Family:Whitney, John P. (1838-1905)
John P.9 Whitney (Warren8, John7, John6, Nathan5, Thomas4, Eleazer3, Thomas2, John1), son of Warren8 and Lorinda N. (Austin) Whitney, was born 26 Jun 1838, NY, and died 19 May 1905, Cherokee, IA. He was buried in Afton Cemetery, Cherokee Co., IA.
He married, 1859-1860, Harriet Bratt, daughter of Michael and Hannah (Paris) Bratt. She was born 1840, Outagamie Co., WI, or MI, and died 1927, Cherokee, IA.
His obituary [19 Mar 1905]:
- A PIONEER IS DEAD
- John Whitney Succumbed to Heart Disease of Friday.
- Was Alone When the Final Summons Came to Him -- Funeral this Morning.
- John Whitney, who has been a resident of Cherokee county since 1867, died at his home in Spring township on Friday last. For a number of years Mr. Whitney had been troubled with a serious affection of the heart and it was the expectation of his family and friends that he would sime time pass away suddenly. On Friday his wife and daughter were in Cherokee and his son who still remains at home was out at work. Mr. Whitney was alone at the house and when members of the family returned he was found dead, the end having come suddenly and peacefully to him.
- The funeral occurred at 10 o'clock this morning, services being conducted at the old home by Rev. E. E. Gilbert. The deceased was a member of the Odd Fellows lodge of Cherokee and about thirty members of the order went out to assist with the last sad rites. The remains were interred in the Afton cemetery.
- In the history of Cherokee county, published in 1889, we find the following concerning the deceased:
- John Whitney has been identified with the interest of Cherokee county since June, 1867. He was born in Onondaga county, New York, June 26, 1838. His father was Warren Whitney, a native of Vermont, of French descent, and his mother's name was Lorinda Austin; she was born in the State of New York, and was of Dutch descent. Young Whitney was only thirteen years of age when he went to Wisconsin and settled in Dane county; thence he removed to Outagamie county. In 1866 he decided to go to Iowa and look up a location, the year following brought his family to their neew home. He had entered eighty acres of government land in Afton township, on which he built a house and made many other improvements. He sold his place and invested in land in Spring township; as his means increased he made additions to his first purchase until he now owns 500 acres in Spring and Cedar townships, which is well improved and in an advanced state of cultivation. He devotes his exclusive time and attention to agricultural pursuits, and his success is evident to the casual observer, as there is an unmistakable air of thrift about the Whitney farm. Mr. Whitney was united in marriage to Miss Harriet Brott, a native of Outagamie county, Wisconsin, and a daughter of Michael and Hannah (Paris) Brott. Mr. and Mrs. Whitney are the parents of eight children: Mary, wife of Henry Coleman; Laura, wife of Ezra Ware; Hattie, wife of Peter Farley; John J., Hannah, Warren, Nellie and Walter. Since his residence in the county Mr. Whitney has done his share in forwarding all enterprises having for their object the advancement of the community, and he is recognized as one of the reliable and leading farmers of the county.
Children of John P.9 and Harriet (Bratt) Whitney:
i. Mary J.10 Whitney, b. ca. 1861, WI; d. 1961; m. Henry Coleman. ii. Laura Adele Whitney, b. 21 Dec 1861, Outagamie, WI; d. 9 May 1937, Afton, IA; bur. Afton Cemetery, Cherokee Co., IA; m. 13 Oct 1878, David Ezra Ware. iii. Hattie May Whitney, b. Sep 1869, Iowa City, IA; d. 16 Mar 1917, Jefferson Co., KY; m. Peter Farley. iv. John J. Whitney, b. ca. 1871, IA; probably the John J. Whitney, m. Cloy -----, and resided Galena, Woods Co., OK, 1900-1940. v. Hannah Annetta Whitney, b. Aug 1877, IA; d. 13 Nov 1959, Ewing or Neligh, NE; m. Rollin Lester Tuttle. vi. Warren D. Whitney, b. ca. 1879, IA; m.(1) Mable Edna O'Leary; m.(2) Alma A. -----; res. Cherokee Co., IA, and Brookings Co., SD. vii. Nellie Whitney, b. Oct 1881, IA; d. 1981, IA. viii. Walter Whitney, b. Apr 1884, IA; d. 1984, IA; m. Elizabeth M. -----; res. Cherokee Co., IA
841 810 John Whitney 23 M - Farmer $500 $350 New York Married in year Harriet " 20 F - Housewife Michigan Married in year
40 41 Whitney, John 33 M W Farmer $1100 $550 New York Male citizen over 21 -----, Harriet 30 F W Keeping H. Mich. -----, Mary J. 9 F W Wis. -----, Laura J. 8 F W Wis. -----, Hattie M. 1 F W Iowa
John WHITNEY 42 Self M M W NY Farmer VT NY Harriett WHITNEY 40 Wife F M W MI Keeping House OH OH Hattie WHITNEY 11 Dau F S W IA Attending School NY MI John J. WHITNEY 9 Son M S W IA NY MI Hannah A. WHITNEY 3 Dau F S W IA NY MI Warren WHITNEY 1 Son M S W IA NY MI
50 50 Whitney, John Head W M Jun 1838 61 mar 40 New York Vermont New York Farmer, Owns mortgaged farm -----, Harriet Wife W F Apr 1840 60 mar 40 12ch 8liv Michigan Ohio Ohio -----, Nellie Dau W F Oct 1881 18 sgl Iowa New York Michigan At school -----, Walter Son W M Apr 1884 16 sgl Iowa New York Michigan At school
- Census records.