Family:Whitney, Walter (1760-1846)
He married, 21 Apr 1784, Fairfield, CT, Anah Wells, parentage unknown, possibly daughter of Hezekiah and Elizabeth (Nichols) Wells of Fairfield. She was born 23 Aug 1759, CT, and died 30 Jan 1845, Albany, NY, aged 85 years 5 months 7 days.
Phoenix says the following:
- Walter Whitney, b. at Fairfield, Conn., 23 Jan. 1760, according to family-record, while the town-record says, 3 Feb. 1760; served from 1 Ap. 1777 to 15 Dec. 1779, in a company of artillery, and was, in later life, a school-teacher and farmer; married, 21 Ap. 1784, at Fairfield, Anah Wells, who was born in Connecticut, 23 Aug. 1759. They dwelt at Fairfield, till 1788; at New Milford, Conn., till Oct. 1789; then settled on the Helderberg Mountains, in the present town of Bern, N. Y., after which they dwelt in Bethlehem, N. Y., New Scotland, N. Y., and, in June 1796, at Watervliet, N. Y.; then, for several years, in Meredith, N. Y., till about 1825 or 1828, when they settled in Albany, N. Y. There they died; she, at 16 Jackson Street, 30 Jan. 1845, aged 85 years, 5 months, and 7 days; he, at 26 DeWitt Street, in consequence of a fall, 18 July 1846, in his 87th year. They were buried at the head of State Street, but now rest in one grave, in lot 159, section 92, on Long Ridge, in Albany Rural Cemetery, covered by a large slab of marble, which, besides the usual inscriptions, bears the American Eagle, the motto "E Pluribus Unum," and various military insignia, to commemorate his service in the Revolutionary War. They were members of the Presbyterian Church. The census of 1840 exaggerates his age to 87 years.
Children of Walter5 and Anah (Wells) Whitney:
i. Hezekiah Wells6 Whitney, b. 3 Jan 1785, Fairfield, CT; m.(1) Rebecca McWilliams; m.(2) Chloe Williams. ii. Charles Whitney, b. 5 Sep 1787, Fairfield, CT; m. Jane White. iii. Betsey Whitney, b. 28 Sep 1789, New Milford, CT; m. John Fowler. iv. Amy Whitney, b. 3 Feb 1793, New Scotland, NY; m. Salmon Britton. v. Nehemiah Whitney, b. 15 Jun 1795, Bethlehem, NY; m.(1) Phebe Stilson; m.(2) ----- (-----) Fitts. vi. Mary Whitney, b. 12 Jun 1799; m. Ira Hill.
- 1790, Watervliet, Albany Co., NY: W alter Whitney, 1 male over 16, 2 males 0-15, and 2 females.
- 1800, Bethleham, Albany Co., NY: Walter Whitney, 1 male 26-44, 1 male 10-15, 1 male 0-9, 1 female 26-44, 1 female 10-15, and 2 females 0-9.
- 1810, Bethleham, Albany Co., NY: Wells Whitney, 1 male over 45, 1 male 26-44, 1 male 16-25, 2 males 0-9, 1 female 26-44, 1 female 16-25, 1 female 10-15, and 3 females 0-9. This was his son Hezekiah Wells Whitney. The male over 45 is likely Walter himself.
- 1820: not found.
- 1830: not found.
- 1840, Albany Ward 2, Albany Co., NY: Walter Whitney, 1 male 80-89 and 1 female 80-89; Walter Whitney, Pensioner, aged 87.
- All data imported from Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), pp. 87-88 and pp. 250-252.