stephen M. WHITNEY 86 Self M M W CT Retired Sea Captain CT CT Anna E. WHITNEY 63 Wife F M W PA Keeping House PA PA Eda L. WHITNEY 26 Dau F S W OH Dressmaking CT PA Edward E. WHITNEY 18 Son M S W OH CT PA
- All data imported from Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 341 and pp. 908-910.